Setting up Caches for an event

GirlGeekUpNorth

I'm attending an event in August called EMF Camp, and as an activity we would like to introduce people to geocaching.

We're getting permission to hide caches on the grounds of the park, and we'll be sure to follow all guidelines. The only issue is that we won't be able to place them until the day before the event. The caches will remain after the event, so they're not temporary, but I'm worried that if I submit caches on the Thursday, they won't be live on the Friday for when the event starts.

I've not submitted my own cache before, does anyone know how long verification can take?

I'm attending an event in August called EMF Camp, and as an activity we would like to introduce people to geocaching.

We're getting permission to hide caches on the grounds of the park, and we'll be sure to follow all guidelines. The only issue is that we won't be able to place them until the day before the event. The caches will remain after the event, so they're not temporary, but I'm worried that if I submit caches on the Thursday, they won't be live on the Friday for when the event starts.

I've not submitted my own cache before, does anyone know how long verification can take?

Get friendly with your local reviewer. Send them an email to inform them what you'd like to do and how to best handle it.

There are times that you can submit a cache for review a few weeks in advance (this gives a reviewer a chance to look it over) but have it published at a certain time.

The advertised time frame is 7 days. Asking to Publish a Listing within the short time frame you've described seems doomed to failure. My suggestion would be the following:

1. Get coordinates of your proposed cache locations a week or two in advance.

2. Make up your Listing pages and ask for a Saturation check, as outlined in the following Help Center article:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

3. 3-4 days before the Event (or more, if possible), submit your Listings (if no adjustments are needed after step 2) and request that they get Published on a particular date. Sometimes the Volunteer Reviewers can honor the request, sometimes not. They have lives too, so don't hold your breath.

Good luck.

Edited by Touchstone

"We're getting", and "we have" permission might produce a different outcome. :)

It'd be the pits getting all worked into this, to not have permission.

Why can they only be placed the day before the event?

If it's distance, maintenance will be an issue (vacation cache), and it's possible the Reviewer won't publish without a valid maintenance plan.

If it's muggles, it'd be nice to see how long they'd last, even if just a week or two before.

As mentioned, you should work closely with your reviewer. Here's some info about doing a "saturation check" to pre-screen your cache locations: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

It's best to place the containers and set up the pages, before that Thursday. Not submitted for review for activation, just have them ready to go. You should ensure that all the caches can be published, so there are no surprises on the day you hoped for them to be active.

There are some considerations about "introducing people to geocaching". Unless they've already installed the Geocaching App and signed up on the site, they can't load the cache pages. Since the caches might not be active immediately on the specified day, even members might not be able to load the pages. One thing you could do is have coords and basic info printed out for people who wish to play. They'd still need to get at least their basic mapping or navigation Apps functioning (or borrow GPSrs for the hunt), but they could go find caches regardless of whether the pages are active. Have a backup plan in case the caches aren't active as you hope. Whenever the caches are online, members can then log the find.

Edited by kunarion

I'm attending an event in August called EMF Camp

Uh, so it's NOT a geocaching event?

https://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Field_2016

I don't think "introducing" people to geocaching and placing caches for that occasion is a good idea.

You need to thoroughly read the Guidelines ... over and over again, before attempting to hide caches.

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

In addition to the Saturation Guidelines...

Geocache must be in place before you enable the listing.

Your cache should be in place and ready to be found at the time your cache listing is enabled online. If the cache is not ready for seeking, disable your cache listing so that it won't appear in the review queue and post a Reviewer Note explaining special circumstances, such as awaiting permission from a land manager.

Placing a large number of geocaches to be published on the same date requires advanced planning.

Submit the cache listings at least ten days in advance of the requested release date. Post a Note to Reviewer on the cache listings requesting that the caches be published on the date specified. Reviewers will strive to accommodate reasonable requests. Caches placed in connection with an event must be left in place after the event. See "Geocache Permanence" above.

To start with...

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Get friendly with your local reviewer. Send them an email to inform them what you'd like to do and how to best handle it.

There are times that you can submit a cache for review a few weeks in advance (this gives a reviewer a chance to look it over) but have it published at a certain time.

Thanks, this is great advice!

The advertised time frame is 7 days. Asking to Publish a Listing within the short time frame you've described seems doomed to failure. My suggestion would be the following:

1. Get coordinates of your proposed cache locations a week or two in advance.

2. Make up your Listing pages and ask for a Saturation check, as outlined in the following Help Center article:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

3. 3-4 days before the Event (or more, if possible), submit your Listings (if no adjustments are needed after step 2) and request that they get Published on a particular date. Sometimes the Volunteer Reviewers can honor the request, sometimes not. They have lives too, so don't hold your breath.

Good luck.

Thank you, this might be an option, I'll look into it further :)

"We're getting", and "we have" permission might produce a different outcome. :)

It'd be the pits getting all worked into this, to not have permission.

Why can they only be placed the day before the event?

If it's distance, maintenance will be an issue (vacation cache), and it's possible the Reviewer won't publish without a valid maintenance plan.

If it's muggles, it'd be nice to see how long they'd last, even if just a week or two before.

I have permission from the event organisers, the location is public access, but as a courtesy we're asking the people who look after the park also. The reason they can only be placed the day before is the event is held 300 miles from my house, and I won't be able to go down in advance just for cache placing purposes.

As mentioned, you should work closely with your reviewer. Here's some info about doing a "saturation check" to pre-screen your cache locations: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

It's best to place the containers and set up the pages, before that Thursday. Not submitted for review for activation, just have them ready to go. You should ensure that all the caches can be published, so there are no surprises on the day you hoped for them to be active.

There are some considerations about "introducing people to geocaching". Unless they've already installed the Geocaching App and signed up on the site, they can't load the cache pages. Since the caches might not be active immediately on the specified day, even members might not be able to load the pages. One thing you could do is have coords and basic info printed out for people who wish to play. They'd still need to get at least their basic mapping or navigation Apps functioning (or borrow GPSrs for the hunt), but they could go find caches regardless of whether the pages are active. Have a backup plan in case the caches aren't active as you hope. Whenever the caches are online, members can then log the find.

Thank you, this is something I'll bear in mind.

I'm attending an event in August called EMF Camp

Uh, so it's NOT a geocaching event?

https://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Field_2016

I don't think "introducing" people to geocaching and placing caches for that occasion is a good idea.

You need to thoroughly read the Guidelines ... over and over again, before attempting to hide caches.

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

In addition to the Saturation Guidelines...

Geocache must be in place before you enable the listing.

Your cache should be in place and ready to be found at the time your cache listing is enabled online. If the cache is not ready for seeking, disable your cache listing so that it won't appear in the review queue and post a Reviewer Note explaining special circumstances, such as awaiting permission from a land manager.

Placing a large number of geocaches to be published on the same date requires advanced planning.

Submit the cache listings at least ten days in advance of the requested release date. Post a Note to Reviewer on the cache listings requesting that the caches be published on the date specified. Reviewers will strive to accommodate reasonable requests. Caches placed in connection with an event must be left in place after the event. See "Geocache Permanence" above.

To start with...

B.

I have to disagree on your first point. Just because it's not a geocaching event doesn't make it unsuitable to introduce people to the hobby at all. It's hundred of geeks in a field who have gathered to be exposed to new things, this is the perfect place to have a geocaching event running as part of everything else going on.

Your other points I will take into consideration, thank you for the info.

I think that it's looking unlikely I can pull this off without a ton of effort and a high risk, so I'm going to see if we can use existing caches in the area instead. There are none currently on site, but there are some in the area, so hopefully we can make it work, but this information is great to know guys, thank you very much!

...I'm going to see if we can use existing caches in the area instead. There are none currently on site, but there are some in the area, so hopefully we can make it work, but this information is great to know guys, thank you very much!

Please make sure you contact the owners of those caches and let them know what you're considering. Not all cache owners would like hundreds of "muggles" descending on their cache, so they may decide to temporarily disable their cache while your event is going on.

1467143388[/url]' post='5593447']

The reason they can only be placed the day before is the event is held 300 miles from my house, and I won't be able to go down in advance just for cache placing purposes.

This will be an issue for you. It is generally expected that if there's a problem that you'll fix the problem within a month.

Reviewers will look at your home location (Manchester area) and see that you are quite a distance away (3hours and 40 minutes drive - 7/8 hour train ride) and unlikely to be able to maintain your caches in a timely fashion.

Anyway, do you really want to spend the time and gas money?

Use what's already there, the trail is already saturated. But as a courtesy to the owners of those caches, ask them if it's OK.

Edited by L0ne.R

Unless you normally drive 300 miles from your house to the area, placement will probably be an issue with your Reviewer due to maintenance issues (as stated earlier...).

When you place a cache, you agree to the listing guidelines.

One is:

You assure us that you have the landowner's and/or land manager's permission before you hide any geocache, whether placed on private or public property.

- You say "I have permission from the event organisers, the location is public access, but as a courtesy we're asking the people who look after the park also"

If the event organizers aren't the landowner, it's not permission to place a cache on another's property.

We've been to many "public access" areas that still require permission to place a cache. :)

It's hundred of geeks in a field who have gathered to be exposed to new things, this is the perfect place to have a geocaching event running as part of everything else going on.
FWIW, when I've introduced (or helped introduce) newbies to geocaching, I've done it a couple ways, depending on the amount of time available.

If the entire intro class is going to last an hour or less (which seems likely for an intro geocaching class that is part of a larger "geeks in a field" event), then I spend about half an hour explaining the basics of geocaching, and then spend the remaining time having people search for temporary cache containers that I've hidden just for the class. The first half-hour is as hands-on as I can make it, with examples of different types of containers, trackables, trade items, etc. to pass around. For the rest of the time, I try to hide at least as many containers as there will be students in the class. I hide them all in the same general area, prior to the class, with as much variety as I can manage. Then I take the class to that area after the "classroom" intro, and have them raise their hands when they spot a container that hasn't been identified yet.

If the entire class is going to last a few hours, then we still start with about half an hour at the trailhead explaining the basics, then break up into small groups (half a dozen at most), with an experienced geocacher assigned to each group, and a loaner device for each group. Then we set off to find geocaches. An ideal class location will have a wide variety of container/camouflage types within easy walking distance, to give newbies a broad exposure to different types of caches.

It's hundred of geeks in a field who have gathered to be exposed to new things, this is the perfect place to have a geocaching event running as part of everything else going on.
FWIW, when I've introduced (or helped introduce) newbies to geocaching, I've done it a couple ways, depending on the amount of time available.

If the entire intro class is going to last an hour or less (which seems likely for an intro geocaching class that is part of a larger "geeks in a field" event), then I spend about half an hour explaining the basics of geocaching, and then spend the remaining time having people search for temporary cache containers that I've hidden just for the class. The first half-hour is as hands-on as I can make it, with examples of different types of containers, trackables, trade items, etc. to pass around. For the rest of the time, I try to hide at least as many containers as there will be students in the class. I hide them all in the same general area, prior to the class, with as much variety as I can manage. Then I take the class to that area after the "classroom" intro, and have them raise their hands when they spot a container that hasn't been identified yet.

If the entire class is going to last a few hours, then we still start with about half an hour at the trailhead explaining the basics, then break up into small groups (half a dozen at most), with an experienced geocacher assigned to each group, and a loaner device for each group. Then we set off to find geocaches. An ideal class location will have a wide variety of container/camouflage types within easy walking distance, to give newbies a broad exposure to different types of caches.

This sounds perfect, could you elaborate on how you set up temporary caches?

The initial plan was to start with a short talk on geocaching and the basics, then hand out some information and guides, and have people go on the hunt, so if we can set up some temp caches for the event, that would be perfect!

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been moved to the UK section of the forum. They may provide more local expertise.

Local expertise isn't really necessary when one wants to set up private, temporary caches to show muggles about geocaching during a non-geocaching camping/maker festival.

B.

Basically, I gather an assortment of containers and hide them. For my most recent geocaching class at church, I picked a corner of a patio area where an olive tree grows, with other shrubs nearby. Since I was expecting 15-20 kids in each class, I hid a couple dozen containers.

After the "classroom" session, I led all the kids over to the corner of the patio and indicated the general area where I had hidden the caches. I asked them to raise their hands when they spotted a cache that no one else had pointed out yet. I also gave them a line to stand behind, so everyone could see the area where the caches were hidden. There was no GPS use at all; I just led everyone to the spot, told them where to stand, and told them the boundaries of the area where the caches were hidden.

For these temporary caches, you can get away with using cheap containers that aren't weatherproof. Several of mine are cheap plastic containers covered with camouflage duct tape, with a wire hanger added. But it's important to include a variety of cache types. I've used monofilament line to hang a cache or two in the olive tree. I've stuck caches in the nooks and crannies of the olive tree's bark. I've hung caches in the bushes. Some of these are camouflage pattern, some are plain green, some are bright primary colors. I've used a few camouflaged caches, and a few magnetic caches stuck to the patio benches or other steel objects.

When I start, there's a rush as the kids (and sometimes adults) spot the easy ones. But then it slows down as they work on spotting the ones that are harder to identify.

Basically, I gather an assortment of containers and hide them. For my most recent geocaching class at church, I picked a corner of a patio area where an olive tree grows, with other shrubs nearby. Since I was expecting 15-20 kids in each class, I hid a couple dozen containers.

After the "classroom" session, I led all the kids over to the corner of the patio and indicated the general area where I had hidden the caches. I asked them to raise their hands when they spotted a cache that no one else had pointed out yet. I also gave them a line to stand behind, so everyone could see the area where the caches were hidden. There was no GPS use at all; I just led everyone to the spot, told them where to stand, and told them the boundaries of the area where the caches were hidden.

For these temporary caches, you can get away with using cheap containers that aren't weatherproof. Several of mine are cheap plastic containers covered with camouflage duct tape, with a wire hanger added. But it's important to include a variety of cache types. I've used monofilament line to hang a cache or two in the olive tree. I've stuck caches in the nooks and crannies of the olive tree's bark. I've hung caches in the bushes. Some of these are camouflage pattern, some are plain green, some are bright primary colors. I've used a few camouflaged caches, and a few magnetic caches stuck to the patio benches or other steel objects.

When I start, there's a rush as the kids (and sometimes adults) spot the easy ones. But then it slows down as they work on spotting the ones that are harder to identify.

Thank you so much for the tips! I'm excited that we can make this happen now :)

When you explain geocaching to them also mention what makes a good overall geocache. Things like:

• a pleasant location
  • a nice hide
  • a quality watertight long-lasting containers that can handle outdoor environments
  • report issues with the cache via online logging
  • follow the guidelines
    • no trespassing
    • no defacement or damage

[*]responsible cache ownership

• long term maintenance (don't set-em-and-forget-em)
    • quick attention to issues that may arise
    • removing their cache and archiving the listing when they no longer want to take care of their cache and listing

Let them know that there's a website, it's not just an app game. Logging their finds is not just a scoring activity but for many cache hiders a meaningful online log is the motivating factor for hiding caches.

Emphasise striving for all-round quality.

When you explain geocaching to them also mention what makes a good overall geocache.
On the other hand, I never cover the "hiding" side of the game in any detail. I do explain that geocaches are placed by individual geocachers (not by "a geocaching company"), and that there are a number of rules/guidelines that must be followed, and I mention a few of the rules that affect seekers (e.g., no digging).

But in general, I find that newbies usually have enough information to process just learning about the "finding" side of the game, so I tell them that there will be more to learn if/when they decide to hide a cache of their own, and leave it at that.