First cache

sburbplayer

I'm looking to do a cache in a local library. I have read all the material and understand I need permission. If I get the permission, is it an okay spot? The library needs a lot more attention than it currently has and I was afraid that putting a cache there and asking people to please check out a book there would be considered "advertising" and void the guidelines.

The place is a good spot. The workers there are very kind and enjoy speaking about the history of the island. There are usually some old historic photos in there as well!

There are several cachers that like "library caches".

-- Oftentimes, the cache "container" is a book with the pages cut out to form a pocket where the logbook and swag (trade items) can be stored.

-- Or the book has blank pages and is itself the logbook. although this would mean there's no place to leave swag.

However, requiring or asking cachers to check out a library book is not a good idea and I suspect would not get published. As you mentioned, it might run afoul of the guidelines. The best person to ask would be your local reviewer. You can find your local reviewer by looking at a recently published cache, scrolling to the first/bottom log entry on the page, and clicking on the username next to the "Published" log.

Edited by noncentric

You're talking about in the library? Sounds like a good opportunity for muggles or misplacement, just my thoughts. What are the hours of the library? Likely it means I can't go find it on a day off or Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc. I'm not against the idea just saying a few things that come to mind.

I'm looking to do a cache in a local library. I have read all the material and understand I need permission. If I get the permission, is it an okay spot? The library needs a lot more attention than it currently has and I was afraid that putting a cache there and asking people to please check out a book there would be considered "advertising" and void the guidelines.

The place is a good spot. The workers there are very kind and enjoy speaking about the history of the island. There are usually some old historic photos in there as well!

-- Oftentimes, the cache "container" is a book with the pages cut out to form a pocket where the logbook and swag (trade items) can be stored.

-- Or the book has blank pages and is itself the logbook. although this would mean there's no place to leave swag.

However, requiring or asking cachers to check out a library book is not a good idea and I suspect would not get published. As you mentioned, it might run afoul of the guidelines. The best person to ask would be your local reviewer. You can find your local reviewer by looking at a recently published cache, scrolling to the first/bottom log entry on the page, and clicking on the username next to the "Published" log.

Library caches are very popular and putting a cache there (with permission) would be fine. Just be careful how you word the cache page--your write-up should focus on the cache not the library. Don't mention that you are trying to bring attention to the library, and don't ask people to check out books. Don't suggest that people should interact with the staff, although I think it would be okay to mention what you did say here. Of course it will need to be at least .1 mile from the existing cache. Take your time to make it a really great cache, and while you're working on it, also take the time to find more caches.

Edited to add:

Here is a link to the only library cache that I have found.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2M5EM_read-it-here

Edited by NanCycle

Library caches are very popular and putting a cache there (with permission) would be fine. Just be careful how you word the cache page--your write-up should focus on the cache not the library. Don't mention that you are trying to bring attention to the library, and don't ask people to check out books. Don't suggest that people should interact with the staff, although I think it would be okay to mention what you did say here. Of course it will need to be at least .1 mile from the existing cache. Take your time to make it a really great cache, and while you're working on it, also take the time to find more caches.

How have I not heard of the .1 mile rule? I've honestly never seen it anywhere. I knew there were rules for multicaches or waypoints? I'm afraid if that's true the caches would be too close. The community is a really small place sadly.. I thought I've seen two different peoples caches close together.. I guess they weren't as close as I thought?

How have I not heard of the .1 mile rule? I've honestly never seen it anywhere. I knew there were rules for multicaches or waypoints? I'm afraid if that's true the caches would be too close. The community is a really small place sadly.. I thought I've seen two different peoples caches close together.. I guess they weren't as close as I thought?

It's been in effect for years. If you've looked through the guidelines I, surprised you haven't seen any mention of the saturation guidelines.

And that's only for physical stages, so a fake location on a puzzle cache, or an even cache can appear to be 10 feet from a traditional pn the maps. But physical containers (of different caches) aren't that close.

It's been in effect for years. If you've looked through the guidelines I, surprised you haven't seen any mention of the saturation guidelines.

And that's only for physical stages, so a fake location on a puzzle cache, or an even cache can appear to be 10 feet from a traditional pn the maps. But physical containers (of different caches) aren't that close.

oh I must've assumed that meant like parts of a multicache. How can I check how close two points are without a fancy gps? The road distance is .2 mi but I'm not sure if it's the direct distance that counts.

Edited by sburbplayer

You're talking about in the library? Sounds like a good opportunity for muggles or misplacement, just my thoughts. What are the hours of the library? Likely it means I can't go find it on a day off or Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc. I'm not against the idea just saying a few things that come to mind.

Yea, those aren't of any particular concern. Library caches are quite popular and the COs usually put the hours in the description. Since there are library staff around the caches seem to age very well, much more so than those in the wilds!

oh I must've assumed that meant like parts of a multicache. How can I check how close two points are without a fancy gps? The road distance is .2 mi but I'm not sure if it's the direct distance that counts.

How are you getting the coordinates for your hide without "a fancy gps?"

I have a phone I can get the co-ords from plus since it is a library I can look up the co-ords using that. I couldn't use maps to measure "how the crow flies" from each point. I used a webpage though and they are .18 miles apart!

I know places in the library that aren't really looked in and since I know little kids usually frequent there I'm going to put "don't tell anyone where you found me!" Along with the "I'm official geocache" on the First page. I would definately include the hours of the library in the description as well!

You can get further information about the 'proximity rule' (aka 'saturation guideline') from these Help Center articles:

1.12. Understanding the Geocache Planning Map

1.13. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

1.15. Checking for Geocache Saturation

I have a phone I can get the co-ords from plus since it is a library I can look up the co-ords using that. I couldn't use maps to measure "how the crow flies" from each point. I used a webpage though and they are .18 miles apart!

Looks like you have the answer, but anyway, if you have the coordinates of 2 (or more) points, you can use GoogleEarth and Placemark the points, then use Tools>Ruler to get the direct distance between them.

If you're interested in reading some previous threads about your idea, then you may find these threads useful:

Library caches

Finding Library Caches

Besides using a book as the "container", you might also use a VHS Videotape holder as a "container". I've found one like this where it was in the music section of the library, but could also be placed in the movie section. Depending on the library, either of these areas might be less prone to accidental finds by muggles.

If you're interested in reading some previous threads about your idea, then you may find these threads useful:

Library caches

Finding Library Caches

Besides using a book as the "container", you might also use a VHS Videotape holder as a "container". I've found one like this where it was in the music section of the library, but could also be placed in the movie section. Depending on the library, either of these areas might be less prone to accidental finds by muggles.

I'm 70% sure my library threw out all of the VHS tapes to make room for more DVDs. Plus the movie/music section has higher traffic than what I'm planning out. I'm sure that'd be really cool though! I wouldn't have thought of that. ^^

Then your real problem under the listing guidelines would be demonstrating adequate GPS use. For a cache hidden inside the library, posting the coordinates for the front door isn't enough. I could not use my GPS to find the cache even if I wanted to.

The common solution is to have a two-stage multicache. Either a clue hidden outside (and thus findable with a GPS) tells the seeker what do do inside the library to sign the log there, OR the clue found inside the library includes the GPS coordinates for the final container and logbook that's hidden outdoors.

Then your real problem under the listing guidelines would be demonstrating adequate GPS use. For a cache hidden inside the library, posting the coordinates for the front door isn't enough. I could not use my GPS to find the cache even if I wanted to.

The common solution is to have a two-stage multicache. Either a clue hidden outside (and thus findable with a GPS) tells the seeker what do do inside the library to sign the log there, OR the clue found inside the library includes the GPS coordinates for the final container and logbook that's hidden outdoors.

GPS co-ords- even the best of them- are only good up to 10-30 feet. And I know you're all expecting the library to be huge and two stories when in reality it is very small and you couldn't even hide something 30 feet from the door unless you go into the conjoined school. I thought the entire point of geocaching was to look for yourself and honestly think that's more fun than having a fancy GPS putting me two inches away from it.

I did also say I could use the compass on my iPhone to get the exact co-it's inside right?

I am just trying to tell you what your reviewer will require. Perhaps it's best to have that discussion when you submit your cache listing, but that is the issue you will be asked about. A single-stage traditional cache in the stacks of the library shouldn't be published.

Oh, and if there's a "conjoined school," well then that's another listing guideline that is an even harder hurdle to jump over. INSIDE a school library? Not going to happen.

Edited by The Leprechauns

I am just trying to tell you what your reviewer will require. Perhaps it's best to have that discussion when you submit your cache listing, but that is the issue you will be asked about. A single-stage traditional cache in the stacks of the library shouldn't be published.

Oh, and if there's a "conjoined school," well then that's another listing guideline that is an even harder hurdle to jump over. INSIDE a school library? Not going to happen.

It is not a school library. It is just conjoined to a school. That why I said conjoined. I also don't see what's wrong with a traditional cache in a library. I also wouldn't want to make a cache I couldn't log myself if given the option.

If you're saying the cache is "boring" well you don't have to find it. Not every cache has to be a quadruple step mind bender- especially if you want to complete it with your kids. The other cache here is quite simple in the same way.

I never said that your cache idea was boring. I'll assume it's awesome. But caches near schools are against the guidelines, and caches inside buildings (libraries or otherwise) must demonstrate adequate GPS use in order to meet the guidelines.

It doesn't matter if it's a school library or a public library that's "conjoined" to a school. The permission hurdle is higher and you may be asked to seek permission from the school as well as from the library. Your reviewer will determine that.

I never said that your cache idea was boring. I'll assume it's awesome. But caches near schools are against the guidelines, and caches inside buildings (libraries or otherwise) must demonstrate adequate GPS use in order to meet the guidelines.

It doesn't matter if it's a school library or a public library that's "conjoined" to a school. The permission hurdle is higher and you may be asked to seek permission from the school as well as from the library. Your reviewer will determine that.

I can get that Easily as well. And the reviewer will have to determine if the gps usage is adequate. The whole reason behind this forum was to determine if putting a cache in a library was considered advertising.

I also don't see what's wrong with a traditional cache in a library. I also wouldn't want to make a cache I couldn't log myself if given the option.

For reference, Basic Members can view non-traditional caches via the website or via other free/paid geocaching apps. If you make the cache a multi-cache or mystery cache, then that doesn't mean all Basic Members won't see it, just Basic Members using the official Geocaching-R app.

Here are a couple options that might be simple enough:

(1) Multi-cache:

-- Get the location of the "container", like the Dewey Decimal number for the 'book' or some other descriptive location of where the cache is hidden like '5th drawer in the orange cabinet'.

-- Put that number/location on a magnetic strip and place that magnetic strip on a newspaper stand or some other metal structure outside of the library.

-- The posted coordinates for the multi-cache would be for where that magnetic strip is hidden.

-- The cacher goes to those coords, finds the 'clue', then knows where to find the cache inside the library.

(2) Unknown/Mystery cache:

-- Get the location of the "container", like the Dewey Decimal number for the 'book' or some other descriptive location of where the cache is hidden like '5th drawer in the orange cabinet'.

-- Encode that number/location in simple code and put that coded message on the cache page.

-- The posted coordinates for the unknown/mystery cache can be anywhere within 2 miles of the library. You could list the coords as the library itself and have the question mark icon show up on the map right over the library.

-- The cacher would decode the message in the cache description, which would usually be done at home, and that message would tell them where to find the cache inside the library.

-- Note: codes can be very simple, like the ROT13 code that is used for hints and there is a decode for that cipher on every cache page. Or you could do a code that's related to books to stick with the library theme, like a code in Braille.

Anyway, these are just a couple ideas.

I also don't see what's wrong with a traditional cache in a library. I also wouldn't want to make a cache I couldn't log myself if given the option.

For reference, Basic Members can view non-traditional caches via the website or via other free/paid geocaching apps. If you make the cache a multi-cache or mystery cache, then that doesn't mean all Basic Members won't see it, just Basic Members using the official Geocaching-R app.

(1) Multi-cache:

-- Put that number/location on a magnetic strip and place that magnetic strip on a newspaper stand or some other metal structure outside of the library.

-- The posted coordinates for the multi-cache would be for where that magnetic strip is hidden.

-- The cacher goes to those coords, finds the 'clue', then knows where to find the cache inside the library.

-- Encode that number/location in simple code and put that coded message on the cache page.

-- The posted coordinates for the unknown/mystery cache can be anywhere within 2 miles of the library. You could list the coords as the library itself and have the question mark icon show up on the map right over the library.

-- The cacher would decode the message in the cache description, which would usually be done at home, and that message would tell them where to find the cache inside the library.

-- Note: codes can be very simple, like the ROT13 code that is used for hints and there is a decode for that cipher on every cache page. Or you could do a code that's related to books to stick with the library theme, like a code in Braille.

Thanks! I was considering a multicache but I feel like the first part would get muggled. Read as: I really wanna try out my new QR cod maker, but there's nowhere close that wouldn't be in plain view. There's one area a good bit always but I want to save that for future caches..

(1) Multi-cache:

Thanks! I was considering a multicache but I feel like the first part would get muggled. Read as: I really wanna try out my new QR cod maker, but there's nowhere close that wouldn't be in plain view. There's one area a good bit always but I want to save that for future caches..

I seem to recall an unknown/mystery cache that had a QR code in the cache description. However, after further thought, I'm not entirely sure that an Unknown/Mystery will work if a decoded message is not coordinates but is instead a Dewey decimal or descriptive location. Best bet is to check with your local reviewer. Would be interesting to know. FWIW, most of the libraries in my area have a geocache either inside or within 0.1 miles.

The whole reason behind this forum was to determine if putting a cache in a library was considered advertising.

Fair enough, and I think you've been given some good answers in that regard. We're just letting you know what other issues you might encounter based on previous cache reviews. Like it or not, a Traditional with the posted coordinates at the front door is unlikely to be published based on past experience, but you could always ask your local reviewer to confirm since they have the final say.

FYI, with one very old exception, all of the library caches in my area and that I've found elsewhere have been either Mystery/Unknowns or Multis due to the "adequate GPS use" guideline.

However, after further thought, I'm not entirely sure that an Unknown/Mystery will work if a decoded message is not coordinates but is instead a Dewey decimal or descriptive location.

It's good that you thought further, because your second answer was correct. B) There is no GPS use in a puzzle that resolves directly to something like a Dewey Decimal number. You could have a puzzle that resolved to coordinates outside the library where a tag or container held the Dewey Decimal number or other clue to the indoor cache.

Your other idea was great, however! Thanks for giving a specific description of the alternative that I had mentioned in very summary fashion.

Last suggestion: The other thing you could do is use virtual waypoints, instead of putting something magnetic outside the library. This should prevent issues with muggles, unless they vandalize the sign.

For example, if there's a sign that has some numbers, then cachers would take those numbers and get the Dewey Decimal location from that.

If sign has 12345, and the Dewey Decimal location is 963.12, then cacher instructions would be something like:

-- Find a 5 digit number on sign.

-- Let those numbers be ABCDE.

-- Proceed inside to [D+E][A+E][C].AB

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Last suggestion: The other thing you could do is use virtual waypoints, instead of putting something magnetic outside the library. This should prevent issues with muggles, unless they vandalize the sign.

For example, if there's a sign that has some numbers, then cachers would take those numbers and get the Dewey Decimal location from that.

If sign has 12345, and the Dewey Decimal location is 963.12, then cacher instructions would be something like:

-- Find a 5 digit number on sign.

-- Let those numbers be ABCDE.

-- Proceed inside to [D+E][A+E][C].AB

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

I didn't even know libraries still used the Dewey decimal system honestly.. I'm pretty sure most in my county use a webpage instead.. I'll probably set a waypoint on a cluster of signs to decode a message.

I didn't even know libraries still used the Dewey decimal system honestly.. I'm pretty sure most in my county use a webpage instead..

You're confusing the Dewey Decimal System with the card catalog. The books are still numbered on the shelf according to the Dewey. The card catalog has been replaced by computers and web pages.