HI! Caching Noob Here!

Jamandy52

Hi! My name is Jamandy52!

My very next find will be my 50th! Wooo!

I like Geocaching, and honestly, I have no idea why. I'm not very good at it, I hate getting dirty, and I don't like heat/exercise. This seems to connect all those things I hate into one thing, and somehow I love it! HA HA HA!

So, I'm coming up on 50 and I wonder...

What is a good amount of Caches that no longer make you a noob?

Also, I feel super shy at events because everyone else is so good, and they also seem to have formed their own little clique and the events are overwhelming. I went hoping to make friends or maybe find someone to Geocache with, but left very disappointed. :(

What do you do to celebrate your milestones?

Finally, uhm, Travelbugs + geocoins. I am SO tired of opening a cache log, seeing it should have a trackable, and reading through comments saying there's no TB/geocoin etc and the owner needs to remove.

I haven't even figured out how to place a cache, though I would love to, but between seeing how poorly maintained caches often are, I worry about the amount of work it may actually be?

Finally, caching with a dog?

My dog seems to get bored since it takes me 20-20 minutes to find the 'easy' ones. Is there ever a point I'll get good enough my dog can actually feel like she's being exercised?

Can I make my own trackable from wood or something or a small toy? Do I have to buy ones online? I want to see a TravelBug or Geocoin travel the world!

Do you have goals when you cache? I heard of people doing '24 in 24 hours' or '1 a day for a year' - are these promotions with souveniers or...?

How do people find out about the Travelbug promotions in time to get one? I see them and then realize it's over, or all the bugs were given out.

Am I weird for having so many questions? Answer what you can, skip what you can't! Sorry for being a pain!

Hi Jamandy52 and welcome B)

Not sure I can answer the first question - I think 'not being a noob' would depend more on the variety of caches you've found rather than the number. Do a power trail of caches and they are all likely to be the same or very similar hides - so you'll learn little about different hides / containers. Target caches in different sizes in different types of locations, by different hiders and you should broaden your experience to the point where you'll start to spot hides intuitively because you've seen that sort before in that sort of location...

Events do tend to bring together lots of people who already know each other - so it can be a little awkward as a newcomer to get involved in the early stages. I have known 'noobs' to contact the event organiser in advanc and ask to be introduced to some of the local community - someone did it at an event I organised - and they were partnered up with a 'veteran' cacher who knew everyone and made all the introductions they could hope for :)

Milestones - I try to identify a special cache in advance and plan a trip specifically for it - a cool mystery cache, a very old cache, a cache with a great hike to it...

Caching with your dog - select and concentrate on caches that have a longer hike to get to them and your dog should get some good exercise :)

There's nothing at all weird about having so many questions - and every question you have has probably been answered here before so keep asking - there's a wealth of knowledge and a whole spectrum of experience here and you're sure to get some good info B)

You're not being a pain at all! It's wonderful that you're excited enough to have so many questions. :)

Some of these questions probably deserve longer answers, but I'll try and be brief since you have so many. I'm sure that you could find threads about some of these subjects if you do a search for them if you want to read more in depth discussions.

There's really no defined point that one ceases to be a noob. I guess it's relative. It probably has more to do with how you feel. In some ways, after almost 14 years, I can still for a bit noobish, because I just haven't found as many caches as some people around me. So there you go! :D

Events can be difficult. I've heard so many varying stories between new people feeling like events are cliquish and events are friendly. It may just be regional, unfortunately. Perhaps you could try events in different areas, or try hard to go up and introduce yourself and see how that's taken by others. I'm a bit of an introvert, so I've had to push myself to go around to different people at events and just start talking. It really helps in getting to know people.

I don't really celebrate milestones anymore. Maybe every 500 caches I'll try to find something that I really enjoy. But I'm super behind with logging and I know I've forgotten some finds so my numbers have become pretty meaningless to me. I do make sure to go out on my caching anniversary (April 27) and do a nice hike or something. It's spring, so it's a great time to go out and reminisce.

I've also given up on travel bugs and coins in general. The info on cache pages about trackables is not reliable, so I don't even look at it. Even if it was accurate, someone could come and pick up a trackable an hour before you visit the cache, so it's not worth getting caught up in it all. I just go to a cache, and if I find a trackable in there, it's a nice surprise and it's like finding a treasure.

If you're not sure about owning a cache, then wait a while until you feel more confident. And then just place one and then wait a while more. Months, even, until you have to do cache maintenance, and see how you feel about it before possibly placing more caches. Go slow, there's no rush.

We do cache with our dog sometimes, but perhaps the breed of dog could make a difference. We have a lab, and she's perfectly happy to lay around waiting for us. But even now after all these years, we can take a while at a cache so I'm not sure if that's a help to you at all. But lots of people cache with their dogs, so it must work out for a lot of people. Maybe bring a chew toy or something to distract your dog for a while.

If you want a trackable to be trackable on gc.com, you do need to buy a travel tag. But the hitchhiker is what is attached to that travel tag, and those are always provided by the travel bug owner. So you can put anything you want with the travel tag - a toy, whatever. Of course with a geocoin, that just goes out by itself. Unfortunately, a lot of trackables go missing, so you have to send it out and let it go, no matter what happens to it.

I don't usually have particular goals myself, at this point I'm mostly just caching when I go on a trip or go for a hike. I just want to get out, see something new, enjoy nature. If you sign up for the Groundspeak emails, you will be alerted if there's any new souvenirs available. There's only a few new ones each year.

Not sure what to say about the travel bug promotions. They're very few and far between. I can't remember how they're advertised.

Hope I wasn't too long winded! :laughing:

Edited by Ambrosia

50 is a great milestone in itself. Many people try it once or twice and determine that its not for them. When you get to 50 and are still excited about the activity, well that's a great thing.

Events are awesome. I was nervous the first couple of times but once you open up and start talking to other players you'll quickly realize that they too are just as excited about geocaching as you are. I can't tell you how many people I've meet at events. People who have gone out of their way to help me with all kinds of things.

The fact that your here asking all the right questions tells me your the type of cacher who could make a good cache owner. I won't lie to you, maintaining your own cache is a commitment but don't let that word scare you. In my opinion it's one of the great joys of the activity. I try to place my caches in areas that I enjoy visiting so cache maintenance is actually enjoyable for me.

Being a cache owner also allows you to control the cache inventory. If you check up on your cache and a travel bug is missing, you as the cache owner can mark it as missing and remove it from your cache's inventory.

You can make a travel bug out of just about anything you can attach the tag to. Just remember, the larger the travel bug the fewer caches it will fit into. I tend to make my travel bugs smaller so they will fit into a small lock n' lock.

Keep bringing your dog. One of the best caching companions you could ask for.

Good luck

Edited by justintim1999

I'm something of an expert on dogs' opinion of caching since I am one. I'm not very fond of caches where I just get out of the car and then get back in. The ones I like best are where i get to walk along a nice trail with a few stops along the way. My person almost always remembers to bring water. And dog treats. Once I even found a dog treat in a cache. I think maybe my person put it there but I didn't see her do it. I'm a Mellow Sheltie so when my person is exploring places with lots of Sheltie size brush I take a nap. Also sometimes when there are lots of caches along a nice trail we skip some. That way we can come back again. Also when my person is walking in circles, she lets me guard the backpack so I don't get dizzy. Anyway I'd always rather go places with my person then stay home and sometimes I find the cache first.

Oh I forgot to say I'm a travel bug. I like to go to events and get discovered but I never get left in a cache. I even have business cards with my number on them.

Edited by Mr.B.Baggins

I see Bilbo stopped by. He did fail to mention that a friendly dog is a great ice breaker at outdoor events. I waited a long time before I hid my first cache and currently the only cache I maintain I Bilbo's. But here are some tips for your fist hide. Don't hide it too far from home in a place that is easy for you to get to. Use a quality waterproof container. Have fun with the write up and make it one you would like to find.

I'll give you just one piece of advice about your "Event" question.

Whenever you first attend a gathering of people who already know each other or share an interest, you are by definition an outsider.

MOST (MOST) such groups are welcoming of new people and you'll frequently find SOMEONE on the lookout for newbies, who'll walk them around and introduce. This can be a whirlwind or confusion, because you'll most likely get just Caching Names. People make the mistake that most people there read all the local cache logs, and introducing you to cachers by 'handle' allows you to relate faces to logs.

Doesn't usually work that way for me; I'm there to meet people, not phony IDs. I need a name for my old brain to remember you.

So, once that's happened, in the eyes of the group, you're in! Mostly everyone will go back to their joking, boastful storytelling around the table, and here comes the advice: if you want to get deeper, it's up to you!

Once you're part of the group (in their eyes), you may not get an explicit invitation to participate. No one's likely to take up your cause without prodding. Instead, tell them what you want! Say, "Nice to meet you all around this here table; I'm looking to get involved, go caching with some people and learn more. Anyone have any ideas of what I should do next?"

That's enough to get the ball rolling, if there's a ball there with that group that wants to roll, to stretch a metaphor too far.

It's scary to be upfront like that in front of a new group, but the alternative is to attend, then go home.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

My dog is a Min Pin - she can go 3-4 miles without being tired. She's also my service dog. I have seizures, so she warns me 4-12 minutes before a seizure that it will happen which makes me feel more confident about doing this type of activity. So when I take 'forever' to find one, she seems to get truly bored. I don't drive so we walk everywhere :)

This Saturday, there's a 4 mile trail I want to attempt. Where I live we have lots of hiking trails and lot's of caches along them!

I would love to make Bella a Geocache - I knew that was possible, but wasn't sure how. So basically, I just get her a travel bug tag and place it on her collar with her other tags?

She has also been known to find the caches before me, ha ha ha!

Thanks for all the answers so far!

My dog is a Min Pin - she can go 3-4 miles without being tired. She's also my service dog. I have seizures, so she warns me 4-12 minutes before a seizure that it will happen which makes me feel more confident about doing this type of activity. So when I take 'forever' to find one, she seems to get truly bored. I don't drive so we walk everywhere :)

This Saturday, there's a 4 mile trail I want to attempt. Where I live we have lots of hiking trails and lot's of caches along them!

I would love to make Bella a Geocache - I knew that was possible, but wasn't sure how. So basically, I just get her a travel bug tag and place it on her collar with her other tags?

She has also been known to find the caches before me, ha ha ha!

Yeah, you can either get a travel tag and put it on her, or a log my dog tag (there may be even more options than that). Log My Dog at Shop Geocaching.

Thanks!

Well, after doing some more poking about, I have decided that I want to try and find a Cache every day in April! So I'm going to try to do that here in march and see how easy it will be to build a daily pattern! =D

So Excited! I'll order Bella her dog tag after this next payday! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Thanks!

Well, after doing some more poking about, I have decided that I want to try and find a Cache every day in April! So I'm going to try to do that here in march and see how easy it will be to build a daily pattern! =D

So Excited! I'll order Bella her dog tag after this next payday! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Have fun. :) I'm sure that people will enjoy discovering her when she gets her tag. I've discovered a couple dogs. Always fun when you meet cachers out and about.

Thanks!

Have fun. :) I'm sure that people will enjoy discovering her when she gets her tag. I've discovered a couple dogs. Always fun when you meet cachers out and about.

I have an idea :)

Travel bugs - including the dog tag you're looking to order after next payday - have their own web page and on that page you can specify a mission for that travel bug...

So why not make the mission of your dog's tag - and the attached dog - to be photographed with as many other geocachers at possible...

Before you attend a geocaching event, drop the trackable into the event and mention in your Will Attend log that you'll be bringing your trackable dog along and that its mission is to be photographed with as many cachers as possible...

Other cachers will be glad to discover your trackable, and your dog - and meet you in the process - so you'll get to learn their names and, when they post a Discovered log to the trackable, along with their photograph, you'll have a handy visual record of all the cachers you've met B)

Thanks!

Travel bugs - including the dog tag you're looking to order after next payday - have their own web page and on that page you can specify a mission for that travel bug...

So why not make the mission of your dog's tag - and the attached dog - to be photographed with as many other geocachers at possible...

Before you attend a geocaching event, drop the trackable into the event and mention in your Will Attend log that you'll be bringing your trackable dog along and that its mission is to be photographed with as many cachers as possible...

Other cachers will be glad to discover your trackable, and your dog - and meet you in the process - so you'll get to learn their names and, when they post a Discovered log to the trackable, along with their photograph, you'll have a handy visual record of all the cachers you've met B)

If you drop your dog's tag into the event in advance, then people there can log it as 'discovered' when they actually see it and get the code. That's good.

But, if you actually drop it into the event (as opposed to just, say, bringing your book of coins) won't that also make it "Grabbable" or "Retrievable"?

How will you explain to your family the reason that you didn't bring your dog home from the event?

"Somebody filed a 'retrieve' on Scout, and the rules say they have possession of her now."

Thanks!

If you drop your dog's tag into the event in advance, then people there can log it as 'discovered' when they actually see it and get the code. That's good.

But, if you actually drop it into the event (as opposed to just, say, bringing your book of coins) won't that also make it "Grabbable" or "Retrievable"?

How will you explain to your family the reason that you didn't bring your dog home from the event?

"Somebody filed a 'retrieve' on Scout, and the rules say they have possession of her now."

Good joke :laughing:

I have known this happen to cars belonging to cachers who have a trackable window sticker - people grabbing their cars and dropping them in caches on the other side of the planet - good fun :D

All that's required of course is for the trackable owner to grab the trackable back electronically - given that the trackable is still physically in their possession :anibad:

To help with the noob part. A Noob is anyone with less finds then my friend I like to cache with. For some reason he always thinks he is the new guy. So whenever we are out I say something like... "I never trust a cacher with less then 412 finds" Then on another trip it will be "I never trust a cacher with less then 516 finds. What ever number he is under. :)

Sounds to me like you will make a great cacher. You will make many friends over time and soon you will be the one hanging out with the group of cachers that new cachers will be wondering how to meet.

My very next find will be my 50th! Wooo!
Congratulations, and welcome to the addiction activity...

What is a good amount of Caches that no longer make you a noob?
When do you no longer feel like a noob? It might be when you return to a cache you DNFed before, and actually find it. Or when you introduce someone else to geocaching, and realize how much you have to share with them. Or... something else entirely.

Also, I feel super shy at events because everyone else is so good, and they also seem to have formed their own little clique and the events are overwhelming. I went hoping to make friends or maybe find someone to Geocache with, but left very disappointed. :(
One of the recent geocaching events I attended included a "geocacher bingo" icebreaker game. Some of the squares made the noobs very popular (e.g., "this is their first event" or "has found fewer than 100 caches"). But that isn't something you can do; that's something the event organizer has to do.

But I've been geocaching for more than 10 years, and I still get to events and realize I don't know many people. So I wander around, say "Hi" to people, listen for conversations that might be interesting to join, etc.

What do you do to celebrate your milestones?
I like finding a cache that is especially interesting in some way. My 500th cache (and 100th mystery/puzzle cache) was a multi-stage puzzle cache that I completed with a couple geocaching friends. My 1000th find was a local multi-cache that involved traveling all around the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay to visit various wildlife refuge locations. And so on.

I haven't even figured out how to place a cache, though I would love to, but between seeing how poorly maintained caches often are, I worry about the amount of work it may actually be?
How long is a piece of string?

My first cache required a lot of work to maintain it. I learned a lot from it, but eventually I had to archive it.

My other caches have required much less work to maintain. I've generally dropped by when I was in the area and it was convenient, but have needed to maintain them only a few times.

Finally, caching with a dog?

My dog seems to get bored since it takes me 20-20 minutes to find the 'easy' ones. Is there ever a point I'll get good enough my dog can actually feel like she's being exercised?

In my experience, geocaching with a non-geocaching dog is similar to geocaching with a non-geocaching person. It's a bad idea to stop for every cache along the trail. Instead, pick one or two. Hike enough that the dog/person is ready for a bit of a break, then stop for one of your target caches.

Can I make my own trackable from wood or something or a small toy? Do I have to buy ones online? I want to see a TravelBug or Geocoin travel the world!
You can buy just the numbers, but there are restrictions. See the Help Center article Tracking Code Policy.

For fewer than 50 items, it's probably easiest to just buy a bunch of TB tags and attach them to your objects.

Do you have goals when you cache? I heard of people doing '24 in 24 hours' or '1 a day for a year' - are these promotions with souveniers or...?
Sometimes I have specific goals. Sometimes the goals are related to Souvenirs offered by Groundspeak. For example, a few years ago, Groundspeak offered 31 Souvenirs, one for each day of August. So I found a cache every day for the 31 days of August, earning all 31 Souvenirs.

Then I kept going, just to see how long I could keep it up. Along the way, I noticed a couple nearby challenge caches: one for finding a puzzle cache every day for 30 days, and one for finding a cache a day for a year. So after 11 months, I switched to finding a puzzle cache every day for 30 days, then found the challenge cache on the 31st day of July, which also qualified me for the 1-year streak challenge cache.

Hi, Jamandy52. You found the rabbit hole. There might not be any hope left for you.

When are you no longer new?

The way geocaches are hidden has changed over the years. I can only answer this from my perspective, though. When I had found around five hundred caches that weren't park and grabs, I thought I was fairly experienced. After finding a thousand, I got that idea. After fifteen hundred, geocaching became hard again. You see, the more caches you find, the more experience you think you have. After a while, you'll have been exposed to so many different hide methods that you won't know what you're looking for. You then have to build up some experience with knowing when to look for certain hide methods, and this takes a while to do. If you visit a new area, you have to do it all over again since different areas have their own quirks and common hide methods.

Milestones

I had no idea what to do with my milestones. For the first ten 1K milestones, I tried to time the milestone to an event. I figured any event would be better than any cache. Later, I tried to time it to "worthy" caches. I was able to write an epic log (I think eight log entries long) for my 24K find. One person suggested a desert cache for my 60K find. But after 10K or so, I just didn't bother because it became too much work to find a celebratory cache.

TBs and coins

I'm very bad with these! I tend to pick them up, throw them in my luggage or car, and forget I have them for a while. Or I might just forget to log them out of the cache for months on end. There are too many micros in the world; I actually have to make an effort to find a cache I can put them in--and remember to bring them with me.

Making trackables

Anything will do so long as you have a trackable number. You could even get a new TB and just stick the trackable code on anything you want and send it out. One of the TBs I found was a bowling ball attached to a long metal chain. I hiked out to a cache with that one on my back just to say I brought the ol' ball and chain with me.

TB promotions

I've no idea. I've been doing this for just under ten years, so I've lost interest in keeping up with things. I just go out and find stuff.

Are you weird

Yes. You are interested in geocaching. Geocaching is weird. You might be as well. We are all weird. I've been in many situations where all I know about the person is they're a geocacher--not even their name--and I'm riding in their car to do caching. I've even accepted an invitation to spend the night at someone's house: I only met the person some ten minutes before. That's weird, too.

Shy at events

Don't. I'm one of those people you might be too afraid to approach. I've found around 64K caches. I want people to come up to me and talk. A lot of the magic has run out for me, but I have stories I delight in telling and I love hearing stories from others. Please do me the honor of sharing your enthusiasm as it gets me excited all over again.

You're in Idaho

Keep watch on the southern Boise and Yerington areas. A lot of people frequent them. If you know people are going to make a run there, ask if you can join (I'm making a run there at the end of April with the world's #1 and #2; we'll do around 3.5K in a few days, which is normal for something like that). If you do one of these power runs, be prepared for a lot of long days and repetition--and quirky fun. Caching with others can produce some fun stories of their own.

TBs

If you want a TB, contact me privately. I don't do this that often.