Real use of a copy tag

OuEstCharlie

Can anyone tell me what is the real use of a copy tag when we release a travel bug in the field?

It seams we have a carbon copy of the original Travel bug to be kept with us. What is it's real use?

The reason I am asking is because the travel bug has been lost somewhere and I wonder if I can use the copy TAG to release it the field.

Can anyone tell me what is the real use of a copy tag when we release a travel bug in the field?

It seams we have a carbon copy of the original Travel bug to be kept with us. What is it's real use?

I guess it's designed so that you have a tag to keep, when you probably won't ever see the traveling one again, even if it remains in play. Kind of like the new Geocoins that include a "Proxy" -- you get a nice coin to keep, and a stunt-coin that travels.

If your TB Copy is imprinted with the text "Keep Me", that seems less than good as a replacement for the lost one. I have done that once or twice, securely attaching a TB dogtag to an item, then noticing I attached the "Keep Me" copy tag by mistake. But I've noticed no difference in how fast and sure a TB gets pocketed, removed from the game.

If you wish to send out your "Copy" tag, make your new improved TB with it, scratch out the "Keep Me" text if you like, add some text to the description about the change (a photo's good, too, but show no tracking number in a photo), and place it.

Edited by kunarion

I look at the copy tag as a kinda souvenir of your trackable's release.

We have identical items attached to the copies, though none will ever go out to replace all that've gone missing.

If a tag that says "Don't keep me" goes missing, what chance does a "keep me" tag have ?

And even if the copy then disappears, you still own the number. Feel free to make your own tag to attach and send out again (I make laminated tags). Or there are a few commercial ones you can get as well. It is your number that is tracked, and you have paid for it, and you are free to use it over and over.

And even if the copy then disappears, you still own the number. Feel free to make your own tag to attach and send out again (I make laminated tags). Or there are a few commercial ones you can get as well. It is your number that is tracked, and you have paid for it, and you are free to use it over and over.

Hey thank's Fuzz,

Where can I find those commercial tags with the same number? Excuse me if I sound too novice but If I want it to look like a TB, I cannot send out anything else that does not look like a TB TAG. So what do you mean by laminated?¸¸Just for me to know.

Best

Excuse me if I sound too novice but If I want it to look like a TB, I cannot send out anything else that does not look like a TB TAG.

+1

Though we've seen items with their trackable codes etched, burned, and even just written on 'em, I don't see 'em lasting too long without that noticeable/familiar tag attached.

There are a few companies who'll create a new tag out of metal or plastic with your code (google 'em), or like fuzzlebear3 says, you can make your own. :)

Edited by cerberus1

I write something up on the computer, usually using Word. Something like:

I am a Travel Bug!!

I would like to go to _____

Please move me along, and track me on geocaching.com

TBXXXX

Sometimes I include a picture of the original too.

Print it out, cut it out, and run it through a plastic laminator.

Punch a hole in the plastic part.

Run a cable tie through the hole, and attach a small inexpensive item.

Tada, ready to go again.

Edit the page indicating it is now a proxy.

Yes, it might or might not travel as well as an 'official' dog tag. But since the official tag has already gone missing, I'm not losing much on this re-release.