Montana 680t question

Aix sponsa

I am having a few problems with my new Montana. When I navigate towards a cache I like to see it on my screen and an indicator telling me how far I am from it. On my 60Csx and my 62s I would put the cursor on the cache. I didn't use "Go To" because I had the information I needed. I prefer not to have a line on my screen but I can live with it. On the Montana if I use the "Go To" it shows the line but not my distance from the cache. Because it is a touch screen I can drop a pin and get the information I need but the slightest touch to the screen moves the pin. That pin is always moving. Is there a way to get the pin to lock or use the "Go To" to give me the distance I am from the cache as I am walking towards it? I've looked through the settings and can't find the setting that might help me.

If you do not want to use the Geocaching Dashboard, you can also use the Large Data Field dashboard with Distance to Destination enabled:

Dashboard_Large_Data_Field.png

There are many ways to accomplish what you desire with the Montana GPSr. You just need to try them all and decide what works best for you!

I personally just use the Compass Screen with the Distance to Destination large data field enabled:

Compass_Large_Data_Field_With_Destination.png

Is there a way to get the pin to lock or use the "Go To" to give me the distance I am from the cache as I am walking towards it?

As Atlas Cached mentioned, try the Compass screen. I usually have the "small fields" dashboard with 4 select displays (on my Oregon 650, and yours is similar), but one huge "Distance" field is especially easy to read. The "Geocaching Dashboard" is pretty cool, and is great for the main menu dashboard. But remember that when you have not selected "Go To", the Geocaching Dashboard always points to the nearest cache, even if you are navigating to another waypoint.

Try using "Go To" when hunting a cache. This causes the GPSr to give you everything it knows about that one cache. Switch between the map and compass. Once I have a decent route for the hike, and especially when I'm a few hundred feet from the cache, I switch to the compass, and just follow the trail and watch the compass & distance. I also have a clamshell case that pretty much prevents me from accidentally changing screen settings. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

What I like is the pin it gives me the name and how far away I am from my waypoint. I guess the dashboard that Mo HCT recommended may be the best I can get. It's better than what I was finding. It still takes up way too much of the screen. Thanks for your help.

My caching method go back to the early 2000 when I first used a GPS for work. I used the Go To to measure my distance from a waypoint to do my work. To advance towards the waypoint I put my cursor on it and walked toward it. When I'm using the ancient GPSr I am lent for work (black and gray screen with no map) I still use it the same way. Last year I used my own 60Csx which is the best GPSr as far as I am concerned for fieldwork.

Edited by Aix sponsa

What I like is the pin it gives me the name and how far away I am from my waypoint. I guess the dashboard that Mo HCT recommended may be the best I can get. It's better than what I was finding. It still takes up way too much of the screen. Thanks for your help.

On both the Compass and Map screens, you can use the Dashboard menu option to select 2 data fields or 4 data fields. The 2 data field option hardly takes up any screen real estate at all. It's 2 small boxes at the top of the screen. Each box can be set to display anything you want. Distance, heading, pointer, etc.

On both the Compass and Map screens, you can use the Dashboard menu option to select 2 data fields or 4 data fields. The 2 data field option hardly takes up any screen real estate at all. It's 2 small boxes at the top of the screen. Each box can be set to display anything you want. Distance, heading, pointer, etc.

Yes, and since the OP seems to like the waypoint name and distance to that waypoint, those are both available for the two small data fields, replicating exactly the behavior the OP desires.