Signing logs in random places

For anyone who may think that you can't have long logs and prompt logs, I offer two words:

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

I don't think that would suit him. He logs from his field notes. Once in a while he gets on the computer and does a bunch. And cache owners don't get notifications for edits.

Everyone does it their own way. I don't like being behind in my logging, but that's me.

Remember, any way you log, it's wrong.

"You can have long logs, or you can have prompt logs. You can't have both."

That depends, really. I've seen plenty of folks who are able to churn out descriptive and/or entertaining logs in short order. Folks with a lot higher numbers than myself.

It's in quotation marks.

So having a saying in quotes automatically makes it not worth responding to. Gotcha...

I log the same day, no matter what. I've been logging until after midnight (technically not the same day anymore :D but anyway..) on many occasions. The only time I didn't log the same day was last year when in Greenland where we hardly had any internet access. I did write my logs the same evening though and send the logs when we had internet access.

When retrieving/dropping TBs you can't wait too long anyway since the next finder has to be able to retrieve the trackables too.

That depends, really. I've seen plenty of folks who are able to churn out descriptive and/or entertaining logs in short order. Folks with a lot higher numbers than myself.

It's in quotation marks.

So having a saying in quotes automatically makes it not worth responding to. Gotcha...

It means it was a particular remark by a particular person and not a statement about other people's logging habits.

Logging habits vary widely. The only consistency is that any way you log is wrong.

For anyone who may think that you can't have long logs and prompt logs, I offer two words:

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

<snip> ... And cache owners don't get notifications for edits.

Project Geocaching provides notification of log updates.

I don't see why that third-party site is relevant to this issue.

Of course it is relevant as I thought other users of this forum might not be aware of another authorized tool (like GSAK which is often mentioned) that provides useful information to cache owners. It is important not to make blanket statements. If you choose not to use those tools please don't criticize those who do.

Edited by Nonsuch30

It's in quotation marks.

So does that mean it's not true or just that you posted it to try to annoy everyone?

Since i'm "newer" to the forums, please tell me more about the subtle differences between

"Quotation marks"

&

Quotation marks

Fixed it for ya

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

Nice, but irrelevant until Groundspeak provides them. You can't expect every cache owner to even be aware of Project Geocaching, much less use it. "More later" is another wrong way of logging.

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

Nice, but irrelevant until Groundspeak provides them. You can't expect every cache owner to even be aware of Project Geocaching, much less use it. "More later" is another wrong way of logging.

Geocaching.com does provide you with the tool to see any changes to the logs (if you feel that is important) - go back and re-read the logs where a finder has promised a more detailed log later.

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

I don't see why that third-party site is relevant to this issue.

Of course it is relevant as I thought other users of this forum might not be aware of another authorized tool (like GSAK which is often mentioned) that provides useful information to cache owners. It is important not to make blanket statements. If you choose not to use those tools please don't criticize those who do.

I am not criticizing people who use them. I don't see the relevance to the person logging the cache.

It isn't reasonable for a finder to assume that a cache owner would use a third-party site, and would therefore see an updated log.

It's even less reasonable for a finder to expect cache owners to do so.

As someone logging finds, who wants to put effort into the logs and hopes cache owners will see the nice logs, it's best to write them the first time, even if it's late.

If your concerns as a finder are different, your logging habits will be different. Mine certainly are.

But remember, any way you log is wrong.

On tiny micro's I sign on the first available space and try to unroll the sheet as little as possible because unrolling damages the log and its hard to get back in the container. On larger logs we sign in order after the last finder.

90 % of the time we log on the computer when we get home but other times it may take a day or two.

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

Geocaching.com does provide you with the tool to see any changes to the logs (if you feel that is important) - go back and re-read the logs where a finder has promised a more detailed log later.

I am not speaking from the cache owner's point of view.

Everyone has different systems for logging. Logging in a rush and editing later doesn't work for some people.

Not that it matters. Someone is bound to complain about "More later" while someone else complains about late logs. Any way you log is wrong.

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

Yeah, right.dry.gif Isn't enough that I hid the cache and maintain it, without having to check up on each one to see if any of the logs have been edited?

...any way you log is wrong.

...any way you log is wrong.

Any way you log is wrong.

Yeah yeah...we got it. You certainly do seem to enjoy saying that...almost as much as Clan Riffster enjoyed commenting on Rosie O'Donnell's posterior.

And Toz referred to puritans and panties.

Yeah, right.dry.gif Isn't enough that I hid the cache and maintain it, without having to check up on each one to see if any of the logs have been edited?

Of course you don't have to recheck logs; no one suggested that you must as that is totally up to you. However, if I was promised a longer log by someone claiming a find in the field, I would, out of courtesy (and interest of course) check for a longer log that would describe, in more depth, their caching experience. It is nice, and convenient for me, that Project Geocaching does that for me by sending a notification when someone has edited their log.

Oh, here comes "courtesy" again.

Yup, seems some don't know what it means. B)

Around here it's a moving goal post, but it means:

"Abide by my personal preferences, which you have no possible way of knowing in advance, and which are completely different from the personal preferences of the next cache owner who will also judge you for your lack of courtesy."

"Abide by my personal preferences, which you have no possible way of knowing in advance, and which are completely different from the personal preferences of the next cache owner who will also judge you for your lack of courtesy."

Wow. It's a wonder you cache anymore if people around there are like that.

Clearly "courtesy" has nothing to do with making things the slightest bit less inconvenient for others who come after you. Next time I'll just wad up the log sheet and jam it back into the bison tube since no matter how I do it, I'm obviously going to do it wrong.

Next time I'll just wad up the log sheet and jam it back into the bison tube since no matter how I do it, I'm obviously going to do it wrong.
There's "wrong" and then there's "very wrong".

If you roll up the log sheet with the cache note showing, then that's wrong according to those who want the next available space showing.

If you roll up the log sheet with the next available space showing, then that's wrong according to those who want the cache note showing.

But if you wad up the log sheet and jam it, then that's very wrong.

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

Rather than relying on the CO using some third party software, if I post a "More later" find log, when I have time to write up the log in detail, I'll just delete my original find log and post a new find filled with all the flowery prose I meant to put in the first time around. That way the CO gets a new notification when my log is "edited".

"More later."

Quote, unquote.

;)

Rather than relying on the CO using some third party software, if I post a "More later" find log, when I have time to write up the log in detail, I'll just delete my original find log and post a new find filled with all the flowery prose I meant to put in the first time around. That way the CO gets a new notification when my log is "edited".

You realize, of course, that is the wrong way to do it. Now your log is out of order, the electronic version of signing the log in a random spot.

You realize, of course, that is the wrong way to do it. Now your log is out of order, the electronic version of signing the log in a random spot.
Maybe you could edit the original log (so the online logs are in order), then post a Note with the new content of the original log (so the CO and anyone watching the cache sees the new log), and then delete the Note (to avoid cluttering the page with duplicate content).

Or just ignore the "gotta log it now" mindset, and post a real log later, when it's convenient, when you're using a real keyboard.

By "around here" I mean the forum.

Clearly "courtesy" has nothing to do with making things the slightest bit less inconvenient for others who come after you. Next time I'll just wad up the log sheet and jam it back into the bison tube since no matter how I do it, I'm obviously going to do it wrong.

After a few visit most of those bison tube logs are wads anyway. It wouldn't occur to me to assume they got that way due to actual malice. There's only so much you can do to preserve little pieces of paper outdoors.

Of course you don't have to recheck logs; no one suggested that you must as that is totally up to you. However, if I was promised a longer log by someone claiming a find in the field, I would, out of courtesy (and interest of course) check for a longer log that would describe, in more depth, their caching experience. It is nice, and convenient for me, that Project Geocaching does that for me by sending a notification when someone has edited their log.

And for just how long am I supposed to keep checking for this longer, improved log? And how often? I have a lot of caches out there. That's a lot of checking. "More later" logs suck. I can at least understand them a teensy bit when it comes to FTFs, but in any other case, there is no reason for them at all. Wait until you can write the final log.

So are we supposed to ignore anything in quotes again? And it's not a moving target (as opposed to a moving goal post which is a "stupid" metaphor. Please note the quotes.) Here is what I found regarding the origin of courtesy. Gentle politeness and courtly manners are a big part of it. I wish courtesy was a requirement to post here.

I admit I get lazy. Sometimes I will put it right under the last finder but sometimes especially if the log is difficult or falling apart of just wet I will stamp the outside of it.

Sometimes (particularly if the log is a wet mush of gunk) I don't log at all.

So are we supposed to ignore anything in quotes again? And it's not a moving target (as opposed to a moving goal post which is a "stupid" metaphor. Please note the quotes.) Here is what I found regarding the origin of courtesy. Gentle politeness and courtly manners are a big part of it. I wish courtesy was a requirement to post here.

Yes, I suppose some would consider is a lack of courtesy to enter a thread five pages in and start shouting oddly personal remarks at someone, and it might be nice if that didn't happen. But the forum is for everyone, whether we like it or not. :santa:

Next time I'll just wad up the log sheet and jam it back into the bison tube since no matter how I do it, I'm obviously going to do it wrong.
There's "wrong" and then there's "very wrong".

If you roll up the log sheet with the cache note showing, then that's wrong according to those who want the next available space showing.

If you roll up the log sheet with the next available space showing, then that's wrong according to those who want the cache note showing.

But if you wad up the log sheet and jam it, then that's very wrong.

My post was written while my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek, of course. :anitongue: