Is it acceptable to place a micro inside of a ziploc bag?

Astrologian

The micro cache I am using (metal pill container) appears to seal tightly with a rubber seal, but it is not exactly waterproof. I tested it and while not much water got inside after soaking it completely and submerging it, it was enough to dampen and likely ruin the log and stash note. I was wondering if it might be acceptable to place this micro INSIDE of a small, clear ziploc bag for the extra elements protection and hide that? Thanks!

Edited by Astrologian

Once there are holes in a plastic bag, it no longer keeps moisture out. Actually, it can trap moisture.

Perhaps the O-ring on your container is worn out, and replacing the O-ring with a new one from your local hardware store would help.

Or perhaps a waterproof/weatherproof log sheet would prevent the moisture from becoming a problem.

Or perhaps a sheltered location would prevent the moisture from becoming a problem.

The micro cache I am using (metal pill container) appears to seal tightly with a rubber seal, but it is not exactly waterproof. I tested it and while not much water got inside after soaking it completely and submerging it, it was enough to dampen and likely ruin the log and stash note. I was wondering if it might be acceptable to place this micro INSIDE of a small, clear ziploc bag for the extra elements protection and hide that? Thanks!

Try testing it again after using a little Vaseline on the thread (if it has a thread) and on the O ring. I use a silicone oil or grease with good results. Also, screwing a cap on TOO tight can distort the O ring and cause it to fail.

Also, screwing a cap on TOO tight can distort the O ring and cause it to fail.

I think you solved it! I was screwing it in way too tightly and just re-tested screwing it in normally with great results! Thanks!

Also, screwing a cap on TOO tight can distort the O ring and cause it to fail.

I think you solved it! I was screwing it in way too tightly and just re-tested screwing it in normally with great results! Thanks!

Now if you could only get everyone that finds it to screw on the top to the proper amount of tightness.

There used to be fairly commonly used container called a "decon". It had a plastic lid that when sealed properly would keep out water pretty well. Unfortunately, most people didn't put the lid back on properly and they'd leak badly.

If you are already concerned about the container leaking before placing it I would go with another container. We mostly use containers that have proven themselves as good ones and still run into problems. There are some containers out there you can find for about $1 like a match stick container or others that should work. Or even better ones for a couple of $ more. It might seem like a big deal to spend a couple of $ to buy a container but it is nice to just sit back and watch the logs come in about the find with no problems rather then have to drive back out there and fix it up all the time. That costs more. I know when we started we thought we would go check on our hides all the time to see how they are doing. We quickly realized with even ones close to home that it is not all that fun to do that if you don't have to.

Other wise if you really want to use that container find somewhere that might have additional shelter to help it stay dry.