Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Roelwin

Shared lists

12 posts in this topic

I accidentally stumbled across a shared list by someone else on the GS website. It was usefull to see a list of multis with a certain characteristic. But I can't seem to find how I got to those shared lists on the website.

 

If someone knows what I'm talking about, could you please explain where to find those lists?

0

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know that there's a master list of shared bookmark lists. How I usually find them is go to a cache page; the shared lists (if there are any) with that cache in it will be listed on the right side of the page.

 

Generally if I'm trying to find a shared list, I'll go to one of the caches that have the characteristic I'm looking for, and I hope I find a shared list on the cache page. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know that there's a master list of shared bookmark lists. How I usually find them is go to a cache page; the shared lists (if there are any) with that cache in it will be listed on the right side of the page.

 

Generally if I'm trying to find a shared list, I'll go to one of the caches that have the characteristic I'm looking for, and I hope I find a shared list on the cache page. :)

 

Thanks, that was indeed the way how I found it. It would be great if GS optimized this feature regarding the abilitie to search or browse through them.

0

Share this post


Link to post

A bit of nomenclature: on Geocaching.com a bookmark list that shows up on a cache page is shared and PUBLIC.

So the list you saw on the cache page was a PUBLIC list. It shows on the cache page, and it appears on the profile of the list owner, under their lists tab.

 

A bookmark list can be shared, but not PUBLIC. To see it, you need the specific URL of the list. It does not show up on the list owner's profile. This is a handy way to create lists that you only wish to share with friends, say a group of caches to find together.

 

And no, there's no way to search for public bookmarks.

0

Share this post


Link to post

 

And no, there's no way to search for public bookmarks.

 

There should be a function to search for public bookmark lists.

0

Share this post


Link to post

 

And no, there's no way to search for public bookmarks.

 

There should be a function to search for public bookmark lists.

 

While its not a site function, there is an easy way to find public bookmark lists: if you have good search terms, you can do a site specific search on Google and it will return bookmark lists.

 

For example, if I wanted to, say, find a public bookmark list that had caches near airports, I could go to Google and type in "airport bookmark site:geocaching.com" and it would give me these results. Like any search, the relevance decreases over time, but the first few results clearly are lists made up of caches near or in airports.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I use a similar url which gives less false positives:

 

keyword site:geocaching.com/bookmarks/view

 

There is also a small GSAK macro snippet to do that:

Search Bookmark List

 

Frohes Jagen

Hans

 

Edit: typo

Edited by HHL
0

Share this post


Link to post

Once you find these shared bookmarks is there a way to copy it to your lists without having to create your own bookmark and go to each cache individually to add them to your newly created bookmark??

1

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

On 4/24/2017 at 6:15 AM, Team_Langston said:

Once you find these shared bookmarks is there a way to copy it to your lists without having to create your own bookmark and go to each cache individually to add them to your newly created bookmark??

It would be very useful if you could select the ones you want and copy them to a list of your own ... something like the checkboxes for delting them, but with the option to copy them to your own list.

Although, making a pocket query from a bookmark list then add the ones you want to a new list of your own does work.

Edited by Auld Pharrrt
Addendum
0

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Auld Pharrrt said:

It would be very useful if you could select the ones you want and copy them to a list of your own ... something like the checkboxes for delting them, but with the option to copy them to your own list.[...]

You can do that right now with a little url hacking.
Combine this core url: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?ot=4&bm=
With the BM Code: BM3Q2VX
and this items: &sort=GeocacheName&asc=True

to this url: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?ot=4&bm=BM3Q2VX&sort=GeocacheName&asc=True

Now sort, filter, map and select caches to your needs. You may now also copy select caches to another Bookmark list.
There is also a GSAK macro for more convenience building this new view: SortMapFilterBMList.gsk
 

Hans

0

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/3/2018 at 7:57 PM, HHL said:

You can do that right now with a little url hacking.
Combine this core url: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?ot=4&bm=
With the BM Code: BM3Q2VX
and this items: &sort=GeocacheName&asc=True

to this url: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?ot=4&bm=BM3Q2VX&sort=GeocacheName&asc=True

Now sort, filter, map and select caches to your needs. You may now also copy select caches to another Bookmark list.
There is also a GSAK macro for more convenience building this new view: SortMapFilterBMList.gsk
 

Hans

Many thanks Hans ,,, I don't quite understand it, but I have printed it and will experiment later until I do understand it ... many thanks indeed.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2