Hudson Highlands Cache Jaunt

briansnat

Jonboy's been pushing the Hudson Highlands as a great place to hunt caches. He claims it is a wonderful, beautiful place. Well if it was so wonderful, I say they would have built New York City there instead of where it is.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting together another goup hunt so we can bag some of the caches up there and get Jonboy off our backs icon_wink.gif.

So what does the gang think? Who'd be up for a HH excursion and what weekend would be best for everyone?

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

All right Brian! Be sure and bring a camera. Actually the region was once known as Millionaires Row because of all the tycoons who had mansions along here. They did have the largest cannon foundry in the world at Cold Spring at the time of the civil war, but the region has remained relatively undeveloped because of it's ruggedness. If there was any one trail I would say you must do, it would be Breakneck Ridge ( I'm biased because I maintain it.) They have also just opened up all of Storm King, including the very scenic Howell Trail.( I won't be putting any caches there because of the off trail restrictions that remain in effect.) The terrain is extreme, so I wouldn't expect to round up a whole lot of caches unless you want to do a death march, but you could round up the caches around Breakneck and Taurus if you are willing to put in a couple of thousand feet in elevation gain. There is also the cluster at the northeast end of the range above Beacon, I was being facetious when I said they were easy pickings, but they are more wild and remote. I would be interested in joining you if I am free.

I can concur with jonboy about Breakneck. Its a great place for a hike/workout. Here is one cache I have completed on Breakneck. Look at some of the pics for the scenery that is around while hiking Breakneck. In one of my pics you will even see me wearing a full pack; me and my girlfriend were training for our Grand Canyon trip. Although the Breakneck training helped, the Grand Canyon still kicked our butts! icon_wink.gif

There are a couple of other caches in that area I haven't fetched yet. I would be glad to join a group venture for a hike in this region.

Last I heard the state wanted a chainsaw crew to take down the dead trees on some sections of Storm King before they opened the whole thing. An odd request. If dead trees were an issue, then a lot of trails should be closed! I guess they already did this if the trails are open.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 16, 2003 at 06:25 PM.]

Count me in on this one...depending on when it happens. I love hiking the highlands but it's an area I don't hike alone in so there's still a few out there I haven't gotten... though I'm not trying to steer you away from those I have gotten... company for maintenance is mandatory also. So lets figure out a date here and get this hike on the trails! Planet and I have found a local (fishkill) pub that actually makes buffalo wings the way they were meant to be cooked... that alone is a reason to attend the hike..though the cold beer helps too... maybe we could set up an after hike rendevous for those that can't make it for the hike? Breakneck is one of those hikes I haven't done yet but I've been anxious to do... an event for the accomplishment would add to it's worthiness icon_smile.gif though it doesn't need it..but heck.. we'd have alot to talk about at happy hour!

Let's start talking about dates. How about the 26th or 27th of July or the 2nd or 3rd of August. What exactly we do wouldn't matter too much to me, but it should be a single hike to bag a number of caches rather than a lot of driving around. I see two such clusters as being candidates, either the ones between Breakneck and Taurus, which would be a bit of a killer, but really spectacular, or the cluster at the north end of the range, which would involve only one big climb, but would not be in the more famous area.

I'm with Jonboy. No driving around. Find an area with a bunch of caches and a nice walk and bag them along the way. I'm not looking for one of those "cache machine" hunts. If we can find 4-5 cache along the way, that would be great. A group of us did something like this in Harriman (we found 8) and had a great time. Wings and brews afterwards would also be really nice.

Weekend of August 2nd is out for me, but the weekend after is fine. I have to check with the family social director about the weekend of 26th to see what's going on. I think I have something, but I'm not sure right now.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'm with Jonboy. No driving around. Find an area with a bunch of caches and a nice walk and bag them along the way. I'm not looking for one of those "cache machine" hunts. If we can find 4-5 cache along the way, that would be great. A group of us did something like this in Harriman (we found 8) and had a great time. Wings and brews afterwards would also be really nice.

Weekend of August 2nd is out for me, but the weekend after is fine. I have to check with the family social director about the weekend of 26th to see what's going on. I think I have something, but I'm not sure right now.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

Keep me in mind for this!

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy