Does the fun have to end?

azog

Well, seems like my period of extended unemployment is about to end. I've been out of work since July 2001. Yup, that's over a year. But I didn't start caching until about six weeks ago. Too bad I didn't start sooner. Several things held me back. Mainly the cost of a GPS receiver. I didn't actually buy one until I knew I had a pretty good job offer in the works. Even tho the cheapest ones are around $100, that's still $100 of groceries I might need little later on. But with a secure offer, I felt the pressure ease a bit.

Now that my time off is going to end shortly, I am wondering how I'll be able to cache. A rhetorical question, mostly. I am single, and live alone. If the laundry doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. Since I've hit most of my local caches, within a 10 mile radius, most cache trips are of the day-trip type varity. I also seem to be taking a liking to the more difficult ones. Even given some of my more serious blunders, I think I'd rather exert myself on a 3/3, or better, type cache, than "play it safe".

I almost wished I didn't get the job.

----------

"Wan't" and "differen't" are not words.

Well I'm a single parent of a teenager, and although I don't get caching nearly as much as I'd like, I'm still doing it. I do have a flexible work schedule however. But between a full time job and a teenager, I'd say you'll still have more free time than me!

Where there's a will, there's a way...

Congrats on the job...

Keep Earth clean, it's not Uranus.

Geocaching is only one of many interests I have. Playing softball and soccer, as well as coaching my daughter's travelling soccer team take up a lot of my time in the spring, fall and summer. Skiing is our winter pastime. Then there is my Sunday archeological dig. And of course the job and the usual family obligations, birthday parties, confirmations, baptisms...always seems like something is going on.

But one of my real loves is hiking and I try to get out and do it as often as possible. Because Geocaching is so compatible with hiking, whether to place or find a cache, I try to combine the two when possible. I make it a point to get out and hike every weekend, even if only for an hour. Sometimes this precludes my looking for a cache, because if I only have an hour, I don't have the time to drive to a cache site. So all in all I don't have a lot of time for Geocaching, which explains why I have so few finds in nearly a year of Geocaching.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kell

Relax Azog!

I kinda fit your description except I have had a job since I started this madness. I managed to "fit" geocaching in. Its a matter of priority.

My laundry still gets done on Sunday but I did hire a maid to free up my Saturdays!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

True, we don't have any human children (on purpose), but we both have full-time jobs (8-5) and have 3 ferrets, a kitten, and own a home.

We find time one or two evenings a week to pick up a cache or two. On most Saturdays OR Sundays we take a nice little drive and pick up a few. Plus the fact that I am taking a 4-credit Human Anatomy and Physiology college course which requires plenty of studying, and my husband is nearly alays on-call as a network administrator for a local dot.com. Just tonight he got a call on his cell phone while we were out caching, but luckily he was able to take care of the situation over the phone.

What we're NOT looking forward to is fall/winter when days are much shorter. I guess then we'll just have to break out our flashlights and make 'em nighttime caches!

I used to clean the house all the time and study constantly. I was not happy then. Now I feel like my life is much more balanced. Sure, the house is no longer spotless, and I might not get an A in the course I'm taking this semester, but, along with my husband have experienced so many wonderful places and happy feelings because of geocaching that we never would have had otherwise.

You will find a place in your life for those things that are most important and dear to you. Whether or not that includes geocaching is up to you.

Great, that you are now going to be employed again.

I have been watching you rack up all the local caches and wondering how you found the time.

Now I know.

You can keep caching, you just have to do it on weekends and nights like most of the rest of us.

I don't do Geocache as much as I would like. Between managing a business, home maintenance and a passion for getting away on camping weekends, Geocaching doesn't always fit into the picture. (Sigh) sooo much to enjoy, so little time.

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

I too have been out of work...since May. I love this sport so much that I've actually gotten a job that I can geo-cache with, when I start. I'm starting the new job in Sept, going to Philly for a month, and I have just downloaded a few caches in Philly to do while I'm there.

I also always have my caching bag with me and my gps, so no matter where I am, I can look up a waypoint and hunt a cache.

Good luck to you with your continued hunting and I hope to see you on the trails...

Trusty

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

Now that my time off is going to end shortly, I am wondering how I'll be able to cache. A rhetorical question, mostly. I am single, and live alone. If the laundry doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. Since I've hit most of my local

Single, day job... hah! Right up my alley.

You know the drill... caching at dawn, caching in the evening, quick cache at lunchtime. (Well... okay, I don't do that very much these days but I think I did squeeze in eight caches on a workday once.) On the weekends, get going before dawn on Saturday morning, stay overnight at a motel some 200 to 250 miles away, and continue until Sunday night. That's how you get all the finds in.

And oh... in the office is when you get some rest. icon_smile.gif

As for the laundry problem... ummm... you can afford more clothes now that you have a good job, right? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

Now that my time off is going to end shortly, I am wondering how I'll be able to cache. A rhetorical question, mostly. I am single, and live alone. If the laundry doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. Since I've hit most of my local

Single, day job... hah! Right up my alley.

You know the drill... caching at dawn, caching in the evening, quick cache at lunchtime. (Well... okay, I don't do that very much these days but I think I did squeeze in eight caches on a workday once.) On the weekends, get going before dawn on Saturday morning, stay overnight at a motel some 200 to 250 miles away, and continue until Sunday night. That's how you get all the finds in.

And oh... in the office is when you get some rest. icon_smile.gif

As for the laundry problem... ummm... you can afford more clothes now that you have a good job, right? icon_biggrin.gif