Need your opinion on Newark, NJ cache spot

The Artful Dodger

Hey Gang,

The last few weekends I have been scouting the Newark NJ area near the airport for a spot to set up a Travel Bug Hotel. ( My #$@ Geomonkeys cant seem to get the hell outta this country - they love it here too much! icon_biggrin.gif )

There is one near LAX that is a good example Grand Central Station

Perhaps its me or something but I cant seem to find an appropriate place near highway turnoffs etc.

I have found two great spots but they are within a cemetary in a secluded spot far from graves and from the public - but nevertheless, still in a cemetary. How would fellow geocachers feel about this. I have never considered cemetary spots due to various reasons but is it a bad idea? Would you visit it ?

Should I drop the idea of placing a Hotel in a cemetary and keep looking or is it acceptable? It would be a straight-forward cache hunt.

Artful Dodger

[This message was edited by The Artful Dodger on November 01, 2002 at 01:50 PM.]

I do not, however, mind caches placed in cemeteries. icon_wink.gif Usually there are wooded/lightly wooded areas that work well as cache sites ... as long as they aren't already serving as homeless encampments.

(Sorry Artful Dodger; I had to do it. "Cemetery" seems to be the word most often misspelled on these forums, followed closely by "weird.")

This would bother me from a permission standpoint. In a public park whether cacher asked or not is not to important to me but a cemetery is private property. It also requires respectfulness of the property and those resting there. Also I have heard of crime in cemeteries too so my safety would be another concern.

Overall I don't think it would be high on my list of place to put a cache or for that matter take a Travel Bug. We lose to many to the graveyard (virtual) already.

I was also considering placing a travel bug hotel. I couldn't think of any place near the airport where I could hide a large ammo box (I'd think a TB hotel should be a fairly large and watertight container), so I was considering putting one near the juncton of Route 80 & 287. Not exactly near the airport, but its a spot that would be passed by many while traveling to and from the airport.

If you come up with a spot near the airport, even if in a summertiry, all the better.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Scoured the area like a like a brand new geocacher looking again for a suitable spot for my Ammo can Travel Bug Motel.... nothing, nada, nix, niet, nope! I went back to the cemet'e'ries and decided against them....I saw some 'warning' signs about only being there for grave viewing only.

Oh Well...I have a brand new TB (Magnus) that needs to get to the UK. overseas....I'll have to resort to a regular cache for it.

I like your idea Brian...want to team up here?

Dodger,

I am going to the UK this month and plan to do a little geocaching. I already have one travel bug whose owner wants it to make the trip and I would be happy to take more. Just don't ask me to go to a toxic waste site or the median of the the Jersey Turnpike to pick it up. Woods would be nice, mountains even better.

jonboy

Just curious if you have the waypoints for those cemeteries?

The reason I ask is that I am looking at MapSource, and there seems to be a big park at N40 41.784 W74 12.107 called Weequahic Park, and it's less than 1 mile from the Route 9 ramps to the airports.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

Just curious if you have the waypoints for those cemeteries?

The reason I ask is that I am looking at MapSource, and there seems to be a big park at N40 41.784 W74 12.107 called Weequahic Park, and it's less than 1 mile from the Route 9 ramps to the airports.

----------

Hi Azog

Yep, I use mapsource as well as yes, I went to Weequahic park today to give it another scrutiny. Its a great looking park but it is infested with a lot of litter. I suspect that some of the isolated areas are 'homeless encampments' as BassoonPilot so aptly put it. Also, there wasn't a firm spot I felt comfortable that a Travel Bug Hotel will remain plunder-free.

Ok, I had this Ammo Can Hotel burning in the trunk of my car and Newark was a no-go.

I placed this hotel in a spot I have been eyeing for a while for a cache but it will more than suffice for a TB hotel.

Its already been placed with two guests but the Grand Opening will be delayed until hotel 'renovations' and staff personnel have been hired. Its hard to find good help these days.. icon_biggrin.gif (We need to fill the position of the Concierge and the Cabana Pool Boy, if anyone is interested.. icon_wink.gif )

Hotel is in the vicinity of I-287 and I-87 catching both NY and NJ traffic not far from the Tappan Zee Bridge. Not near an airport unfortunately but near major highway arteries at least...and easy to get to.

Watch this space ...

Maybe we can open a chain. One, like yours, for travellers approaching from, or heading north, another for people approaching from or headed west and one more for people approaching from, or going south.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

I'm going this weekend to check out a possible spot for a travel bug hostel near the I80/I81 interchange in PA. Since the area I want to check would be in PA Game Lands near a parking area, I wasn't sure I wanted to use an Ammo Box. What do you think about an ammo box in the game lands vs a clear plastic Rubbermaid container?

quote:
Originally posted by MapLady:

. What do you think about an ammo box in the game lands vs a clear plastic Rubbermaid container?

From my experience (and I am sure others would concur) the ammo box is numero uno here. It is sturdy AND waterproof. Cache contents are dry and protected.

Also, in my humble opinion, rubbermaids and tupperwares tend to be on the small side and may not cater for larger Travel Bugs.