Finding Archived Caches

Muddy Dawgs

With the new Find A Cache feature there seems to be no way to find archived caches by entering either the GC code or the cache name. The only way that I seem to be able to locate an archived cache now is to go the the cache hider's page and look through their cache hides. Not too helpful if one can't remember who hid the cache. We used to be able to enter either the cache name or GC code in the find a cache area. Now when you do that either you get "nothing found" or a list of a bunch of caches in that area, but not the archived cache.

You can search for archived caches at Project GC.

Do a Map Compare (under the Tools menu) and use the filter which allows you to include either disabled or archived caches. You'll probably need to be fairly precise about the geographical area to get much of use out of it.

There are some current issues with Project GC being denied access to the API by Groundspeak due to server load on Groundspeak servers (or something like that) so you may not be able to do this until Monday or so. There's probably a good reason for that...

With the new Find A Cache feature there seems to be no way to find archived caches by entering either the GC code or the cache name. The only way that I seem to be able to locate an archived cache now is to go the the cache hider's page and look through their cache hides. Not too helpful if one can't remember who hid the cache. We used to be able to enter either the cache name or GC code in the find a cache area. Now when you do that either you get "nothing found" or a list of a bunch of caches in that area, but not the archived cache.

With some more searching myself and seeing other recent posts, I see that I can find an archived cache (if I know the GC code) be entering the GC code in "log a cache" or by entering the GC code in the box labeled "search for nearby caches" in the upper right side of the Geocaching Home Page. Both locations are certainly not intuitively obvious methods. However, I still do not see any way to find an archived cache if all I have is just the cache name - even the exact cache name.

However, I still do not see any way to find an archived cache if all I have is just the cache name - even the exact cache name.

I don't believe that functionality was ever available on Geocaching.com. You always needed to know the GC Code, who hid it, or someone who found it.

Trick: include "site:geocaching.com" in the query for only pages on the website.

Trick #2: include "inurl:geocache" to only match urls with 'geocache' in it (currently includes any primary cache listing; even archived, if it wasn't PMO and in google's database)

For example, try googling:

site:geocaching.com inurl:geocache "Block Party" 2015