Caches along Route 23

briansnat

Harrald Wrote:

==================================================

while we were in the area I did a quick look at the caches that were listed. There were almost none! I drove along route 23 from 287 to Wallkill high school. Along the way I saw woods and what appeared to be a huge state park. This is untouched caching territory. I'm going to do a bit of research today (it's raining so I can't go out and play) and figure out if there's a reason no one has placed there.

=================================================

Actually there are many caches in the route 23 corridor between Hamburg and 287. Most are towards 287 end. I know because I personally have placed a dozen ,or so that are no more than a 5-10 minute ride from Route 23 and there are caches placed by others as well. The area is cache rich. Now up towards Hamburg is a different story, but there isn't a lot of public parkland in that stretch. Hamburg Mtn WMA is one place that is on my list of potential cache sites

Along Rt. 23 closer to Hamburg (I guess) there was what appeared to be a state or county park. I didn't have a chance to mark a waypoint and I forgot the name within mins. It was on the north side of 23. Does anyone from that area know what it's called?

PS

Thanks for letting me know about the watershed problem. I didn't see anything about it on the maps I checked.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

The watershed property is clearly marked on the NY/NJ Trail Conference's North Jersey Trails map #21. There is one cache that I know of on the property, which I found this week after getting a hiking permit.

There are a lot of nice trails in the watershed, so the permit good to have, whether caching, or not. You can get the permit at the office on Echo Lake Rd. Mon-Fri, 9:00 - 4:00. I don't know the exact address, but its on the left, a couple of miles north of Route 23. Its hard to miss. The permit is only $8 ($1 each for duplicates in case you have more than one car)