Newbee seeking advice

okc553

Hello everyone. I have only recently discovered the joys of Geocaching so I am still stumbling about learning, but enjoying it all as well! Two questions:

Firstly, I need some advice on which Handheld GPS to buy.

Secondly, until I buy a handheld I am relying on my iPhone and the Geocache App. For some reason, the "Accuracy" is set t/o +/- 65m, which makes things a little tricky. Is there a way of changing that setting please?

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. I have only recently discovered the joys of Geocaching so I am still stumbling about learning, but enjoying it all as well! Two questions:

Firstly, I need some advice on which Handheld GPS to buy.

Secondly, until I buy a handheld I am relying on my iPhone and the Geocache App. For some reason, the "Accuracy" is set t/o +/- 65m, which makes things a little tricky. Is there a way of changing that setting please?

Thanks in advance.

Which App? Groundspeak have two, and there are others!

But, usually you can't change the 'accuracy'

Follow the arrow has a section on various GPS's and how they compare. (It's written by one of the UK reviewers) and lots of other helpful info for cachers, especially those in the UK. :D

It's not true "accuracy", and it isn't a setting. It is a 'margin of error' possibility. ALL GPS-type devices have it... it's a part of the beast.

Yes, for brevity, they call it "Accuracy", but that truly isn't what it means.

If that is the sole reason that you want a dedicated unit, it is not necessarily a good reason.

Some dedicated units may be more consistent, but they all have a 'margin-of-error', regardless. Even within the same Brand/make/model, there are variations in that factor.

If you expect to find a consumer-grade unit that will take you TO a geocache each and every time, it simply isn't going to happen. It will take you to the area of a geocache (coordinates)... at least not a unit that most of us would be willing to shell out for.

In that geocaches are supposedly placed with other consumer-grade device readings, a professional-grade unit does you no good anyway.

Any Garmin unit or even Magellan unit should suffice, newer models of course, have more "frosting" -- handy, but unnecessary features.

"Frosting" is nice, to be sure... but not really necessary.