I'd like a streamlined system... from GC.com to my phone

Pengana

Over the years I've tried several methods to make a list of caches I planned to find. (To be honest, I miss printing out the listing sheets and driving around with GPS in hand. It was so darn easy)

But gotta keep up with the times so

WHAT IS YOUR RECOMMENDATION FOR

2. CHOOSING random caches from geocaching.com (not Ness. along a 'route')
  3. ADDING THEM TO A LIST (I suppose abookmark list is best... not a pocket query... but any other suggestions?)
  4. AND HAVE THESE CACHES miraculously be accessible on my Android Smart phone (Samsung Galaxy 4).

I need a 'system'. Not sure which apps to have on my phone... or which map app to have? Every scenario I try seems tedious (go here - add this - download .loc - then open app - import .loc - opps it needs a mapping program... install that... etc... WHAT A MESS

Any help greatly appreciated,

Pengana

Edited by Pengana

Over the years I've tried several methods to make a list of caches I planned to find. (To be honest, I miss printing out the listing sheets and driving around with GPS in hand. It was so darn easy)

But gotta keep up with the times so

WHAT IS YOUR RECOMMENDATION FOR

2. CHOOSING random caches from geocaching.com (not Ness. along a 'route')
  3. ADDING THEM TO A LIST (I suppose abookmark list is best... not a pocket query... but any other suggestions?)
  4. AND HAVE THESE CACHES miraculously be accessible on my Android Smart phone (Samsung Galaxy 4).

I need a 'system'. Not sure which apps to have on my phone... or which map app to have? Every scenario I try seems tedious (go here - add this - download .loc - then open app - import .loc - opps it needs a mapping program... install that... etc... WHAT A MESS

Any help greatly appreciated,

Pengana

As a Premium Member.

Bookmark the caches. Run a Pocket Query.

(Helps if they are in the same area, or are part of a series. You may need several Bookmarks/PQs for different series/caches in different areas.)

Groundspeaks app will allow you to make a list of caches, but it's load all at once, or one by one...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

My approach (when I'm not just picking whatever caches happen to be nearby) is to bookmark the caches I'm interested in, run a PQ based on the bookmark list, and then download the PQ to Neongeo on my Android phone. There are some bookmark lists (e.g., solved unfound puzzles) that I use often enough that I run the PQ daily.

Or, if it's a geocaching trip where I don't want to use my Android phone (e.g., boating, rough terrain, longer than the phone batteries will last), then I download the PQ and copy it to my eXplorist 310.

If you are using the phone where there is data service, whatever App you choose will retrieve maps for you, as needed. Assuming you're always in a service area, picking a handful of choice caches, and using Google Chrome and the Official Geocaching App, one simple way would be this:

-- Use the web browser to choose caches as you like. Save each as a web bookmark.

-- When you head out, open a likely cache page book mark, and the phone will ask if you want to open it in Chrome or the Geocaching App. Choose Geocaching App.

-- The App navigates you to the cache.

If you need maps due to having no phone service at cache sites, there will be extra preparation to do in advance. And especially if that's the case, and you plan to cache in particular areas, Pocket Queries of those areas will be useful. You can pre-load map tiles from within the Geocaching App before leaving the area of data service. If you make bookmark lists of select caches, then create PQs as others mentioned, you'll have a record of the caches you really don't want to miss, plus you'll see nearby caches on the map while you're in the area. If you always have data service, the App shows a live display of nearby caches wherever you are.

It's almost always better to get the GPX file, which has cache the description, instead of the LOC file. And if you have data service, it's even better to pull up the cache page which has images and page formatting (even tricky HTML stuff on puzzle caches) that won't be shown in offline data.

Edited by kunarion
If you need maps due to having no phone service at cache sites, there will be extra preparation to do in advance.
FWIW, Neongeo has an offline map system that will automatically download and cache maps for the areas surrounding the geocaches you've downloaded to it. Other apps have similar features.
If you need maps due to having no phone service at cache sites, there will be extra preparation to do in advance.
FWIW, Neongeo has an offline map system that will automatically download and cache maps for the areas surrounding the geocaches you've downloaded to it. Other apps have similar features.

I wonder if the OP is asking about offline ideas. If so, the caches need to be loaded in advance into whichever App it is. There are several ways to do so, but involve performing some manual steps.

I use CacheSense on a GS3 and do this a couple ways.

1. Download a pocket query to the app.

2. Create a category in the app and then

A. Do a live search near me, near some other coordinates, etc.

B. Search by name or keyword - great for series.

C. Pan the map to an area of interest and download everything in the current view.

D. Import a GPX file from GSAK, Basecamp, etc.

Naturally there are filter settings to allow you to choose to only target certain cache attributes, ignore disabled, etc.

I use CacheSense on a GS3 and do this a couple ways.

1. Download a pocket query to the app.

2. Create a category in the app and then

A. Do a live search near me, near some other coordinates, etc.

B. Search by name or keyword - great for series.

C. Pan the map to an area of interest and download everything in the current view.

D. Import a GPX file from GSAK, Basecamp, etc.

Naturally there are filter settings to allow you to choose to only target certain cache attributes, ignore disabled, etc.

CacheSense will pull up a Bookmark List...no need for PQs. It's the last tab in the Profile portion. You can even add a cache to a Bookmark List from within the cache listing on the app ("three dot" menu button-->Tools-->Add to Bookmark List).

CacheSense will pull up a Bookmark List...no need for PQs.

If the OP selects a handful of cool caches in advance (or even while traveling), and goes caching where there is a data signal, that would be a simple way to do what the OP is asking.

Sometimes I write down some caches I don't want to miss, or even note them on a printed map. I have CacheSense and other Apps, but no live connection. The Apps don't seem to know I'm not online, and I always click some Internet-only feature without thinking, and then wait a few minutes for the App to notice it didn't load. Anyway, it can be tough to highlight particular caches yet allow opportunities to find other caches near them. Bookmarks would be a good plan.

Edited by kunarion

I find it fairly easy using the Groundspeak paid app. I cruise the map around where I'm going, having a look at cache pages. Anything that catches my eye I add to an offline list making them all available in one place and if I happen to be in an area without any reception I still have access to all the cache details. Often I do the map cruising on the computer and transfer the GC code to the App.

It would be nice however if the "Send to Phone" button on the cache pages actually worked and sent that cache to the phone app.