Auto TB Question

larkspeed

I just purchased an Auto TB for my car and I have a question.

It came with 2 vinyl stickers and a proper aluminium travel bug complete with copy tag.

Now obviously this is not collectible as it is attached to my car, my question is can I attach the actual metal TB to my rucksack so it can be discovered when I am out in the field or would this cause problems since the matching number is also on my car.

My car and I are usually not far apart when I'm out caching.

I just purchased an Auto TB for my car and I have a question.

It came with 2 vinyl stickers and a proper aluminium travel bug complete with copy tag.

Now obviously this is not collectible as it is attached to my car, my question is can I attach the actual metal TB to my rucksack so it can be discovered when I am out in the field or would this cause problems since the matching number is also on my car.

My car and I are usually not far apart when I'm out caching.

So someone you meet on the trail would log a rucksack named larkspeed mobile?

- Then log it again when finding the car at parking?

TBs are cheap. Why not just get another for the pack?

Well first I would assume that most people are smart enough to realize the two numbers are the same and not try and log the same bug twice.

Second travel bugs are cheap...... to some people, if you are like me and geocache on an extremely tight budget even what seems like a small price for a travel bug to you is a lot for me so I try to get the most out of what I spend.

Well first I would assume that most people are smart enough to realize the two numbers are the same and not try and log the same bug twice.

On the face of it, this statement would seem true.... but it just doesn't stand as true in the real world.

I would suggest however, that you study the terms and terminology used in regards to trackables.

It can be (very) confusing.

"Collectible" has nothing to do with attachment to another object. It has to do with one's ability to place it into their "Collection".

"Collect" has no definition, regarding trackables.

Moved, move or moving likewise is undefined.

Placed (Dropped off);

Retrieved (from);

Grabbed (from);

Visited (Took it to);

and Discovered...

all have specific uses that don't usually or always coincide with 'normal' use of those terms.

"Grabbed" is most often misused, both in speaking terms and logging terms. "Dipping" is an archaic term though still used upon occasion, actually refers to "Visited" or "Took it to..."

Second travel bugs are cheap...... to some people, if you are like me and geocache on an extremely tight budget even what seems like a small price for a travel bug to you is a lot for me so I try to get the most out of what I spend.

Someone spots your pack on the trail.

With most using smartphones today, they simply type the numbers in and resume caching.

Later, after a dozen caches or so, they spot a car with a trackable on it at parking.

Typing in the numbers, they find it's the same one they logged in hours earlier on an item completely different.

- Lame.

cerberus1 I think your style of geocaching there in the US is somewhat different than it is here.

I am never "on a trail for hours", it's more a case of park somewhere close walk in, find the cache and sign the log and then walk out and go somewhere else.

If I am parked in one place for very long it's usually on the side of some random street in the middle of a village and the chances of someone running into both me and my car are pretty slim.

But whatever if it's that big of a deal I won't bother.

Edited by larkspeed
But whatever if it's that big of a deal I won't bother.

That's a good plan. :laughing:

If you carry a TB that could be attached to anything, some extra info on the TB page would be helpful. Pictures, too, but no picture of the tracking number itself.

I have a T-shirt, "Official Geocacher", and that TB has been on several shirts, and pin buttons, and name tags. One thing I eventually realized is, I don't want my TB tracking number large enough to be in a photo. People take pictures at Cache Events especially. So my most recent name tag has a tracking number that doesn't show up in photos. Anyway, it's been a TB number to log "me".

I have a different TB tracking code for my car (that number isn't not visible -- long story). That was just so I could tell when people log the car. If it was the same TB as my T-shirt, I wouldn't know which one they logged (TB "Discoveries" tend to be pretty vague). If I were to combine them, I'd mention on the TB page that it may be a shirt or my car, in case there's any confusion.