Vacation Cache

AKACRider

Ok, Yes I agree, I do need more finds, but I have just as much fun hiding, and the I archived had FATAL coord errors. Appearing to be in peoples houses ect. Etrex on a cloudy day. And my point to the matter is the reviewer is just not being open to ideas. And If I do talk him into it. I love the idea of hiding spares 50 of 60 ft away. And they a r e not drive n dump hides, im talking 2.5 and up, not by my standards, by a local with 7000 finds under his belt.

Just to be clear: you can't be bothered to take accurate coordinates, but you want the reviewer to let you publish geocaches that you can't possible maintain in places you don't live.

Right.

Exactly, you nailed it. <_<

Wow, this is a thrill ride of contempt and angst!

First, AKACRider, you opened the topic with a show of arrogance and defiance. There was no real reason to boast. The fact that you defended your arrogance by saying you weren't proved just that and set the tone. Not a good way to gain a positive first impression. Second, YOU attack anyone who disagrees with you with borderline inappropriate comments and further arrogance. You're fellow Alaskan, NeverSummer, has posted repeatedly in reasonable and measured responses explaining objectively WHY this is a bad idea.

It seems as if you came to the forums just to see if you could rattle cages and poke the bear. The guidelines are there for a reason. It's not up to you with less than 4 months of experience to change the world. There is a reason those in the forums respond to issues such as vacation caches and (maintenance throw downs) the way we do. we care about the game the way you claim to care about it. We, however, most likely have more of a passion to see it last. Your passion for the game is a singular one. YOUR wants to buck the system.

Story time... There once was a caching couple that placed many hides. They truly thought they were more creative than the rest in their area. They placed cheap leaky containers out in the open and claimed their superiority over the caching land.

Those that found their hides were severely disappointed, but alas, the cache hiders maintained their superiority by claiming that since they had thousands of finds, they new best how to place hides and under what circumstances. Their precious geocaches soon found themselves on ignore lists throughout the land, only to be found by those geocachers who used the ever malignant Intro App. Thus, the caches soon began to be misplaced and rehidden with disregard. This led to the park managers denying new caches by other worthy players once they were finally archived.

Oh, yes, they lived several thousand miles away, but reasoned that since they had visited and found a few caches in the area that they should be allowed to place them there. Maintenance plan or not, vacation caches are NEVER a good idea. Good intentions count for nothing when you aren't near enough to follow up on the plan in person often enough.

The end result too often ends up being a bad reputation on not just you, but the hobby of geocaching and everyone else that enjoys it. It's not just about you. It's about all of us.

I. Mean i knew it was hoing to be difficult, I was looking more for advice than agreement, im certainly not trying to bash on the reviewer.

So what advice, exactly, are you looking for?

It doesn't sound like what your reviewer is asking you to do (logging a bunch of finds in Georgia) would be a horrible burden to you. At worst, this would delay when your Georgia cache(s) could be published by a few months --- and you'd get to do some caching in Georgia in the meantime. Am I missing something obvious here?

Wow, this is a thrill ride of contempt and angst!

First, AKACRider, you opened the topic with a show of arrogance and defiance. There was no real reason to boast. The fact that you defended your arrogance by saying you weren't proved just that and set the tone. Not a good way to gain a positive first impression. Second, YOU attack anyone who disagrees with you with borderline inappropriate comments and further arrogance. You're fellow Alaskan, NeverSummer, has posted repeatedly in reasonable and measured responses explaining objectively WHY this is a bad idea.

It seems as if you came to the forums just to see if you could rattle cages and poke the bear. The guidelines are there for a reason. It's not up to you with less than 4 months of experience to change the world. There is a reason those in the forums respond to issues such as vacation caches and (maintenance throw downs) the way we do. we care about the game the way you claim to care about it. We, however, most likely have more of a passion to see it last. Your passion for the game is a singular one. YOUR wants to buck the system.

Story time... There once was a caching couple that placed many hides. They truly thought they were more creative than the rest in their area. They placed cheap leaky containers out in the open and claimed their superiority over the caching land.

Those that found their hides were severely disappointed, but alas, the cache hiders maintained their superiority by claiming that since they had thousands of finds, they new best how to place hides and under what circumstances. Their precious geocaches soon found themselves on ignore lists throughout the land, only to be found by those geocachers who used the ever malignant Intro App. Thus, the caches soon began to be misplaced and rehidden with disregard. This led to the park managers denying new caches by other worthy players once they were finally archived.

Oh, yes, they lived several thousand miles away, but reasoned that since they had visited and found a few caches in the area that they should be allowed to place them there. Maintenance plan or not, vacation caches are NEVER a good idea. Good intentions count for nothing when you aren't near enough to follow up on the plan in person often enough.

The end result too often ends up being a bad reputation on not just you, but the hobby of geocaching and everyone else that enjoys it. It's not just about you. It's about all of us.

I dont remember any arrogance, until people started reacting with arrogance, and what did I ever post that was borderline innapropriate, you point it out, ill ditch it, because that was not the goal of this thread. I started out being human and honest about this. Others escelated the situation, and any " fired up a bit " comments I made were to people not thinking about what the write, as hiding behind a screen posting whatever they want is a pet peeve of mine, I havent said a single thing on this forum, that I wouldnt say to someones face, in context of course, in real life. And I never totally dissagreed with neversummer, I just added Ideas, believe it or not the oppinions I have gotten from the cool headed people on here have swayed my Idea, belive it or not this was not to rattle cages, I probbably wont bother taking them with me after seeing how negatively people react to the matter. Again Im not trying to be arrogant i swear to you, im different from your story look at my caches. Ive got one drive and dump. One, my first hide, learning the game, all my caches I have, I have spent thought, time, and money on. Take my theives gadget cache for example. Ammo cans, padlocks, and enough swag for it, are not free, you cant just toss an ammo can anywhere and not get a found it log from the bomb squad.

Or look at birdseye view, it took me two hours to get across that swamp, to the one suitable tree, climbing spurs, saftey harnes, and the camo I used wasnt free, and after 2 weeks of planning, and contacting about the location, it took me 4 hours to put out.

Or look at abandoned, there are a good bit of DNF s on iT, because it is well hidden, and a majority of the found it logs talk about how the cache brought them to a new place, and the humerous stories finding it.

I. Mean i knew it was hoing to be difficult, I was looking more for advice than agreement, im certainly not trying to bash on the reviewer.

It doesn't sound like what your reviewer is asking you to do (logging a bunch of finds in Georgia) would be a horrible burden to you. At worst, this would delay when your Georgia cache(s) could be published by a few months --- and you'd get to do some caching in Georgia in the meantime. Am I missing something obvious here?

No youve got it... Thats nowhere in the guidelines.

As someone who caches a lot abroad I can say that vacation caches are pretty much always a bad idea. Yes, it means many countries would have many caches less, but it also means that there is actually someone who maintains the caches and who knows how they should be placed and what the local rules are, permissions, which areas are safe for placement and which aren't. We considered spending our vacation on Java, and while preparing found out pretty much all caches on the island are actually gone and continue as fake virtuals, or placed in historical monuments, or both. In cases such as that I wish the vacation cache guidelines were there much earlier. Do you know how those things are handled away from home in Georgia?

No youve got it... Thats nowhere in the guidelines.

Well ... it seems to me that you need to decide whether you want a strict reading of the Guidelines or not.

Strictly speaking, the reviewer's request that you find more caches in Georgia before placing a cache in Georgia is an exception to the Guidelines. But your request to place a cache thousands of miles from your home is also an exception to the Guidelines. If you want a strict reading of the Guidelines, so be it --- but then the chances that your cache listing will be approved, since it violates a strict reading of the Guidelines, decreases substantially.