Hibernating for the winter! Who's with me?

So far, this has been one of my busiest caching winters, but the lack of snow is the big factor in that. Whatever snow we have received since November has pretty much all melted away. I was a little shocked on New Years day as where I went caching had an inch or two on the ground. Where I live and the surrounding countryside is pretty much all brown and barren of snow...it's been a very unusual winter so far in northeastern Wisconsin. May it continue the rest of the season this way :D

I know! It's actually been pretty great so far! Christmas day we had NO snow on the ground, great caching day! I could get used to this... but the snow is coming in tonight. [:(]

Of course, it's also a lot warmer in the southern hemisphere and other locations closer to the equator.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's better for geocaching!

The last two days our maximum temperature has been 44C (111F) - if you stand outside in the sun it HURTS!

And if you forget to cover up your steering wheel when the car is left in the sun - see picture for what's needed.

a36a9fe1-6904-4788-85a9-9c5cd2e829dd_l.jpg

Omg, oven mitts are a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?? Well, you could come here and cache right now. I promise, you'll cool down. [:D] [:D] [:D]

I prefer the cooler months over the grueling hot summer months. Living in Denver we are fortunate to have mostly mild days in the winter. But then again, we've had several inches of snow the past few days and the temperature has been unseasonably cold. I did manage to chip the ice away from a few lamp post skirts today before the next round of snow hits.

Jerry

Mild winters would be GREAT! I've heard that about Colorado. And if it's any consolation, the snow comes in tonight. Boo. You're a better man than me chipping away at that ice for a LPC. Dunno that I would do that.

AND I WENT CACHING TODAY EVERYONE. IN THE COLD. OUTSIDE. IN THE WINTER. WOOT.

Temp 6 degrees below zero. I went caching today looking for the Creepy Skinner. I was joined by WeBeTNT, together we spent over one hour

looking for that little, little thing. While we were out there a man came by walking his dog. He also goes geocaching at times but did not want to stay

for the fun. When all was said and done we got FTF for that one.

Edited by Mn-treker

Temp 6 degrees below zero. I went caching today looking for the Creepy Skinner. I was joined by WeBeTNT, together we spent over one hour

looking for that little, little thing. While we were out there a man came by walking his dog. He also goes geocaching at times but did not want to stay

for the fun. When all was said and done we got FTF for that one.

You are a brave, brave soul. You definitely deserved that FTF! But maybe there wasn't much competition today. Haha! Brrrrr. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I've cached in all seasons and weathers. But I couldn't do it today. I went out for a simple LPC, I drove near it. But with the snow on the ground I would have to walk through, the snow over the skirt I would have to dig through, a few muggles nearby, and the cold temperature and the wind -- I decided I would just wait a couple more days. And the idea of an actual walk outside for a different cache, I couldn't even contemplate.

Cold doesn't bother me too much (unless it's super-windy), but snow can make it really difficult to find caches. I spent over an hour looking for one cache because the ground was covered with 9"-10" of snow (and still couldn't find it).

I reeeeeeeally hate the wind, too. That's the worst. WOOOOW! You are persistent! (bowing to you because I give up easily) Sorry you still couldn't find it, though. You deserve a point for perseverance. :D

I've cached in all seasons and weathers. But I couldn't do it today. I went out for a simple LPC, I drove near it. But with the snow on the ground I would have to walk through, the snow over the skirt I would have to dig through, a few muggles nearby, and the cold temperature and the wind -- I decided I would just wait a couple more days. And the idea of an actual walk outside for a different cache, I couldn't even contemplate.

Maybe we need to carry some sort of portable hair dryer in our geobags. Hey, did I just invent something?!! :lol:

I tend to be far more active in the cooler temperatures of the winter. Summer heat and the constant sweating are a real drag. But bring on the 40's to 50's temperatures and I'm out an about.

As evidence...

I have a solid week of vacation coming up and very ambitious plans for travel and caching. Going to be running about in my new Jeep, hitting them trails which were too much for the car. Woohoo!

A few years back I was visiting folks in Michigan (a suburb of the Great White North) where there was about 2 feet of snow on the ground and most main roads were clear, while there was packed snow to drive on across rural routes. I had a blast in freezing weather and found loads of caches (no leafs on trees to cover them up, doncherknow :anibad: ) if only I didn't have to get to an airport in Grand Rapids. Foo.

Ok, I had to go to a doctor appointment today, and thought about going to the three newest caches nearby (two were just published). It was daylight, and hovering around freezing, so I thought, maybe? :anitongue:

One of the newly published caches is near my parents house, and as I was almost ready to go, they called and told me that people were out there searching. I wasn't absolutely sure I was going to look for that one, but upon hearing that, I decided to stop on the way to my appointment. I don't care about ftf, but I think it's fun when a group of people gather to search for a new cache.

It was a solid dnf, but my parents came out and we all had a nice chat.

After my appointment, I decided to grab the other two caches, because doctor appointments are not my favorite thing in the world. I figured that even though I'm not a fan of winter caching, it would still be a bit of a treat.

So...didn't like the cold at all. If it was spring, I would have enjoyed it 10 times more. But It wasn't bad. At least it was caching. :rolleyes:

Maybe we need to carry some sort of portable hair dryer in our geobags. Hey, did I just invent something?!! :lol:
I don't know. I've never seen a cordless battery-powered hair dryer. But I have seen cordless battery-powered hand warmers. A friend has one that keeps his hands warm, recharges his iPhone, and serves as another backup LED flashlight. It charges via a standard USB charger.

I tend to be far more active in the cooler temperatures of the winter. Summer heat and the constant sweating are a real drag. But bring on the 40's to 50's temperatures and I'm out an about.

As evidence...

I have a solid week of vacation coming up and very ambitious plans for travel and caching. Going to be running about in my new Jeep, hitting them trails which were too much for the car. Woohoo!

A few years back I was visiting folks in Michigan (a suburb of the Great White North) where there was about 2 feet of snow on the ground and most main roads were clear, while there was packed snow to drive on across rural routes. I had a blast in freezing weather and found loads of caches (no leafs on trees to cover them up, doncherknow :anibad: ) if only I didn't have to get to an airport in Grand Rapids. Foo.

I'm not too fond of the sweaty summer months either. A caching friends makes fun of me, "When DO you cache?"

Winter = snowy and cold

Spring = tick infested

Summer = sweaty hot

Fall = just riiiiiight

Ok, I had to go to a doctor appointment today, and thought about going to the three newest caches nearby (two were just published). It was daylight, and hovering around freezing, so I thought, maybe? :anitongue:

One of the newly published caches is near my parents house, and as I was almost ready to go, they called and told me that people were out there searching. I wasn't absolutely sure I was going to look for that one, but upon hearing that, I decided to stop on the way to my appointment. I don't care about ftf, but I think it's fun when a group of people gather to search for a new cache.

It was a solid dnf, but my parents came out and we all had a nice chat.

After my appointment, I decided to grab the other two caches, because doctor appointments are not my favorite thing in the world. I figured that even though I'm not a fan of winter caching, it would still be a bit of a treat.

So...didn't like the cold at all. If it was spring, I would have enjoyed it 10 times more. But It wasn't bad. At least it was caching. :rolleyes:

THAT'S what I've been trying to tell myself lately. "At least it was caching." I DO have to get a fix every now and again!!!

I don't know. I've never seen a cordless battery-powered hair dryer. But I have seen cordless battery-powered hand warmers. A friend has one that keeps his hands warm, recharges his iPhone, and serves as another backup LED flashlight. It charges via a standard USB charger.

OhEmGee!! I want that right.now! And if it could also cook me dinner and let the dogs out it would be PERFECT.

We went out for a few hours this morning on a hike in 0°F temps to get some caches. It wasn't that bad and we got some FTFs.

Wow!! I'm impressed, zero? Hm, not happening for me. BUT I DID go to a caching event on Saturday where I was out for 3.5 hours. Yup, that's right. OUT.SIDE. It was like 38 degrees, but still! Way out of my normal comfort zone. So maybe I like winter-ish caching after all????

We went out for a few hours this morning on a hike in 0°F temps to get some caches. It wasn't that bad and we got some FTFs.

Wow!! I'm impressed, zero? Hm, not happening for me. BUT I DID go to a caching event on Saturday where I was out for 3.5 hours. Yup, that's right. OUT.SIDE. It was like 38 degrees, but still! Way out of my normal comfort zone. So maybe I like winter-ish caching after all????

:o That just doesn't sound right. ;)

We have a saying: “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing”, as some other posters have mentioned. If you know what you’re doing and are dressed properly you can be pretty comfortable and safe going out into what some would call nasty weather. I worked for four winters in what most people would call one of the most inhospitable spots on earth and really enjoyed it. The Mount Washington weather Observatory (NH) has some of the worst weather in the world (https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/current-summit-conditions.aspx ) and winds over 100mph and temps of -30 degrees F are a common occurrence in the winter. I never was concerned going outside up there. As to caching, I’m over 70 and have to be a little more careful but still get out there.

We've had a pretty mild winter in the foothills of North Carolina so I've actually gotten out to do quite a bit of caching. I can definitely see where snow would inhibit caching greatly, though, but the colder weather makes things quite a bit easier. Less leaves on trees, fewer pests, and fewer muggles out and about.

Here are portions of logs for 3 different days this past week. The winter conditions were different each day as described in the logs. We love winter caching and will be hosting our ninth annual event next month where dozens of cachers will come to cross ice on snowshoes to get caches on two islands.

Log Jan 15

A cold sunny day so we decided to head to Petit. Snow on trails was about 6 inches deep and we walked about 7 kms without snowshoes to pick up all the caches in the two series. Thanks for placing the caches to get us out into the cold fresh air.

Log Jan 17

This morning it was minus 20 C with a windchill of minus 35 C. A good day to hibernate, but Belladan wanted to cache so PA headed out with him. The first few P & G caches froze our fingers but we were determined so we continued.

We then decided to do the Whiskey series on foot (4 kms)from MacDougall road. The first couple were out next to an open field which was bitterly cold with the strong winds blowing in our faces. But we continued on till we got in the woods. The snow had drifted in spots but the walking was pretty good, even without snowshoes.

Log Jan 20

The recent rain has removed the snow on the trail and left an icy trail in spots, the biggest problem was for the first 4 caches as water has run down the hill and covered the ice, making the walking a little difficult. Once up the hill there are some parts of the trail with bare spots for easier walking and also a few icy spots. Be careful out there. Round trip 9 kms according to odometer on gps.

We have a saying: “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing”, as some other posters have mentioned. If you know what you’re doing and are dressed properly you can be pretty comfortable and safe going out into what some would call nasty weather. I worked for four winters in what most people would call one of the most inhospitable spots on earth and really enjoyed it. The Mount Washington weather Observatory (NH) has some of the worst weather in the world (https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/current-summit-conditions.aspx ) and winds over 100mph and temps of -30 degrees F are a common occurrence in the winter. I never was concerned going outside up there. As to caching, I’m over 70 and have to be a little more careful but still get out there.

Hooooooly cow! THAT is cold! Well I've learned I can be comfy at 38 degrees so I'll try to work my way down. Hahaha!

We've had a pretty mild winter in the foothills of North Carolina so I've actually gotten out to do quite a bit of caching. I can definitely see where snow would inhibit caching greatly, though, but the colder weather makes things quite a bit easier. Less leaves on trees, fewer pests, and fewer muggles out and about.

Fewer pests is my FAVORITE thing about it!! :lol: "Foothills of North Carolina" sounds like a lovely place to cache!!

Here are portions of logs for 3 different days this past week. The winter conditions were different each day as described in the logs. We love winter caching and will be hosting our ninth annual event next month where dozens of cachers will come to cross ice on snowshoes to get caches on two islands.

Log Jan 15

A cold sunny day so we decided to head to Petit. Snow on trails was about 6 inches deep and we walked about 7 kms without snowshoes to pick up all the caches in the two series. Thanks for placing the caches to get us out into the cold fresh air.

Log Jan 17

This morning it was minus 20 C with a windchill of minus 35 C. A good day to hibernate, but Belladan wanted to cache so PA headed out with him. The first few P & G caches froze our fingers but we were determined so we continued.

We then decided to do the Whiskey series on foot (4 kms)from MacDougall road. The first couple were out next to an open field which was bitterly cold with the strong winds blowing in our faces. But we continued on till we got in the woods. The snow had drifted in spots but the walking was pretty good, even without snowshoes.

Log Jan 20

The recent rain has removed the snow on the trail and left an icy trail in spots, the biggest problem was for the first 4 caches as water has run down the hill and covered the ice, making the walking a little difficult. Once up the hill there are some parts of the trail with bare spots for easier walking and also a few icy spots. Be careful out there. Round trip 9 kms according to odometer on gps.

Snowshoeing to islands sounds FUN!! Jeez, that IS a very diverse winter week! You all are hearty souls. :)

Snowshoeing to islands sounds FUN!! Jeez, that IS a very diverse winter week! You all are hearty souls. :)

Here is a slideshow of our Ice Walk event two years ago. It is kind of long but has lots of shots of geocachers crossing the ice and on the islands. You can skip the first minute which is indoors stuff. At the 5 minute mark there is a fantastic photo series of dozens of heron nests high up in the trees on one of the islands.

We have a saying: "There's no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing", as some other posters have mentioned. If you know what you're doing and are dressed properly you can be pretty comfortable and safe going out into what some would call nasty weather. I worked for four winters in what most people would call one of the most inhospitable spots on earth and really enjoyed it. The Mount Washington weather Observatory (NH) has some of the worst weather in the world (https://www.mountwas...conditions.aspx ) and winds over 100mph and temps of -30 degrees F are a common occurrence in the winter. I never was concerned going outside up there. As to caching, I'm over 70 and have to be a little more careful but still get out there.

Hooooooly cow! THAT is cold! Well I've learned I can be comfy at 38 degrees so I'll try to work my way down. Hahaha!

I think you do get used to it. Last week we had a couple of days in the low single digits (Fahrenheit) and it go down to -9 (-21F with wind chill) one night. Over the weekend it "warmed up" to the low 20s and we were walking around with a hat and gloves.

At the other extreme, there is a cache in Ethiopia that is located at what has been described as one of the most inhospitable places on earth. From the cache description:

"Getting to Erta Ale is not easy - just to reach the volcano is a test of endurance. The volcano is situated at the bottom of the Danakil Depression, generally considered to be one of the most inhospitable regions on earth, a valley floor 130 m below sea level. The climatic conditions are terrible, with record temperatures 56°C [about 132F] in the shade, but with no shade to be found there.

...the Erta Ale range remains one of the most inaccessible places on earth. There are no roads and temperatures are extremely high. The tribe living there, the Afar people, are proud and strong warriors, often hostile to foreigners."

Bubbles.. nice seeing you at the Winter Cache Bash. Next time you should walk the easier trail up top :ph34r:

What?! That was the pansy way out! :laughing: Jk. If I wasn't going to meet Aly, I definitely would've made you drive me around. :D

Pansy way out? You want to compare stats and adventures? :anitongue:

Edited by bflentje

Log Jan 15

Log Jan 17

Log Jan 20

Decided to do another new series today and another hike

Log Jan21

A cold sunny day was predicted so we planned to do this series today. However, appointments this morning had us running late so we did not get to the Sandhlll Side Trail parking until 2:15.

The cold weather and the recent rain has left the Dobson trail with hard packed snow which made the walking relatively easy, although we had to be careful at times to stay on the trail. A few of the streams were flowing again but we managed to use the log bridges to cross them safely. After 4.6 kms we got to the last of the caches at 3:45. Because the sun was getting low we decided to take a shortcut out by taking a logging road. The road was ice covered and a skating rink in many sections but we saved some distance and time. Total distance hiked today 8 kms. Found 7 caches all in great condition. No DNF's

In case you think we only do winter caching this time of year I should mention that in December we took a week to drive down to Florida, picking up caches as we drove, and then we spent a week in Florida grabbing caches. We then took a cruise picking up caches in the Carribean and then we drove back home picking up a few more. Total for the trip was more than 500 caches. We have 80 caches since getting home to New Brunswick.

We have a saying: "There's no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing", as some other posters have mentioned. If you know what you're doing and are dressed properly you can be pretty comfortable and safe going out into what some would call nasty weather. I worked for four winters in what most people would call one of the most inhospitable spots on earth and really enjoyed it. The Mount Washington weather Observatory (NH) has some of the worst weather in the world (https://www.mountwas...conditions.aspx ) and winds over 100mph and temps of -30 degrees F are a common occurrence in the winter. I never was concerned going outside up there. As to caching, I'm over 70 and have to be a little more careful but still get out there.

I think you do get used to it. Last week we had a couple of days in the low single digits (Fahrenheit) and it go down to -9 (-21F with wind chill) one night. Over the weekend it "warmed up" to the low 20s and we were walking around with a hat and gloves.

At the other extreme, there is a cache in Ethiopia that is located at what has been described as one of the most inhospitable places on earth. From the cache description:

"Getting to Erta Ale is not easy - just to reach the volcano is a test of endurance. The volcano is situated at the bottom of the Danakil Depression, generally considered to be one of the most inhospitable regions on earth, a valley floor 130 m below sea level. The climatic conditions are terrible, with record temperatures 56°C [about 132F] in the shade, but with no shade to be found there.

...the Erta Ale range remains one of the most inaccessible places on earth. There are no roads and temperatures are extremely high. The tribe living there, the Afar people, are proud and strong warriors, often hostile to foreigners."

Gah! I looked up that Erta Ale cache and holy molten lava, NYPC! That is IN.SANE. But way way cool! Looks like there have only been a few crazy souls that have made it and found it. I'm afraid I won't be one of them, but power to those who are! :D :D :D

Bubbles.. nice seeing you at the Winter Cache Bash. Next time you should walk the easier trail up top :ph34r:

What?! That was the pansy way out! :laughing: Jk. If I wasn't going to meet Aly, I definitely would've made you drive me around. :D

Pansy way out? You want to compare stats and adventures? :anitongue:

Aw, BFF - you know that I know that we know that you and I know that I'm the way better cacher. Bwahahahaha! Next time, gimme a lift! To the pub! In Shake-O-Pee!

Log Jan 15

Log Jan 17

Log Jan 20

Decided to do another new series today and another hike

Log Jan21

A cold sunny day was predicted so we planned to do this series today. However, appointments this morning had us running late so we did not get to the Sandhlll Side Trail parking until 2:15.

The cold weather and the recent rain has left the Dobson trail with hard packed snow which made the walking relatively easy, although we had to be careful at times to stay on the trail. A few of the streams were flowing again but we managed to use the log bridges to cross them safely. After 4.6 kms we got to the last of the caches at 3:45. Because the sun was getting low we decided to take a shortcut out by taking a logging road. The road was ice covered and a skating rink in many sections but we saved some distance and time. Total distance hiked today 8 kms. Found 7 caches all in great condition. No DNF's

In case you think we only do winter caching this time of year I should mention that in December we took a week to drive down to Florida, picking up caches as we drove, and then we spent a week in Florida grabbing caches. We then took a cruise picking up caches in the Carribean and then we drove back home picking up a few more. Total for the trip was more than 500 caches. We have 80 caches since getting home to New Brunswick.

Wow, that's quite the extremely different caching weather! I used to live in FL and caching right now is AWESOME there. Per-FECT!! You 2 sure get around. :lol: I'll check out your video when I get home. I'm at work right now. Shhhhh. :lol:

Gah! I looked up that Erta Ale cache and holy molten lava, NYPC! That is IN.SANE. But way way cool! Looks like there have only been a few crazy souls that have made it and found it. I'm afraid I won't be one of them, but power to those who are! :D :D :D

I was about 250 miles away from the Erta Ale cache in November but the town I was in (Bahir Dar) was actually quite pleasant. Unfortunately the nearest cache was 126 miles away. On the first leg of my flight home we passed over a volcanic crater in what I guessed to be the general vicinity of Erta Ale. That's some desolate country.