Replacing Travel Bugs

Baker's Achers

I have started 8 travel bugs and all are lost now. Some have been lost since the first person picked it up from the cache. Some disappeared after going around for a year. Seven have been inactive for 1-4 years. One just went inactive in March of 2014,after logging over 12k miles, so I am trying to track it down still. I have made attempts to contact cache owners, and cachers who logged that they picked the bug up but have never had response. My question is this: since I still have my copy of the tb code, can I buy a blank dogtag, engrave the code on it and start the tb again? I mean, after 4 years, it isn't going to show up. What do you think about this? I'm sure those who sell the tbs don't want anyone to do this, as I realize it "could" result in multiple travel bugs with the same id if someone were to do this too quickly. Or do I just do it and not say anything?

You're allowed to do that. It's not a problem. I wish Groundspeak made it easier for us to repurchase tags with the codes that we already own, but they don't. I don't know if they still do, but they used to sell the tags with an included copy tag that you could release if the first one was lost.

Also, I think you can reset the travel bug page and start over, if you wish.