Log own caches

Why would "easy to find but hard to get to" make any difference?

From the Help Center article Logging My Own Geocache:

Can I log a find on my own geocache? What about when I go back to visit?

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own geocache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit a geocache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

In either case, you're not "finding" a geocache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden geocache.

Just going to a cache location doesn't earn anyone a smiley, whether it's their cache or another's. This applies to hiding one as well as to taking a long, hard trek to a cache site but not finding the cache. Neither gets you a "found it". :)

Edited by TriciaG

Events are not caches. If you attend an event, log it as attended, even if you are also the person who submitted the event for publishing.

On actual geocaches, how can you log something as Found that you hid before submitting? As others have said, bad form (As stated in the Guidelines)

Events are not caches. If you attend an event, log it as attended, even if you are also the person who submitted the event for publishing.

On actual geocaches, how can you log something as Found that you hid before submitting? As others have said, bad form (As stated in the Guidelines)

Maybe you should see the guidelines... Cache types!

Ohh yes, Event Caches ARE caches!

Waymarkers visit their own waymarks, and that is well accepted but I never understood that either. I say to each their own, they are your geocaches log them if you want. I'm more about having fun and enjoying geocaching than following a bunch of made up rules imposed upon me by others telling me how I should enjoy geocaching. :anibad: I really think the whole concept is kinda silly anyway, but I still enjoy it. :anicute:

You can log your own caches but you shouldn´t... not ethical.

But many people log their own events, which is exactly the same for me, so... do whatever you feel is right to you!

Now you are geocaching's official ethicist?

In fact while common practice has been to not log 'Found It' on one's own caches, most will log and Attended on there own event.

It it true that over the years we have gotten more and more log types. When I started there were only "Found", "DNF", and note as options. You could disable or archive caches but this done by editing the cache page and not by posting a log. Cache owners often used "DNF" if they couldn't find it when they did maintainaced, and some used "Found" if they found a cache when they did maintenance. Others insisted that "note" was proper choice for cache owneres. There wan't an "Attended" log so events were logged with a "Found". The common practice was to log a "Found" when you attended an event, whether or not you were the host.

The Find Count is not a score. It is a number that is incremented for each "Found It", "Attended", or "Photo Taken" log you enter and for each Lab Cache you log. Some people want to view it a score and will argue against certain usage because that will effect their made-up score in ways the find unfair or unethical. I'm reminded of a book I read once.

No... not really! Are you a fan? You always seem to FIND and LOG the topics I post on...

The Find Count is not a score.

The word "FIND" means in the English dictionary "to discover"... Can you discover something you hide? Can you discover an event you booked? So, as I put it before... Do whatever feels right to you!

No... not really! Are you a fan? You always seem to FIND and LOG the topics I post on...

I think you tend to post on topics that interest me. I'm certainly not a fan of those people who start topics of righteous indignation over other people's logging practice. As Jeremy Irish has said

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

Yet people continue to get their knickers twisted and post in the forums all sorts of invented rules and ethics that aren't necessary for a simple fun activity. Over the years there have been many self appointed guardians of the "score". I suppose that I've made myself the self appointed debunker of these posts.

The Find Count is not a score.

The word "FIND" means in the English dictionary "to discover"... Can you discover something you hide? Can you discover an event you booked? So, as I put it before... Do whatever feels right to you!

The "You can't find what you hid" argument is likely the reason that most people don't log finds on their own caches. It is one reason why Attended logs were added, as many people would not log a find on a event. That included cachers other than the owner, who felt there was nothing to find at a an event.

I've been to events where the owner of the event was a no-show. Something came up at the last minute and either they asked someone else to stand in as the host, or the event went on without a host. Since an event owner can be absent from their own event they should be able to log Attended if they attended their event.

BTW I find my keys all the time. Just this past week I found my cell phone twice when I forget where I had left it. And nearly every time I do maintenance on one of my caches, I end up having to search a bit when I get to ground zero. Maybe the cache has migrated, but even if it is exactly where I left, I don't always remember where that was. So I don't give much credence to the "You can't find what you hid" argument.