why is "discover/post note" the only option?

c4wp

Why is my only option to discover/post note? I have never seen this happen before with a trackable.

The original one is in the owner's "Collection" (a way to remove Trackable items from cluttering one's Inventory list). The "Collection" feature is typically used when a nice Geocoin is to remain in the possession of the owner, possibly to be shown and "Discovered" at Events. As you see, the options for logging a Trackable item that is in a Collection are limited.

The item you found seems to be one of 55 copies, all with the same tracking number, specifically engraved with the text "Discover me at geocaching.com". In this case, "Discover" is probably better than "Retrieve/Drop" logs, since there are multiple copies. It's a Geocoin, not actually a "Travel Bug", but the logs would work the same way. You may make a Discover log, then place it into a cache. Or, if you understand what the owner intends (I'm not certain I do), you may do another thing instead.

Edited by kunarion

So.... if the coin is set as "collectible" your only options are "discover" or "post note"? Because I've never seen that as the only options before, but I've never seen a "collectible" in the wild before either.

Pretty much. It is greatly useful for people like me who have trackables in public view. I've got one on my backpack, and one on my car. Normally people could see them, and log it as grabbed, dropped off, visited, etc, even though they don't actually have it. Since no cachers are ever going to take my car, I can set it as collectible as the can only discover it.

Pretty much. It is greatly useful for people like me who have trackables in public view. I've got one on my backpack, and one on my car. Normally people could see them, and log it as grabbed, dropped off, visited, etc, even though they don't actually have it. Since no cachers are ever going to take my car, I can set it as collectible as the can only discover it.

Good Point. I have a vehicle TB and never knew what the 'collectible' part would do. It hasn't been discovered much, so I'm lucky nobody was stupid enough to put it in their inventory. I might go back and change that to collectible. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Edited by Lieblweb

So.... if the coin is set as "collectible" your only options are "discover" or "post note"? Because I've never seen that as the only options before, but I've never seen a "collectible" in the wild before either.

Yes... and no.

Marking it as "collectible" ALLOWS you to move it into your collection. It is the being held in your Collection (as opposed to Inventory) that blocks posts other than Discover and Note, not the fact that it is marked as "collectible".

Once in your Collection, you can change it back to "Not Collectible" status, but the limited logging still applies.

EDIT to add: Just so you know... simply marking a TB (or 'coin) as "collectible" will also allow another person to move it to their Collection. Should that happen, you cannot get it back with a Grab log. It has happened.

You really, really (really...) should use the "collectible" status and Collection placement in conjunction with one another. Unless of course, you don't care if somebody else takes and keeps your trackable.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

What if I have a geocoin, that is allways with me and is 'in my collection'. Can it travel with me from cache to cache or he can't get more distance traveled since I put it into collection...

Putting it into your Collection removes it from your Inventory. It will not/cannot garner any traveled distance while in your collection.

It MUST be in your Inventory to be to be "Placed" or "Visited" to a cache -- it is those coordinates (cache) that allow for tracking/mileage accumulation. Without those, there is no distance 'traveled'.

If the geocoin is ALWAYS with you, there is no need to have it stored in your collection... hence eliminating the distance problem. :)

Having it physically with you, it is in-hand and therefore, not in a collection.

[Guessing] the reason for having in collection is that it will not be moved, therefore there is no need for logs denoting it being "Placed into...", "Grabbed from..." or "Visit". As such, those log-types are not available.

While in your inventory, it can be logged as "Placed into...", "Grabbed from..." or "Visted".