New to Geocaching. Caches that demand a TB "trade". Is this ok?

marshill88

There is a cache a few miles away from me that calls itself a "Travel Bug Resort" and it is stuffed full of travel bugs...so much so that there is no room for any others. One of the rules on the cache says that you cannot take a TB without leaving one. I don't understand this logic. Isn't it true that the TB's belong to the original owners and not the cache owner? I want to obey all the rules of a cache owner, but I feel conflicted. On one hand I want to simply take a TB out of this cache and send it off, but I also don't want to disobey the cache owner.

So here is my question: does a cache owner have the right to overrule the wishes of the TB owner? Can I take a TB from a cache without "trading" even if the cache owner wants me to?

So here is my question: does a cache owner have the right to overrule the wishes of the TB owner?

- No.

Can I take a TB from a cache without "trading" even if the cache owner wants me to?

- Yes

Surprised a travel bug prison is still going. Someone should have reported it by now.

So here is my question: does a cache owner have the right to overrule the wishes of the TB owner?

- No.

Can I take a TB from a cache without "trading" even if the cache owner wants me to?

- Yes

Surprised a travel bug prison is still going. Someone should have reported it by now.

Thanks! That is what my gut said but I wanted to hear from others. Love the hobby!

You may have misread the request from the CO. It reads "Also, please leave at least one TB or geocoin in the cache for others to trade." It sounds like the CO just doesn't want it completely empty. Doesn't really demand a trade.

I agree.....it reads reasonable. I own a TB Hotel and don't care if someone takes them all. These days full size caches are rare and TB Hotels are even rarer and folks can get desperate for someplace to drop bugs in a sea of micro's so it won't be long before an empty hotel gets a guest.