Help Needed with GPS

PeanutsFans

I started geocaching with my 9 year old son after an aunt of mine got us into Letterboxing. He loves both activities. Someone recommended that we get him the Geomate Jr. unit for kids to get him started with geocaching. It is simply dreadful. I don't know if I am just technically challenged or if this little unit really is as awful as can be. I don't want anything fancy, nothing too expensive because boys are rough on stuff like this. However, this darn thing tells pretty much nothing--just points in the direction of the cache with an arrow and gives an approximate mileage. We have managed to find 3 caches, but ONLY because of the clues online and one pretty much accidentally.

I bought from LL Bean and I can exchange almost evenly for Etrex 10. I have read reviews of many, many units and everyone has their own preferences so I really haven't seen any one unit with more than 3.5 out of 5 stars. I just want something that will work to get us in the vicinity. Does anyone know if Etrex 10 will do this? I don't care about paperless, fancy this or that. With a kid, I figure getting the clues offline prior to heading out is a good idea anyway and since we were first letterboxers, we are sort of used to paper clues.

I appreciate any seasoned person's feedback. Thanks so much!!!

Edited by PeanutsFans

Ah, the Geomate Jr. It's better than having no GPS at all, but just barely. IIRC, the Geomate comes preloaded with geocaches and all you can do is download updates, which pretty much just give you a whole bunch of caches but not necessarily the ones you are interested in. Very little user-selected options.

If you are purchasing the GPS primarily for your son, then the Etrex 10 would be a far sight better than the Geomate....it's much better suited as a general purpose GPS and does paperless caching to boot.

If the device will primarily be yours with the boy using it also, you may want to consider the better features of the Etrex 20 or 30.

Don't pay too much attention to those "star-ratings" you see when reading reviews. Remember that those ratings are put there by folks that aren't used to using that particular device. It would be better for them to rate it long after they have used it/gotten to know it better... but they don't. Snap judgements aren't usually the best... just sayin'...

eTrex 10 is fine... but as long as you are enjoying yourself, you may want to think about upgrading, at least just a tad. I say so because if you stay with geocaching for any extended period of time, you will eventually upgrade anyway. Skip the in-between step and go for it now. I'll back-up with what Chief said... go with at least the eTrex 20.

The '10 has limited memory which can (not that it necessarily does) cause problems. Easily corrected -- once you learn how to do so. With expandable memory, the '20 doesn't have that problem... and, you can load much better mapping to it besides (you WILL want to).

You and yours are worth it... spend a wee bit more on yourself! I think you'll be happier in the long run.

I have an Etex 20 and love it. I updated from the predecessor to the Etrex 10. The 20 is able to hold more waypoints, show hints, and descriptions (minus the photographs). It's a solid unit and not outrageously expensive. While I'd hate to lose it on the trail, if it ended up swept down the creek I wouldn't cry too hard (I'd just be stuck with the old Venture HC). There was a learning curve, but at the end of the first day with the 20, I was in love.

I think what ever you go with be prepared for a bit of frustration to start with. We found learning to use the GPS a very steep learning curve but very worthwhile once we got the hang of it. Instruction manual is pretty useless but we took the unit in to the field and spent a few session randomly pushing buttons until we got the idea of how exactly it worked.

I would agree the Etrex20 is a better option than the 10, we had a 10 but very quickly upgraded to a 20. We found the lack of maps a real pain. We would be 20m away from the cache, only to realise it was the other side of some railway lines or a river. Kids were never happy when they realised a long detour was then required.