TOTT and tips

Jordan29

This may have been discussed before but I would like to share someneat TOTT. How many times have you been to a cache only to find you have to pen? I have 5 different ways I like to carry a pen so you will never be without a pen again.

#1 true utility telescoping pen that go is on your keyring.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002K9J26W?pc_redir=1401887671&robot_redir=1

#2 I created with a retractable I'D badge holder with a cut down pen attached.

#3 carry a space pen in my pocket.

#4 Always have a few pens in your vehicle.

#5 I am still looking for one but a pen that will fit in my wallet.

I really like #1 and #5 because you will most likely always have your wallet or your keys on you. This is more for the unexpected caching when you are not intending To go caching but notice there is one close.

I would like to hear if any of you have any neat TOTT or any tips or tricks.

Thanks

FWIW, for many years, since before I've been geocaching, I've had at least one pen with me when I've gone to weddings (or memorial services). The main difference now that I'm a geocachers is that my assortment of pens includes a Sharpie, a Fisher Space Pen, and a gel pen, in addition to standard ballpoint pens.

But when I go swimming (or boating), I often leave them with my other personal effects (e.g., locked in a vehicle, or sealed in a dry bag).

#5 I am still looking for one but a pen that will fit in my wallet.

Caching, I've kept a Space pen refill in my wallet for years.

- There are pens designed to be carried in a wallet, but the refill's smaller and cheap.

I've never thought about just carrying the refill. Since Space Pens are pressurized and hermetically sealed it should be able to be safely carried on a wallet. Good idea!

So your telling me you have a pen on you 24/7 when you go to weddings when you go swimming or never lost a pen or left it at a cache or left it in your vehicle going from cache to cache?

Yes, and no. I do carry a pen 90% of the time somehow. I honestly keep a pack of pens and permanent markers in my car. Yes I occasionally lose them-mostly from others "borrowing" them, which is why I keep several. Pens in the pants pocket. Pens in the console of my car. One in my jacket. a couple in my backpack, and the pack I mentioned earlier. And I can honestly say I've had one pen since December 2012.

And come to think of it, a pen in the wallet- I've seen a pen that's flat like a carpenters pencil. But I've only seen them once.

Edited by T.D.M.22

You might be able to find some hard to find compact pens at jetpens.com. I used to have a Zebra that extends the tip when you pull on the body to make it longer. I like that one because unlike the click pens, the writing tip won't come out accidentally when it is in my jeans pocket, but it is still possible to use it one handed.

I have a Space Pen but I don't generally bring it caching, because I lose my pen about once every couple of months. I carry my Pilot Mini G2 with me - nice pen, but cheap enough that I don't mind if I lose it.

Other non writing instrument related tips? Get some wet hand wipes. Always useful.