Downloading Caches

Micheley1101

You still show as a regular member. Try logging out then back in. If you're on a smartphone, close the app and then reopen it.

EDIT: I don't think you can download GPX files from a list. You have to use Pocket Queries to get them. http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx'>http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx

OP is a PM. (They need to log out of the forum, and then log back in)

Sounds like you are NOT running the PQ, you are just looking at the search page...

The PQ will be emailed, if there are 500 or less caches, and should be on the second tab "Pocket Queries to Download" as well as any PQ's with 501 or more caches, here > http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

ALSO.

Make sure to delete any/all loc and gpx files you added as a Basic Member...

A lot of GPS units will default to Basic Member instead of Premium Member, if they read a Basic file...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I've just upgraded to a Premium Member.

I've searched, say 'Brighton' for geocaches, checked the boxes and clicked on download waypoints, but it downloads as a .loc file. How o I download .gpx files please

Uhhhh.... does it download as .loc files OR does it load into the GPSr and show up as .loc files.

Two differing issues.

In that you "just upgraded", ANY and ALL files loaded to your GPSr before upgrading must be removed.

Not a re-boot, soft or hard reset..... just a deletion of all geocaching related files that had been loaded to the unit before you were Premium Member.

-----------

PM files (generally) are .gpx files, that do not play well with .loc files. If not removed, the .loc files play havoc with the .gpx files.

Until recently, I was able to click the send to my gps button and download GPX files to my Garmin Nuvi 1450. The GC and coordinates would load into Favorites and as treasure chest icons on the screen. They could also be found in the GPX folder by using Windows Explorer.

Now, when I click the send to my gps button the information is not shown on the GPS. The file still appears in the GPX folder.

Both the Geocaching website and Garmin have been updating stuff lately. Has anyone else had this problem and do you know how to work around it?

I am a member and I use Firefox, if that is relevant.

Thanks,

Rangercarol

Until recently, I was able to click the send to my gps button and download GPX files to my Garmin Nuvi 1450. The GC and coordinates would load into Favorites and as treasure chest icons on the screen. They could also be found in the GPX folder by using Windows Explorer.

Now, when I click the send to my gps button the information is not shown on the GPS. The file still appears in the GPX folder.

Both the Geocaching website and Garmin have been updating stuff lately. Has anyone else had this problem and do you know how to work around it?

Thanks,

Rangercarol

You cannot download .gpx files as a Regular Member. They are a PM benefit. You may well have a .gpx folder, but it wouldn't contain any .gpx files -- unless -- you had been a PM and allowed your membership to expire or somebody else had loaded them.

Regular Members can only download .loc files (I believe the geocache icon comes with the download).

You can use "Send to GPS", you cannot use "GPX file" buttons.

Thanks,

Rangercarol

You cannot download .gpx files as a Regular Member. They are a PM benefit. You may well have a .gpx folder, but it wouldn't contain any .gpx files -- unless -- you had been a PM and allowed your membership to expire or somebody else had loaded them.

Regular Members can only download .loc files (I believe the geocache icon comes with the download).

You can use "Send to GPS", you cannot use "GPX file" buttons.

Please read my note more thoroughly. It explains, as succinctly as I can what I experienced; I was doing what you say can't be done. In fact, I can still download gpx files to my Garmin 1450 by using the 'send to gps' button and look at them on Windows Explorer.

To be clear, the only information that appeared on the gps screen was the icon not information about the cache.