It's been a while

Avrohead

Well, it's been about 6 years since my wife (MaisOui) and I regularly cached. In fact I think all we have done since then was maintain our own cache. We've been talking lately and think it may be time to get back into it so I'm looking for some help to catch up on the technology improvements.

Our old system was to use GSAK for our pocket queries, our Garmin Colorado 300, and print outs of the cache pages.

Is GSAK still as popular as it once was? Are there better programs out there for handling pocket queries? How about paperless caching? Is that where smart phone apps come into play?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Avrohead

Well, it's been about 6 years since my wife (MaisOui) and I regularly cached. In fact I think all we have done since then was maintain our own cache. We've been talking lately and think it may be time to get back into it so I'm looking for some help to catch up on the technology improvements.

Our old system was to use GSAK for our pocket queries, our Garmin Colorado 300, and print outs of the cache pages.

Is GSAK still as popular as it once was? Are there better programs out there for handling pocket queries? How about paperless caching? Is that where smart phone apps come into play?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Avrohead

Gsak is as popular, if not more so, and I don't know of any better program for doing what it does!

There are lots of newer GPSRs that will do paperless, but I still use a Garmin GPSMap 60 CSX that isn't paperless. I load the data into my smart phone for the paperless part and don't print anything any more.

There are many smartphone apps and I've tried most of them. IMO the official app isn't very good for the price, at least on my Android. I have friends that have I-phones and they like it, but they are two different apps.

For my Samsung Galaxy S2 Android, the one I like the best is called GDAK (Geocaching Droid Army Knife) which is only for Android. It handles the data bases from GSAK and works like a charm! I especially like how it handles the field notes, or logging from the field. You can also refresh the data in the field, etc., which is handy. Most of the apps work more or less similar, but not all are intuitive, or easy to use!

You might have to try a couple before you find one that works the way you want, but you can certainly go paperless without buying a new GPSr if you want.

On the other hand, My wife has a new Garmin etrex 20 which is great! Fully paperless for under $200! (can't update data in the field, though).

Edited by BC & MsKitty

GSAK is as popular or more so and probably does much more now than it did 6 years ago (but I don't know...I wasn't caching 6 years ago).

Paperless? Smartphones and Geocacing Apps allow you to search for caches at your current location, navigate to them, and log them online immediately. If you're out of cell coverage - you can log the caches in the app and it'll save those logs in the app until you're within cell coverage to upload them to Groundspeak.

GPS's have Paperless features also. You log them as 'found' in the unit. When you get home, plug the GPS to the computer and upload 'field notes'.

Garmin Car GPS's (like the NUVI) allow you to upload geocaches into those units also via GSAK and/or POI Loader. Treasure chests will show up on the screen of your Nuvi as you're driving along. It's pretty slick....but can be a headache to load (many different ways of doing it). It allows you to pick a geocache, hit GO...and it'll take you on route to the cache (within parking distance).

Welcome back. I've used many applications and devices but for years now have used GSAK and love it. I put my PQ's into GSAK and manipulate them any way I want and then GSAK sends them to my Nuvi's and Handheld's. I remember phone book size stack's of print outs but those days are long gone....paperless is the way to go. I have many models of GPS but I recommend the 62S...these can be had for around $200 ( I have 3 ).