Best app/tool for android?

Methras

I have been browsing the forums and only found some old posts about this, so why not make a new one. If there is a new one, I appologize up front.

What is your favourite geocaching app for your android phone? I have, of course, the official one installed, but sometimes third party developers get genious ideas and makes something even better!

I've been happy with Neongeo. The feature that sold me when I first started using it was that it can use corrected coordinates in the Personal Cache Note to adjust the location of solved puzzle caches. (It came out before Groundspeak introduced editable coordinates for puzzle caches.)

I've been happy with Neongeo. The feature that sold me when I first started using it was that it can use corrected coordinates in the Personal Cache Note to adjust the location of solved puzzle caches. (It came out before Groundspeak introduced editable coordinates for puzzle caches.)

So you would say that it is better/easier to use than the official app?

So you would say that it is better/easier to use than the official app?
It is definitely easier to use than the versions of Groundspeak's Geocaching app that I beta tested, but I haven't used Groundspeak's Geocaching app recently.

I'm partial to Locus map pro. They actively update it.

Is there any specific feature that makes you prefer this app?

I've tried most of the other apps and finally settled on Locus Map Pro. I don't pretend to be an expert on all the apps and what they can do, but I just preferred Locus pro. For starters, it has way more features than the official geocaching.com app. Overall, I just like the way everything looks and works. I like that you can have maps and geoocaches saved offline, but can connect to a live map if you want. It lets you record your track. I like the format it uses to display cache info. I use proximity circles for placing caches and projections for doing caches. There are a whole bunch of other geocaching tools. I like that you can save different caches in different databases. I like that the screen will rotate so the cache is up. Some other apps don't allow you to do this and I find it incredibly frustrating. I like that it lets you load the map as a single vector file, rather than having to spend forever downloading map tiles. It lets you connect to geocaching.com to upload your field notes. I like that the developer is active. If you want something super simple, maybe it's not the app for you. If you like lots of features and have the patience to learn how to use them, I can recommend it.

If you want to read other reviews, there's lots here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I only use my android for data concerns .... (paperless) because I have a perfectly good GPSr that doesn't do paperless.

I've never had much success with using various apps for finding caches, so I just use the phone for description, past logs, etc.

Having said that, the best one for me is called GDAK (Geocaching Droid Army Knife) It will accept full GSAK data bases which are then accessible in the field without a connection if you wish. It has a real quick map interface and plots all the caches in the DB you are in really quickly. Easy to use, and I have all of my GSAK data bases at my finger tips. You can update the cache data in the field as well.

I particularly like the field note/log in the field interface. You can use it to search for caches, but I just find my trusty old Garmin to be so much better that I use the app as a PDA.

I use the popular unsupported free android app that starts with the letter C. I load it up with pocket queries and offline maps as to not burden the server in any way except perhaps to log a find. Also saves data usage. Getting my mother into it next weekend (bought her a moto G and loaded it up with everything needed)

Edited by sholomar