New Feature: Deactivation of "Visited"-Logs on Trackables

Tschakko

Hello,

I would find it very useful to have the option as a Coin- or TB-owner to deactivate the possibility of the "visited" or "taken too"-logs.

The listing of the travellers get spammed by those. Sometimes I have to click through pages of this logtype each log just moving the trackable a few feet and no more...

As I do understand the need of this logtype for mileage-counter-coins, I would highly appreciate the option to deactivate it for my normal travelling items.

What do you think?

Since the logs are useful, for mileage, why not have the option the hide the logs? It still gets mileage, but we can choose not to look at it.

Because I do not want my trackables to 'visit' caches? The trackable pages says: Do not visit to caches. Yet it has 53 logs since last August for visits to caches!

It should be an option for me to eliminate/turn off visits on my Trackables.

The logs are not useful, to me. Useless clutter. Eventually, I will delete them all. If he ever puts it IN a cache. He's only had it for nine months! 'Visiting' seems to get cachers to hold on to trackables a lot longer. And that's bad.

The trackable pages says: Do not visit to caches.

This is pretty useless. Many cachers just automatically "visit" all the trackables in their inventory all the caches they find. Turning off the possibility of logging "visits" could possibly cause system inconsistencies. A possibility to not display that type of logs if the owner wishes it would be better if it is necessary at all.

And judging from the experience of myself and the people I know it is not true that the cachers who log trackable visits are the ones who keep them longer. Actually it it is all the opposite way. They are - in their majority - those who care about the proper trackables movement best.

Isn't this pretty much what moving it to your Trackables Collection does?

It means a trackable can't be grabbed or visit caches, but there's nothing to stop you still physically sending it out (or anything else) so that people can make "Discover" logs?

This is not what I meant. I want my trackables to collect milage too, but only with relevant logs. This means I want to know, where it actually is. And if it is with a cacher then it is with him and not visiting a cache. If he drops it off and leaves it, then it is in the cache. This is the original purpose of those TBs and Coins. The option to visit caches was implemented to count your own milage on your own coins!

I for instand do not want to know the PowerTrail a cacher made whilst holding on to my trackable, therefore I would like him to not drag it with a log to each cache on his way, but I do want to know when he actually physically leaves it in a geocache.

In my opinion it would be the easiest way to just give the owners of the trackables the option to say that this type of visited log is not possible with his trackables and geocoins. Just like the option to make it collectible or not.

it would probably not stop someone who is determined

they could just do a "drop" and then a "retrieve"

in fact, this was the "old" way to do a "visit"

(there was no such thing as "visit" in the early years of trackables)

it is my understanding that one of the reasons that Groundspeak gave for implementing the "visit" feature was to reduce the number of logs on trackable items

forbidding a "visit" in order to reduce "clutter" might very well have the opposite effect

I can see where it could result in twice the logs that otherwise might have happened

- - - -

and Groundspeak may be reluctant to undo what they went to some effort to implement

one of the things that makes "visit" logs so prevalent is that a logger can simply click a box on the screen where a geocache log is made, and have every trackable item that is in their inventory do a "visit" to the geocache that they are logging

Edited by Bhob

Unless this 'suggestion' has been posted in the 'Feature Discussions' forum section, no one from Groundspeak is likely to address this issue.

There has been an ongoing thread in that section for 2-1/2 years now about getting a change in how trackables are handled when missing from a cache Ghost trackables. Nothing has been done to give any consideration to the change except that GS really doesn't want to spend any valuable resources on fixing the situation. Sadly, it's unlikely anything will happen with THAT suggestion, even after 8 pages of discussion.

Yes, strings of visitations through hundreds of caches on power trails is unnecessary, but the use of visitations 'correctly' does help the correct logging of miles travelled. Those of us who follow trackables and geocoins regularly understand the proper use of options. But heck, some of these new unverified smartphone app cachers can't even make cache logs correctly and are more prone to ignore any trackable logging ... if they even knew how to do it ... <_< The ones who visit 'everything' are at least making attempts to follow misunderstood procedures.

Unless this 'suggestion' has been posted in the 'Feature Discussions' forum section, no one from Groundspeak is likely to address this issue.

Thx a lot for the info. Does not sound too promising.

But I do think the Discussion is placed better here, as here are the people that are interested in Trackables. It´s less likely to get enough feedback of different people on the other thread I would think.

I just deleted about 500 logs of this spam on two of my trackables. As it seems the ones that produce the logs get an email for each deletion. I already have been asked why I send them that much spam... well, who spammed whom first?? ;)

I do not give up hope, that sometime something will happen in the headquarters and the y will adress the issue...

Thx a lot for the info. Does not sound too promising.

But I do think the Discussion is placed better here, as here are the people that are interested in Trackables. It´s less likely to get enough feedback of different people on the other thread I would think.

I just deleted about 500 logs of this spam on two of my trackables. As it seems the ones that produce the logs get an email for each deletion. I already have been asked why I send them that much spam... well, who spammed whom first?? ;)

I do not give up hope, that sometime something will happen in the headquarters and the y will adress the issue...

No doubt there can be 'discussion' here but unless it is placed in the appropriate category, nothing will even be considered.

The section Groundspeak reserves for this is the "Bug Reports and Features Discussions", the correct sub-category being: Website - Discussions about features, bugs, and ways to improve Geocaching.com.

By leaving it here, most of the mod activity is for content and format for the geocoin forum. The 'Discussions about features' is the place monitored by those who can place it in a cue for consideration. I doubt that would occur by posting comments and discussion here. But feel free to post wherever you feel it has a chance. ... B)

Hello,

I would find it very useful to have the option as a Coin- or TB-owner to deactivate the possibility of the "visited" or "taken too"-logs.

The listing of the travellers get spammed by those. Sometimes I have to click through pages of this logtype each log just moving the trackable a few feet and no more...

As I do understand the need of this logtype for mileage-counter-coins, I would highly appreciate the option to deactivate it for my normal travelling items.

What do you think?

I agree! That feature would be nice.