Isn't Iowa Midwestern?

GeoTharn

I'm new here and I certainly could be way off base, but what criteria put Iowa in the Great Plains forum? I could have sworn we were Midwestern. Don't get me wrong, I understand we aren't trying to be part of a private club, but with Minnesota directly north and Missouri directly south, geographically it doesn't make sense to me. We certainly aren't any further west. I'm in this forum to watch for events for my neighboring states and the other for Iowa events. Just wondering, Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by GeoTharn:

I'm new here and I certainly could be way off base, but what criteria put Iowa in the Great Plains forum? I could have sworn we were Midwestern.

Thats been brought up before, and I don't recall any reasoning about it, just mostly came to "thats how it is".

I guess a map:2_prairieregion.jpg like this one off Great Plains Geocaching show Iowa as being mostly plains.

BTW- If an jpeg is hosted on the web somewhere, just use the

tags, or the button at the top of the post a reply window.

quote:
I'm in this forum to watch for events for my neighboring states and the other for Iowa events. Just wondering, Thanks

I don't think it matters which forum Iowa is in. You would still have to watch more than one regional forum. (Unless, you could get Iowa, and all bordering states into the same forum, right?)

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Yes Iowa is prairie land, but in terms of location, it seemed odd that Iowa was 'pulled out' Just not what I would have done, but no one called me and asked!

I understand there is no perfect solution, just curious.

[This message was edited by GeoTharn on May 17, 2003 at 09:11 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by GeoTharn:

Yes Iowa is prairie land, but in terms of location, it seemed odd that Iowa was 'pulled out' Just not what I would have done, but no one called me and asked!

I understand there is no perfect solution, just curious.

[This message was edited by GeoTharn on May 17, 2003 at 09:11 AM.]

Personally I probly would have dropped Ohio into the NE, and IA in the Midwest.

Another reason that may have been used (Im just guessing!) is to keep the regions 'even'. The midwest already has 7, adding IA would bring that to 8 and drop the Great plains to 5.

Just trying to give some plausable answers, offical response from Jeremy/TPTB welcome!

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by EricUnix:

Illinois is only a planes state now becuse about 100 years ago they drained all the bogs!

No, Boeing moving it's HQ to Chicago made it a PLANES state... icon_smile.gif

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Well, we already have two I states. And there's already a state that's 75% vowels, so Iowa would be redundant in that department. The rest are Ms, except WI, which starts with an upside-down M, so Iowa wouldn't fit with them.

Work on that spelling, then get back to us. Might I suggest changing to South Minnesota? Then we'd have to let you in by association (West Illinois and North Missouri wouldn't work. They would result in postal abbreviation conflicts with New Mexico and Wisconsin).

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams