DOT - ROW Permission?

graphicsgirl19

Hello,

I have cached since I was young with my dad and this last year I finally created my own account. I am up to 72 caches on my own and feeling good about finally placing my own.

The location I have chosen is on Hwy 107 North of Merrill, Wisconsin. It is a turn out on the Posey Rapids on the Wiscosin River. It is for public access as many canoers use it to put in after the grandfather falls region that is up the road a few miles. After making a few phone calls and a frustrating afternoon, I have been told that this area of land (being so close the river as well as the road) is in the DOT's Right of Way. Now the problem I am facing is who do I contact for permission to place a cache? I have tried looking up a DOT Maintenance Office for the area but I have had no luck in finding any. I called the DMV but the guy who answered couldn't even understand what I was asking. So now I come to my fellow Geocachers. Do I even need permission? If so, who do I go to????????

Please help me!!

Looks like one of the area's reviewers is Wis Kid

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=f890e346-10a7-49b4-a4f8-cd16e0c9eb48

You can email him through from his profile and ask this question.

In Florida, the state's DOT won't give permission for geocaches; they think that granting permission creates liability. They do tolerate caches in road right of ways, much as they tolerate many non-transporation uses the public makes of them.

What about guard rail caches? I've found plenty of those and they're right on the DOT's highway. I'd find a location that you think would be a good spot (and of course a safe spot) and let the reviewer decide whether to publish it or not.

When you submit a cache to be published, you check a box saying you have permission to place the cache there, even if you really don't. Unless the specific DOT office for that area had contacted Groundspeak and said "We don't want any caches on our property" the reviewer will not know you don't have permission(Since, after all you said you did)

I'm not saying that every cache has permission, nor am I saying they don't. I'm saying it's up to the hider-not the reviewer to see if it's allowed or not. By saying just don't ask, can show geocaching in a bad way in the eyes of the DOT, which may ban all existing and future caches.

...you check a box saying you have permission to place the cache there, even if you really don't.

This type of statement confuses me. Either you have permission or you don't. Either a land owner or manager or whatever agency has granted permission or it hasn't.

If a land owner or manager or agency says unofficially we would "tolerate" geocaches, but we can't officially give explicit permission, then personally I wouldn't hide one there. But that's just me. I would want explicit permission.

I think a lot of geocachers feel this is all right, though.

Hello,

I have cached since I was young with my dad and this last year I finally created my own account. I am up to 72 caches on my own and feeling good about finally placing my own.

The location I have chosen is on Hwy 107 North of Merrill, Wisconsin. It is a turn out on the Posey Rapids on the Wiscosin River. It is for public access as many canoers use it to put in after the grandfather falls region that is up the road a few miles. After making a few phone calls and a frustrating afternoon, I have been told that this area of land (being so close the river as well as the road) is in the DOT's Right of Way. Now the problem I am facing is who do I contact for permission to place a cache? I have tried looking up a DOT Maintenance Office for the area but I have had no luck in finding any. I called the DMV but the guy who answered couldn't even understand what I was asking. So now I come to my fellow Geocachers. Do I even need permission? If so, who do I go to????????

Please help me!!

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/

...you check a box saying you have permission to place the cache there, even if you really don't.

This type of statement confuses me. Either you have permission or you don't. Either a land owner or manager or whatever agency has granted permission or it hasn't.

If a land owner or manager or agency says unofficially we would "tolerate" geocaches, but we can't officially give explicit permission, then personally I wouldn't hide one there. But that's just me. I would want explicit permission.

I think a lot of geocachers feel this is all right, though.

I'm saying every cache has to have permission you have to check that box for it to go to the reviewer. He king that box doesn't mean you actually have permission. People lie all the time. It's kinda like saying you read the terms and conditions of, well anything really. You really didnt read them, and you really didnt ask permission to place that cache in the tree on the side of the road.

Hello,

Please help me!!

If it is being used as canoe put-in area, it should be fine. Reviewers assume all areas are okay, unless there is a specific rule against them. They may refer to maps which show areas that are prohibited, or places that require a permit. The DOTs ROW is not necessarily a good idea if it is on a curve, has no parking, or dangerous in any other way. A reviewer may publish such a cache anyhow, as they do not review for safety, but any incidents arising from it would trigger a domino effect of restriction of other caches in similar spots. In your case, it sounds like there is adequate parking, as well as nothing prohibiting it. That should be all you need.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool