[FEATURE] Show cache owner name in cache notifications

OconeeBell

It would be helpful to add the CO name to the info emailed to Premium members when a new GC is published.

Thx...OB

It's a notification. It does a great job of notifying you.

You want to know who placed the cache. That it, surprisingly enough, available on the cache page. All you have to do is click on 1 link.

It would be helpful to add the CO name to the info emailed to Premium members when a new GC is published.

Thx...OB

Why?

I understand the importance of reading the cache page, but to answer your question, we have a guy around her that will hide 20 lame parking lot micros in one outing. I come home from work and see 20 new caches in my notifications. I have to open each page just to see that I am not interested. If this guys name was in the notification, I could simply delete the email and get on to more important things.

The thing is, a notification is simply a copy of a posted log. For new caches, it's a copy of of the reviewer's published log. Adding other information such as the CO would probably need a major overall of how the notification system works and I honestly don't think that Groundspeak will lay out the resources to do this, especially since the current system does exactly what it was designed to do.

I too would find this feature useful. There are some talented cachemakers in my area that place some of the most amazing and creative hides. If I received a notification on my phone that one of their caches was published I would probably head out immediately to get it. Having their name in the email would mean I could see it "in the field" on my phone rather than having to click the link to the website. My phone is "smart" but has severe issues loading this site on it in the wild. It would also be a helpful feature for those cachers who don't use the geocaching app on their phone but do receive email notifications.

I too would find this feature useful. There are some talented cachemakers in my area that place some of the most amazing and creative hides. If I received a notification on my phone that one of their caches was published I would probably head out immediately to get it. Having their name in the email would mean I could see it "in the field" on my phone rather than having to click the link to the website. My phone is "smart" but has severe issues loading this site on it in the wild. It would also be a helpful feature for those cachers who don't use the geocaching app on their phone but do receive email notifications.

So in other words you want to see the stuff that's on the cache page? See post #3 for my opinion.

So in other words you want to see the stuff that's on the cache page? See post #3 for my opinion.

Soooo...it's not hard to open the cache page. That's not an argument AGAINST it. Is there any argument AGAINST having this feature? I mean, would you complain if they started doing it?

... My phone is "smart" but has severe issues loading this site on it in the wild.

I guess looking at the stuff on the cache page is not so easy for them, so having the CO name in the notification is gonna be useful.

In a perfect world, the notification setup interface would allow you to construct a custom notification where there would be checkboxes to allow you to select which pieces of information you'd like to see in the subject line and body of the notification email.

This perfect-world system would also allow checkboxes for multiple cache types to be selected to reduce the number of notifications to be set up.

It would also have an interactive map interface to allow polygons to be drawn on it, for notification areas.

I too would like to see the cache owner's name in a publish log. But...

To clarify what someone else said - the notification is a generic notification. A notification of a new cache is EXACTLY the same template used to notify about a found it log. Thus the reviewer's name is there because that was the person that placed the log.

There are two main options here. Either:

1. Add the cache owner to the template. This means every time you receive a found it log, you will be told what cache it was found on, and that you are the owner. You already know that, I suspect that this will raise change requests to remove the cache owner name!

2. Get rid of the generic log template, and allow for different templates per log type - a publish log uses this template, a found it uses that one, a DNF uses this other one. This is my preferred option, but will require a little work from Groundspeak. They would have to make 20 copies of the existing template, rename them for each log type, then put in a bit of code that appends the log type so that the notification system can find the right template.

I too would like to see the cache owner's name in a publish log. But...

To clarify what someone else said - the notification is a generic notification. A notification of a new cache is EXACTLY the same template used to notify about a found it log. Thus the reviewer's name is there because that was the person that placed the log.

There are two main options here. Either:

1. Add the cache owner to the template. This means every time you receive a found it log, you will be told what cache it was found on, and that you are the owner. You already know that, I suspect that this will raise change requests to remove the cache owner name!

2. Get rid of the generic log template, and allow for different templates per log type - a publish log uses this template, a found it uses that one, a DNF uses this other one. This is my preferred option, but will require a little work from Groundspeak. They would have to make 20 copies of the existing template, rename them for each log type, then put in a bit of code that appends the log type so that the notification system can find the right template.

I don't see how changing the standard template would be a big deal. They already have the location in there.

In fact, I just now got a notification and right there it says "Location: Georgia, United States"...so why not put "Owner: <cache owner>" right below that? Boom, problem solved and we can all be happy since nothing major has really changed.

GaxqHAW.png

Edited by J Grouchy

Soooo...it's not hard to open the cache page. That's not an argument AGAINST it. Is there any argument AGAINST having this feature? I mean, would you complain if they started doing it?

When "notifications" were first introduced, it was stressed that they were not an excuse to not read the cache page. I believe that reading the cache page is important, but I also think that the entire nature of caching has changed since then. Within the last week, a not so local teen had over 20 caches published that I have no intention of ever finding, however, since I have no way of knowing who the cache owner was of these new listings, I pretty much had to open each listing.

What would be nice is if I could ignore a user, and it extended to the notifications as well.

Edited by Don_J