GPS Device or Smartphone

bodie37

Hi

I've only just started geocaching and I've been using my HTC Windows 8s smartphone and the Groundspeak Geocaching Live App. It seems to do the job apart from the phone does not support a hardware compass and I cannot find where you can enter co-ords manually. I've also come way over my data allowance.

I've been looking a GPS devices and the ones that seem of interest (ie price) are:

Garmin Etrex 20

Garmin Dakota 20

Navman Magellen Explorist 110

Navman Magellen Explorist GC

Are these devices any good and which one out of the 4 is the best to go for? We do geocaching as a family and I get nervous when my 8 and 10 year old want my phone. I do also use an old HTC Wildfire S with G:geo on it but the GPS seems way out on this old phone and the battery life is rubbish.

Is it worth spending the extra £'s for a GPS device?

Thanks for any advice.

A Garmin is definitely the better choice.

I personally own the eTrex 20 and love it.

From what I've heard (which isn't much) the Dakota 20 is basically the eTrex with a touch screen. (I could be wrong though.) Basically, the choice would be based on whether you'd want buttons, or a touchscreen

. Outdoorgearlab.com has a great review on GPS devices, and covers both of these, along with 7 other GPS units.