Oregon battery drain solved

terratin

A while ago I was whining about the batteries in my oregon 450 draining far too quickly. I solved the problem now: get rid of all open streetmaps. Not sure why, but they do drain the batteries much faster than the old Gamin Euopean map that I have.

I noticed this quick drain before on the Faroe Islands, which are outside the European map, and now again on Malta. One small day of caching, with fresh eneloops and all energy saving options on were sufficient to drain them. When the open streetmap of Malta crashed and would not display anymore I found the old Europe map, activated it and suddenly had three days of energy instead of one. Amazing!

Of course this won't help me everywhere, and new Garmin maps are expensive. But at least I now know what the reason is.

Mrs. Terratin

I've experienced this with several OSM maps. I travel a lot, and quite often also outside the european garmin map range. I noticed the battery drain every time with OSM with only the relevant map activated. In the end I was running OSM for my home location because the garmin map got a bit old. One thing: on the garmin map I always use 'less detail' and on OSM 'more' because small roads don't show up on my customary zoom level, but that should also not drain the batteries much faster, should it?

Else have a look at

gpsfiledepot.com

But OSM maps are most of the time very nice and if something is missing you can put it in yourself.

Garmin is actually selling some units included with OSM maps and many other vedors, including some Android apps work only with OSM maps.

Edited by splashy