Oregon 600 + iphone

Beach_hut

Hi all,

Just acquired a second-hand Oregon 600 (loving it so far!) one of the things that drew me to it was the ability to share wirelessly with other devices and with smartphone etc.

So far, all I've managed to work out how to do is to upload data into the cloud from a desktop PC, then download it into the GPS in the field. But to be honest, I'd have done that using GSAK anyway.

Have I missed something? I'm looking for a method to download data to the iphone, and transfer it to the GPS in the field?

And a sub-question if I may - what cases do you recommend? Our previous GPS had a silicone case which was ideal as it protected it when in use.

I have a small device (Airstash) that allows me to transfer files from the iphone to the sd card of my Oregon in the field or wherever I am. It sets up a wifi link. I insert the sd card from the gpsr and transfer a gpx file over to it from the phone. The size of the device makes it easy to carry - and there are several other brands that are similar to it.

I use my iphone caching app (Geosphere) as a mini GSAK to combine pocket queries or geocaching live searches, filter them, and export the resulting gpx files. So this meets my needs and only takes two or three minutes to create a gpx file, transfer it, and put the sd card back. It is easy enough so I usually use this method instead of a computer.

There are also portable wifi routers that allow you to plug the unit in and transfer files to it. Some people use the RAV Power 5 in One device for this - which reads sd cards and supports USB transfers. It will also charge your phone. For me, the smaller size of the Airstash card reader makes it a little handier if I want to slip if into a daypack or put it in my pocket.

Edited by geodarts

According to this https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-trail-maps/on-the-trail-apps/garmin-basecamp-mobile/prod126765.html , you just may be able to... but you need that app. Looks like it is only available for the iPhone.

Base camp mobile is very limited for my purposes because it does not support gpx files. It transfers various things from the cloud, but I ended up deleting it because the only thing I wanted it to do was to allow you to open a gpx file on the phone and transfer it to the unit. Maybe if enough of us keep requesting it from Garmin they will add support for gpx files through Apple's "open in" function. Then it would be very handy.

In answer to the OP's subquestion, there are several cases for the Oregon. I put a screen protector on mine and just got a gizzmovest to use when hiking. It is bulky, but I strap it onto my day pack or belt so it is easy to carry. Between the case and the strap, the unit is very protected and is still easy to use.

The company sells it on Anazon or eBay (the latter was cheaper). It worked out better than I had anticipated - but whether the look and feel is right for you is another matter.

Edited by geodarts