Romantic Picnic + cache

I had this thought (with Valentine's Day coming up) that it would be cool to have folks suggest caches (from around the country) that would make for a great little spot to take a special someone for a classic style basket picnic while grabbing a geocache.

I figure there has to be some neat caches out in fields, mountain ranges, parks, farms, etc. where after (or before) grabbing a cache, two people could enjoy a bit of cheese, wine, food, etc. with a little bit of privacy and relaxation.

Be sure to include the GC code of the suggested cache.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

"A Cedar River Picnic" GC3508. There used to be a picnic table in this secluded spot. No idea how it ever got down in here, and I'm don't know if it still is there. (I didn't see it when I found the cache, but I really wasn't looking for the table, just the cache.)

lots of great caches along this rails to trails route. Nice secluded side trip into the cache and "picnic" area.

we're in the middle of another artic polar blast with more 8-12" accumulation in NW Ohio & SE Michigan, so a nice,icy-comfy snow picnic would be so "Dr. Zhivago" romantic...

with that in mind, try GC34E...Power Lady while wearing your best below-zero outer and under wear... :wub:

Valentine's Day was just the reason I thought of it. I certainly don't expect a romantic picnic in the northern states this month. It would be for the spring and summer months (unless you live down here in Florida like me).

Winter is more "cabin" time for the romanticism. There, pretty much just look for caches recommended in/near parks.

But all suggestions welcome.

But only from the US (=this country in your post) if I understood you correctly, right?

The OP's comment of "(from around the country)" and being from Flordia, USA, would suggest that it was meant to highlight the topic here in the United States. cezanne, I can understand why you ask your question. I would think that the OP would consider to broaden the area and include the rest of the world, as I am sure there are others around the world whom would like to see suggestions from their area if they celebrate Valentines Day or just want a location for that random time they want to be romantic with their other half.

But only from the US (=this country in your post) if I understood you correctly, right?

Why not go global?

My special someone (Susancycle) and I have picnicked at a number of interesting locations around the planet that also happened to have geocaches quite nearby. Usually we are breaking for lunch while bicycle touring. An excellent example:

GCG9BR

brings you high above the Pont du Gard where after findiing the cache a very short walk takes you to a great overlook of the aqueduct.

You can picnic there or, as we did, you can come back down and dine on the riverbank in the shadow of one of the great Roman artifacts.

18c40d08-314e-46ab-a519-a709429a8b3e.jpg

(I plucked the picture out of the cache image gallery, I don't have access to my photos right now.)

How about skinny-dipping under a waterfall in tropical Mexico, conveniently close to remnants of a cache (with way-off coords so you can spend extra quality time there).

Or more on the tourist trail, how about sipping piña coladas on the beach, and signing the logbook from the ammo can which the beach-bar manager has eagerly brought to you?

Just a couple of international ideas off the top of my head...

Because the message gets diluted by a lot of places not relevant to 99% of this board. If you want to do another thread for other countries...by all means, feel free to start one. But yes, this thread should focus on USA.

I guessed that you want to focus on the USA and that's why I did not come up with my suggestions.

Next time it might make sense to add (USA) in your title. I respect that you want to focus on the USA, but please keep in mind that there are more than 1% readers from outside of the USA.

This is the worldwide part of the forum.

Cezanne

How about a bench under a tree with a waterfall and a steam railway nearby? With a splendid view and a pleasant, but not too strenuous, walk?

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC36TYP_n-gauge

Looks nice there. You just overlooked that "the country" in the OP means the USA.

The OP may have meant the USA, when he said "the country", but this is an international forum and, as far as I know any member can post on it. If some "darned foreigner" wants to post here, I say go for it. :P :P :P

How about a bench under a tree with a waterfall and a steam railway nearby? With a splendid view and a pleasant, but not too strenuous, walk?

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC36TYP_n-gauge

Looks nice there. You just overlooked that "the country" in the OP means the USA.

Really ;-)

It is lovely - not as dramatic as the sort of place you have I imagine, but lovely in a different way. It's the sort of place that you'd think about proposing. If I was especially romantic I might even travel to the other side of the world for that sort of place.