setting up a geocach

pvtplt172

I ordered a few geocaches to hide. This will be my first ever hide. Once i think it is set up would it be ok if i had a friend do a test run on the geocach. He will have no clue were it is and will have no help from me. I would not let him log it as a ftf because its just a test is this ok to do to make sure the cach is up and running properly and make sure the longitude and latitude are correct ?

I ordered a few geocaches to hide. This will be my first ever hide. Once i think it is set up would it be ok if i had a friend do a test run on the geocach. He will have no clue were it is and will have no help from me. I would not let him log it as a ftf because its just a test is this ok to do to make sure the cach is up and running properly and make sure the longitude and latitude are correct ?

Sure, that is perfectly fine. Glad to hear you are being conscientious about your first hide. So many seemingly aren't these days.

Good luck!

(PS - it is spelled "cache")

You really can't tell. If I hide a cache at said location and get said co-ords, then take another GPSr to that location, it may say the cache is 150 feet away, when it is only 1 foot away. You will know the co-ords are off on at least one GPS. How will you know which GPS is wrong? Or if they are both wrong?

If you really want to make the co-ords good, take a reading, go away, and take another reading. At least three readings, and even multiple GPS units. Then average the co-ords. Also plug the co-ords into Google, and check the map when you make the cache page. It might not be exact(the map is not a perfect overlay, so there will be some mistakes)

It is fine and sometimes a common practice. I think it is called something like a beta tester. They don't log the FTF as you said and can log it later. What we used to do with our first hides is I took my phone and my daughters phone and my cars gps and got coords from them all and then averaged them. It is also a good idea as said before to check google earth just to make sure you are close to the right area. Usually if for some reason the coords are off someone will post better ones after a few finds.