Re-use Tracking Code from missing Geocoin?

Bio_Photona

Hello everybody,

my geocoin got lost about a year ago. It travelled from the starting point to another cache and then it disappeared. Bad luck :(

Well, today I accidently stumbled over a picture of the geocoin where you can see the tracking number and then I had this idea: how about re-using the tracking number. I could for example create a new geocoin out of metall (or another material) and carve the tracking number into the new coin. People finding it in a cache could then track the coin and the journey would go on.

I know that when the original coin appears again, there is a problem. In that case I would write to the person finding it, that he/she can keep it and the imitation would stay in the race. On the other hand, how often does it happen that a lost coin or tb shows up again?

Have you ever lost coins or tbs and tried to re-use their tracking code at another item? Is this even allowed?

I am not sure if my idea is a good idea and therefore would love to hear your opinion about it.

Have you ever lost coins or tbs and tried to re-use their tracking code at another item? Is this even allowed?

I am not sure if my idea is a good idea and therefore would love to hear your opinion about it.

You can use the Tracking Number again. I revive all of my dead Trackables, although I don't place them back into caches to travel. There are various creative ways to use Tracking Numbers, and some of mine are designed to be carried or worn by me, to be discovered, or to "Visit" caches.

Geocoins are treated a little differently than official "Travel Bug" dog tags, by some Geocachers. They need to hold the actual, original coin. So if you revive a Geocoin, make it clear what people will find in the cache. That's important anyway, in case the original turns up.

Yes, what you are talking about is making a Proxy for the missing coin. Be sure to make that clear in the title and description so if and when the original re-appears (it could!!) your intent is there for all to see. The problem as you foresaw is multiples traveling on the same tracking code so just be sure if that happens that you contact whoever logged the proxy last that they destroy it. Then change the name again to reflect that it is the original that is being tracked again.

Edited by Droo

Hello everybody,

my geocoin got lost about a year ago. It travelled from the starting point to another cache and then it disappeared. Bad luck :(

Well, today I accidently stumbled over a picture of the geocoin where you can see the tracking number and then I had this idea: how about re-using the tracking number. I could for example create a new geocoin out of metall (or another material) and carve the tracking number into the new coin. People finding it in a cache could then track the coin and the journey would go on.

I know that when the original coin appears again, there is a problem. In that case I would write to the person finding it, that he/she can keep it and the imitation would stay in the race. On the other hand, how often does it happen that a lost coin or tb shows up again?

I never send out the real coin anymore, I always make proxies or have them made at a minimal cost at this site;http://www.shop.gxproxy.com/Ready2Go-GxProxy-Coins-R2G00010.htm

As other responders have explained, yes, you can reuse the code. But I wouldn't. I prefer to leave the original code assigned to the original item just in case it shows up again. If I wanted to launch another trackable, I'd just buy another tag. Why bother to introduce the possibility of confusion between your new trackable and the original?

After about 8 months or so of being lost I reissued the number on another copy and it started to move around and then.................miraculously the original reappeared in Europe so I had one in Europe and one in Oregon. It sure got a lot of mile going from Europe to Washington and from Washington to Europe and back to Oregon. I finally was able to get ahold of a cacher to get the madness stopped. More recently I have had a couple of trackables resurface after a year (or more) of being MIA. Just wait and hope or go ahead and remake it to travel. It is up to you!

As other responders have explained, yes, you can reuse the code. But I wouldn't. I prefer to leave the original code assigned to the original item just in case it shows up again. If I wanted to launch another trackable, I'd just buy another tag. Why bother to introduce the possibility of confusion between your new trackable and the original?

That's my way of dealing with lost trackables as well.

I had coins reappearing after several years, that's all part of the game.

Rule number one with travelers is:

Don't send anything out to travel, which you don't want to loose.

'Cause once the coins are out there, they're out of your controll. You can watch from the distance and marvel at the journeys they take.

For me the logs of my travelers are fun to read, the places they go, I'll probably never visit.

I have quite a few missing coins, but many more travel on.

That's my way of dealing with lost trackables as well.

I had coins reappearing after several years, that's all part of the game.

That is an advantage of a Geocoin over a "Travel Bug": The coin is the part that is coveted. So the Geocoin itself is kept, it is numbered and, by definition, traceable to its owner. With a TB, the attached item tends to be what is taken (the tag disposed of) when "lost". So if a Tracking Number is to be not reused, it kind of makes sense that would be a Geocoin's Tracking Number.

I revive them all, anyway. You know, while I'm waiting for them to turn up. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Yes....

The rule of thumb is...If a TB or coin has been 'Marked as Missing' for a year....you can re-release them.

I currently have two TB's that are re-releases. If I have a TB copy tag, I will reuse that. Otherwise, I've just stamped the numbers on a piece of aluminum/steal & added a cheapo traveler. Done. I have two more TB's that I could re-release anytime.

The TB's that I've re-released....I will change the name slightly - adding "II" so I know in a quick glance that they are re-releases.