Online Trackables?

PinkRoseBud

Hi there! :)

Right, so I have a trackable code, and I was wondering, would it be possible for me to put it on my website, so visitors to it can say that they 'discovered it' on my site? Is that allowed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

What you're describing is a "Virtual Trackable with virtual logs". See the last line here, for info about that. It's only one sentence, so it's kind of tough to know exactly what it means.

Edited by kunarion

Right, so I have a trackable code, and I was wondering, would it be possible for me to put it on my website, so visitors to it can say that they 'discovered it' on my site? Is that allowed?

Possible? Yes. But did they really discover it? No. You wouldn't allow me to log your cache as found if I saw a picture of it. Unlike a TB in a cache, or even on my car, or in my pocket, where someone has to be in the same place at the same time, this is just open to anyone, anywhere.

Now that's my opinion. The question is why do you want to do that? To show people you are a geocacher? You can put a link to your geocaching profile up, or a picture of the geocaching.com logo, or something like that.

Alright thanks everyone, in particular The Blorenges, I found your link really helpful! The reason I wanted to do this is because im about to publish a geocaching tips & help site and I was thinking for a fun game, I'd hide an image of a mini container somewhere on the site, and if you click on it, you get the trackable code! So I think I'll go ahead and see what happens! Thanks again :)

Hold on for just a second here...

You "have a trackable code"... you didn't say that it is YOUR trackable code, so I looked at your profile and you (apparently) do not own a trackable...

... so I am guessing that you have the "trackable code" from somebody else' trackable.

It IS NOT OK to post somebody else' trackable code online without their permission. They may not want such action taken. If you haven't checked with them, perhaps you should.

If you were to willy-nilly post one of my numbers online without at least asking first, that just may well start a personal war.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

When a tracking number is abused, Groundspeak's policy is to lock that Trackable's page, so that no more logs can happen. It's not always clear exactly what GS considers “tracking number abuse” is. In some cases, the Owner is asked to delete the “bogus logs”, and the Trackable may then be unlocked. So there seems to still be a rule in place where Trackables can get locked. Without further clarification, we can only guess.

So here's what my impression is (take it or leave it :anicute:):

1. Don't post Tracking Numbers online (and, don't post lists of Trackables). This is still essential. If you intend to post it anyway, first it must be your own (for example, you bought the TB, you have and keep the dog tags), and second, you accept the possibility that your Trackable's page may get locked. The policies are not at all clear, and appear to be in flux, so you must accept responsibility for unexpected problems. If you post someone else's number, you create problems for them, so don't post the number of a Trackable you don't own.

2. It's either a Trackable item or it's not. You don't track a “number”, you track a physical thing. Items such as a Trackable T-Shirt or car are allowed, since cachers log the item when they see the T-Shirt or car. There is no such thing as a Virtual Trackable, yet now the items such as T-Shirts and car TBs are defined as such, along with a TB number on a web page. By “not policing Virtual Trackables”, Groundspeak is creating a lot of new angst for TOs, as well as for TOs who lost their TB pages due to the old policies. Changing the term "Virtual Trackable" is a very bad idea, so all we can do is another face-palm, and wait for the inevitable.

3. Groundspeak has relaxed a policy on displaying Tracking Numbers online, with the requirement that the TO clearly states that it is a “Virtual Trackable” (cachers can then tell at a glance that it is what the TO intends). Yet the policy that the TO must remove “bogus logs” is still in place. Therefore, by posting a Tracking Number on a web page, the TO acknowledges that he or she will be especially diligent about removing bogus logs. The TO must remain in control. You do not re-post someone else's Tracking Number, the TO must be the only one to do that, if they decide to do so.

Maybe in your special case, you're on it, you're responsible and manage the “bogus logs”, and your TB maybe won't even end up on some online list, and it won't be an issue. We can review all the reasons if you like, but for most people, the advice stands. It's simply this: “Don't post Tracking Numbers online”.

Edited by kunarion

Hold on for just a second here...

You "have a trackable code"... you didn't say that it is YOUR trackable code, so I looked at your profile and you (apparently) do not own a trackable...

... so I am guessing that you have the "trackable code" from somebody else' trackable.

It IS NOT OK to post somebody else' trackable code online without their permission. They may not want such action taken. If you haven't checked with them, perhaps you should.

If you were to willy-nilly post one of my numbers online without at least asking first, that just may well start a personal war.

Oh gosh no it is my own! I just haven't registered it online yet! I got it from the attending the Halloween Hides & Creepy caches event, and it's just a lanyard with a trackable number on it, which they siad you can dow whatever you want with it! So I wanted to check what was possible first :)