cahes without permission - how to end

2wheels4cache

I know I have seen this topic somewhere on the Forum, but could not come up with it in Search.

Here is the situation -- I asked a landowner for permission to place some geocaches. It is land that is privately owned, but public is permitted to use it much of the time. I knew there were already a lot of caches on the property and assumed they had some kind of format.

It turned out that they did not know there were geocaches on their property. While not opposed to having geocaches, they would prefer to know about it. They did want to restrict placement from certain areas, such as where erosion was a problem. The problem is that some geocaches are already located in the areas they want to restrict. How is the best way for the owners to deal with that?

I can look up the people on my geocaching.com account and give the land owner that information, but it seems like there is a more direct route for the landowner to let the reviewer or someone know, so those caches are dealt with through appropriate channels.

Clarification -- I'm the only person the landowner knows who does geocaching, so she asked me who/how she should contact. I didn't know, so I was asking the Forum. I gave her the geocaching.com web address, but didn't know if that was the right route.

Edited by 2wheels4cache

I think you are opening up a huge can of worms.

You said the public is permitted some of the time. Can you elaborate?

The land owner wants to control where caches can be placed which means the reviewers will have add some sort of overlay to their process that allows them to advise potential cache placers that permission is now needed and who to get it from.

Then there is the issue of current caches placed where the owner doesn't want them that would probably require reviewer intervention. The response from them to a request to archive a cache on what is probably perceived as public property will range from no way to ok passing through ignoring.

If you are willing to embroil yourself in this cauldron of conflict feel free but be ready for a long and arduous journey with a bunch of "why did you muck up a nice situation" emails from cachers in the area.

Might be best to let this sleeping dog lie.

Can you give the GC number for one of those caches so we can all get a better understanding of the area.

I would get a list of the caches on the private property along with a map of where they are. Give that tot he property owner so they can decide which they have a problem with. Then the property owner can email contact@geocaching.com about the situation and tell them specifically, by GC ID, which caches they want moved or archived.

You may want to see about teaching the land owner how to check his property himself. This is likely going to be a continuing problem.

But I have to ask - is his land marked as being private? Is it bordering park land? Would the average person know this is not public land somehow?

It turned out that they did not know there were geocaches on their property. While not opposed to having geocaches, they would prefer to know about it. They did want to restrict placement from certain areas, such as where erosion was a problem, and from some physical structures. The problem is that some geocaches are already located in the areas they want to restrict. How is the best way for the owners to deal with that?

I can look up the people on my geocaching.com account and give the land owner that information, but it seems like there is a more direct route for the landowner to let the reviewer or someone know, so those caches are dealt with through appropriate channels.

First off, it's not you position to contact the cache owners. You could show the landowner how to do that, but it's not for you to do. Among other things, it might make you look like a "geo-cop" or whatever you want to call it. Other cacher might/will see you trying to ruin their game, or trying to pick on certain people.

As for the landowner-well since he? She? They? I'll go with they. Since they have not know about them, could that mean it really isn't that big of an issue in those special places? The cachers are obviously being careful, and not harming anything, so I personally don't see a need to do anything with the current caches, unless they cause problems in the future. I guess I'm saying if it's not hurting, why change it?

Now the landowner does have the right to know about the caches, and specifically now, any future caches. That is for Them to decide on what action to take. They could ban all caches, they could simply want to be notified when new caches are placed, or they may want work with the local cachers and help place caches in suitable locations.

Personally I would think-and I'm basing this on the fact that cachers have not caused any issues, and the landowner is receptive to future caches-that all current caches be allowed to stay. The landowner can create an account here (and have it upgraded to premium for no cost) to monitor cache cache placements.

I don't see a problem with contacting the cache owner(s) privately and letting them know that the landowner may have a problem with their caches, and/or with other geocachers trying to find those caches. If the landowner indicated they wanted to contact the cache owners, then you could ask the landowner for their contact information and include it with your email to the cache owners If you do this, you have not revealed cache owners or cache locations to the landowner nor have you involved reviewers or other geocachers. You are not being a 'geo-cop.' It would be up to the cache owners to decide how they wanted to handle it.

The alternative is to stay out of it. That's fine, but then other geocachers might get in to trouble. And most likely if they do, you'll never get permission to hide your cache(s) on the property.

I don't see a problem with contacting the cache owner(s) privately and letting them know that the landowner may have a problem with their caches, and/or with other geocachers trying to find those caches. If the landowner indicated they wanted to contact the cache owners, then you could ask the landowner for their contact information and include it with your email to the cache owners If you do this, you have not revealed cache owners or cache locations to the landowner nor have you involved reviewers or other geocachers. You are not being a 'geo-cop.' It would be up to the cache owners to decide how they wanted to handle it.

The alternative is to stay out of it. That's fine, but then other geocachers might get in to trouble. And most likely if they do, you'll never get permission to hide your cache(s) on the property.

That kind of activity will quickly get you labeled Geo-cop in the community so I think his last post about giving the info to the landowner and moving on works best.

That kind of activity will quickly get you labeled Geo-cop in the community so I think his last post about giving the info to the landowner and moving on works best.

Cache logging processes make us all "geocops" no matter what.

My advice would be to contact the local Reviewer with the caches which might be a problem. I'd also meet with the landowner and show them the locations of the caches on the gc.com map. From there, it sounds like a Reviewer should be able to sort out the notifications and possible disabling of the caches.

It's all of our jobs to deal with caches that might break the rules. To keep from making the situation a big problem for yourself, I'd just let the Reviewer know. It's their job to know where caches can and can't be placed, and you're providing vital information. I had to do as much for the land manager account I manage, and we had to coordinate removal of caches on lands without permissions.