Multi-Virtual Cache

E Ticket

I have an etrex 20 that downloads just fine gpx files and pocket queries. I want to download a cache with multiple locations. When I download the cache file only the main location comes up. There about 15 locations on the page to hunt for. Do I need to put all of those files in manually? There has got to be an easier way.

I have an etrex 20 that downloads just fine gpx files and pocket queries. I want to download a cache with multiple locations. When I download the cache file only the main location comes up. There about 15 locations on the page to hunt for. Do I need to put all of those files in manually? There has got to be an easier way.

If the other locations are defined additonal waypoints on the listing, they shoul dbe included in your pocket query. If they are not, then you either have to manually enter them or use some of the GSAK or other tools I have heard of (I'm sorry, I don't use them and so do not know what or where they are. Anyone else know?) that will pull additional coords from cache listing for you.

What listing is it? Are you downloading a GPX or LOC file to your GPS? You should be using GPX. Have you downloaded any LOC files in the past to it? If so, you need to delete all of the GPX and LOC files from the GPX folder on the unit and start over.

LOC files have limited information and are available so Basic members can at least get the main coordinates onto their GPS unit. If there is a LOC file on your Garmin unit, it will revert all of the caches to basic information. As a Premium member, you want to stick with GPX files. Note, if you are using Send to GPS, you are getting a GPX, but if you had previously used Send to GPX as a basic member, you received a LOC file, so you will still need to clear your GPX folder and start over.

If the 15 locations are attached to the cache listing as Additional Waypoints, they should transfer to your unit with the GPX file. Since I don't have one of these units, I'll let someone else describe how to find and display them. There is a difference between "Geocaches" and "Waypoints" on these units and I'm not really up to speed on what is displayed when you are in the different modes.

Your PQ should have 2 files. The file that ends in -wpts.gpx (the smaller of the 2) contains the "Additional Waypoints" for all the caches in the PQ. Be sure to also load this file into your GPS.

They will show up on your GPS as 'Waypoints' - not as 'Geocaches'. Use "Where To?" --> "Waypoints" to access them.

Each waypoint is named by using the Prefix as defined by the CO when submitting the cache, followed by the cache GC number (minus the "GC") e.g. L338VN6 is Location L3 for geocache GC38VN6

If the cache page lists "Additional Waypoints" you can find the prefix for each one in the table there.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Ok so this is what I know.

I have only downloaded gpx file, not loc

The site I am trying to get the extra locations is GC7F3C

I'm not sure what a GSAK tool is. I have a Mac OSX if that makes any difference.

I did not find -wpts.gpx files in my PQ

There are no new waypoints in my gps

It looks like I may have to hand enter each coord! I don't think I had to do that with my old gps.

Thanks for the help and please comment if you think of something else.

Ok so this is what I know.

I have only downloaded gpx file, not loc

The site I am trying to get the extra locations is GC7F3C

I'm not sure what a GSAK tool is. I have a Mac OSX if that makes any difference.

I did not find -wpts.gpx files in my PQ

There are no new waypoints in my gps

It looks like I may have to hand enter each coord! I don't think I had to do that with my old gps.

Thanks for the help and please comment if you think of something else.

Unfortunately, I think you think you are right on this one.

This cache was put out in '02 - long before "Additional Waypoints' were required to be listed.

I think the mandatory waypoint listing came about sometime around 2005 or so.

My previous answer should apply to any caches newer that.