New guy here... am I overthinking the caches?

Fastphil

Hey all,

Today I took my family out for a bike ride and along the way we tried to find three local caches. Two were micro, one was small. The four of us scoured the area of all three caches and came up empty-handed. Seeing as we've never done this before, I'm wondering if we're overthinking things? For instance, one of the micros was supposedly near a mail box by the side of the street. We didn't find anything that we imagined could contain a log of any kind. We spotted a few unusual things, but nothing relevant, at least after applying the above logic. I understand that the point is to find something that's well-hidden, but the logs for all three locations show multiple finds both today and yesterday that say they're super easy. What are we missing? We also searched maybe 50-80 feet in every direction around each location.

As a side note, my girlfriend now thinks this whole treasure-hunting-with-no-treasure thing is kind of silly. At least our 6-year-old daughter wants to try again. The other seems indifferent.

I know I can't expect concrete answers as to what I'm looking for, so I have some questions that might help me better understand:

If a cache on a map shows near a street, is it possible that it's actually on the other side of the street?

Is it possible that the difficulty ratings and/or description and/or hints are completely off?

We haven't given up hope yet. We'll try some more locations in the next couple of days.

Also, as a long-haul truck driver, I'm hoping to be able to do this activity as spare time allows while I'm on the road!

Thanks,

Phil

What you are missing is probably one key element: Experience.

A micro could be as small as your little fingernail, imagine a pencil eraser (actually a nano, but still classified as a micro). Yes a log fits within it. Don't keep your eyes on the ground either, especially with micros. Even with "small" -- some folks misrepresent cache sizes 'cuz they realize that some cachers don't bother with seeking out micros.

Of the three, were any in a parking lot? Hmmm, now just where could it hide in a parking lot? There are things to hide it under in a parking lot, ya know.

How about along an iron fence, maybe a guardrail or a signpost? (Think magnetic)

If your map shows in on a side of a street, it probably is on that side, but I give no guarantee. This is because of a couple of things: 1] maps can be (notoriously?) inaccurate (they are overlays, ya know); 2] your device is showing you the coordinates, not the cache proper, and although the cache is close, it may not be dead-on at those coordinates (lotsa reasons).

Don't get locked into thinking the cache is AT those coordinates -- heck, your device might not even agree with the hiders' device, although it should be close.

What to do: When you get to within 20 or so feet, put the device away. That is, stop looking at the device and look for the cache (or its hiding spot). The cache should be within a 20' - 30' circle of the spot-on coordinates -- consumer-grade devices aren't made to put a cruise missile through a window at 1,500 miles distance.

Stop thinking "container" and look for something that just isn't quite right or even odd, for that matter. Sometimes, everything on scene is perfect and you may very well have looked at or touched it (happens far more than you think) -- you just didn't recognize it to be a cache container. How 'bout a bolt that really doesn't belong where it is?

Oh yeah -- the only tree around? Do look UP.

Regarding the mailbox, it shouldn't be on the mailbox (unless it is the Cache Owners' mailbox -- even then if a reviewer catches wind of that, it could end up being archived).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
If a cache on a map shows near a street, is it possible that it's actually on the other side of the street?

Is it possible that the difficulty ratings and/or description and/or hints are completely off?

A cache could be 50 feet from your Ground Zero, if the hider was 25 feet off, and you're 25 feet off. If people are having trouble with bad coords, or if the ratings are no good, you'd tend to see logs stating that. If logs say "it's easy", maybe it's a familiar hide style and container.

Some micros are unbelievably tiny "blinkie" watch battery holders, the size of a fingertip. They'd likely be magnetically held to an object. You should avoid Micros for now. Stick to the bigger sizes, lower ratings, and very clear descriptions and hints. Once you get familiar with how the App works, and what a "possible hiding spot" looks like, then go for tougher ones.

Make an appropriate log even if you don't find a cache. Sometimes, you're looking for one that went missing today, and the info is useful. And it's OK to ask the cache owner for help. They may even offer help based on your log, especially if the cache is supposed to be very easy.

Thanks for the replies guys, you've given me a lot to consider. As I've stated, I haven't yet given up hope. I'm a strong believer in giving good feedback, because it's so often lacking in most online communities. I submitted DNF logs for all three caches.

One of them was indeed in a parking lot of a new strip mall in a section that's not yet open for business. I hadn't thought of the magnetic possibility, and I've clearly overestimated (or underestimated?) how small the caches could be. The ones in my area that I've seen on the map so far are mostly micro and small sizes.

And to specify about the mailbox, it's not a private box on private property. This is a Canada Post box that has multiple doors on it, each of which is for a specific address. Yes, mail delivery is probably one of the many things we pay taxes for, but we still have to walk down the street to get it.

Thanks guys, I'll be trying again tomorrow. Both daughters seem to be keen on at least finding something.

Phil

Edited by Fastphil

Another thing: I have the Geocaching Intro (free) app on my iPhone 5. Is the $9.99 version worthwhile for a casual user?

The Intro App says it shows "three nearby caches". This is suitable to demo what the App does, but I wouldn't think it would be suitable for a day out caching with the family. You should go to the web site, look at a list of caches in the area, see if the area looks promising, and pick easy ones that are listed as "Large" and have lots of Favorites, and that have very good descriptions & hints. Especially pick some near cool-sounding places, where there's something you'd like to do once you've found the cache.

Once you start finding caches, then decide what App you want. $9.99 is pretty good as a one-time fee for the ability to see and navigate to caches on-the-fly.

Welcome to geocaching and the forums. Yes, you CAN overthink the hide. We still do it. When you get to GZ (ground zero, as indicated by your device) try not looking at it, but at the area. Think "where would I hide it?" Also, I think Canada Post prefers not to have anything attached to the mailbox. I have found caches between the boxes, and under what they are mounted on.

Try looking for larger caches, medium and up. Micros can be film canister or smaller, and nanos - the size of a fingernail.

You may find attending an event in your area and hooking up with another cacher helpful. There is a learning curve, and you will get it. Check the hints, and the logs posted for the cache.

I can sympathize about the walk to the mailbox - and the fact we pay tax dollars for the privilege!

One other thing - you can contact the cache owner and ask if they are willing to give you a hint.

Good luck, and tell your daughters they are stars for giving it another try!

Welcome to geocaching!! :)

Yes, you can overthink it.

One of the first caches I found was a magnetic nano on a fire hydrant. I had NO CLUE what I was looking for and went back multiple times.

Just keep going. When you get to about 10 finds you'll have a feel for what you're doing and be more confident.

If the app shows you where it is, it's doubtful it's on the other side of the street. That's my experience with the Iphone app anyway.

The price for both the app and the premium membership are so worth it.

I love my 9.99 app

Definitely worth it! You need internet to download caches but then you can save them and they are there for when you don't have a connection, you also have maps and a compus which work really well and usually can get my anywhere from right there to within 10 feet depending on how moody it's being! lol This app is all I've ever used! Much less expensive to try than the GPS especially if your not sure you will keep this as a hobby. But once you start finding those bigger ones I'm sure you'll be hooked!

I agree with all the others with starting with bigger caches but don't forget to bring something to trade. I try to make sure the bigger ones I go to have lots for younger people...I'll usually throw in a small coloured styrofoam egg and maybe a marble or plastic diamonds, etc. in exchange for something of interest to me.

Thanks for the input again to all of you! Sounds like the app would be worthwhile for me especially when I'm on the road. I'll do some more research before I spend the money though. I was cruising around the map earlier, checking out locations near the truckstops I stop at most frequently, and it looks promising so far.

Aloha, Fastphil!

You and I are probably the newest newbies in geocaching.... I just started this past Friday, and yes, went 0-2, but only because I was trying to find micros... waaaay outta my league (and yours, too, if you don't mind me saying so!)

Anyhow, Happy 'Caching and hope to hear of your finds in the near future!

Aloha!

UC3B

It may be helpful to log your Did Not Find (DNF) and explain that you're new to geocaching. If I saw that log on one of our caches, I'd send an email, welcome you to caching, and ask if I could answer any questions. The cache owner (CO) may be very happy to give you some pointers and awesome hints on that particular cache.

I've posted this before, and some of it duplicates advice you've already received, but you may still find it useful:

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

I have some good news to add! I bit the bullet and upgraded to the full app for my iPhone. It is indeed far better than the demo, and when you figure the cost/value ratio for years of potential fun/exercise/adventure/family bonding, it's just about the best bargain ever! I've wasted $10 on far more useless things.

My daughters and I went out on our bikes again today, and have found two local small-sized caches. We had a good time. Looking forward to doing more!

I have some good news to add! I bit the bullet and upgraded to the full app for my iPhone. It is indeed far better than the demo, and when you figure the cost/value ratio for years of potential fun/exercise/adventure/family bonding, it's just about the best bargain ever! I've wasted $10 on far more useless things.

My daughters and I went out on our bikes again today, and have found two local small-sized caches. We had a good time. Looking forward to doing more!

Congrats! Looks like you're on your way! 👍

As a side note, my girlfriend now thinks this whole treasure-hunting-with-no-treasure thing is kind of silly.

There's plenty of treasure to be found :) it's just called Swag. Ok, so the majority will be mainly for kids, but there's geocoins and trackables (which you move from cache to cache and track online) to be found, as well as people who put special FTF (First to Find) prizes into their caches, I've also found foreign coins before, and I'm pretty new too (joined a while back but didn't really cache much back then.

You never know what you're going to find in a cache if you go for the small-large cache types.

Also congrats on your first few finds :)

I am new too, I only joined a week ago - but am now onto over 20 finds :)

I started out doing it as another outdoor activity I could do with my 3 yr old daughter and she loves the treasure hunting aspect of it all.

My first find was definitely the hardest (so far) as I was over thinking and not looking in the right area. When we found it, we were off on our journey.....

Congratulations on your first finds. I am also very new to this with only 6 finds (all in one afternoon). My second find was across the street from where my app was pointing, if not for looking at past logs, which pointed out 50 ft errors, I doubt I would have found it.

My 3rd find, along with my 22 y.o. daughter, took us nearly an hour once we reached GZ. It was a custom container that blended in very well with it's surroundings. At the time I had no idea what kind of containers I might find in the field and felt quite a sense of accomplishment after finding it. One thing I still don't understand is how it could have been marked with a difficulty level of 1.5, now I'm afraid to look for anything above a 2!

Been too busy to go out since that first day but am going again this afternoon after work, can't wait!

One thing I still don't understand is how it could have been marked with a difficulty level of 1.5, now I'm afraid to look for anything above a 2!

I generally ignore the ratings until I need to put some thought into getting to GZ. If I get to GZ and see a wooded hillside or dense overgrowth or other obstacles, then I'll look at the ratings to determine how likely it is that I'll have to tackle them.

I find it's actually pretty tough to decide on an appropriate difficulty level when creating a cache. What I may consider a sneaky hide, others may immediately find it without any trouble. Conversely, a couple of my seemingly simple hides have gathered a few DNFs. I don't do LPCs or guardrail hides...so they usually are at minimum a 1.5 difficulty. It's tough to stand back and try to imagine it as someone approaching the area for the first time without any preconceptions. I know how it'll be hidden, so by that point, that's all I can see and I can't UN-see the hiding spot. I almost think it WOULD be wise to have a voting system for each cache to give someone coming in to look for it a better idea of the difficulty taken from "objective" sources.

My 3rd find, along with my 22 y.o. daughter, took us nearly an hour once we reached GZ. It was a custom container that blended in very well with it's surroundings. At the time I had no idea what kind of containers I might find in the field and felt quite a sense of accomplishment after finding it. One thing I still don't understand is how it could have been marked with a difficulty level of 1.5, now I'm afraid to look for anything above a 2!
I think some cache owners may latch onto the "In plain sight" part of the description of 1-star difficulty (in Ratings for Difficulty and Terrain), and figure that anything hidden in plain sight must be 1-star difficulty, or at most 1.5-star difficulty. But I've found very well-camouflaged caches hidden in plain sight and appropriately rated 4-stars difficulty.

Still, the difficulty rating descriptions above 1 star refer to the length of time it may take an "average geocache hunter" or an "experienced geocache hunter" to find the cache. Thus, a novice geocache hunter who has never seen a particular hide style or camouflage technique before may take a lot longer to find the cache. That's why it's often best for new geocachers to start with easy caches (low difficulty) and work their way up. A 4-star difficulty cache is expected to take an "experienced geocache hunter" multiple days/trips. That's probably a bad place for a novice to start.

But eventually, as you gain experience, you can take on more difficult caches and enjoy them. Or decide that you don't enjoy that aspect of the game, and stick to less difficult hides.

As a fellow new cacher (37 caches! Woot!) the best advice I can give you is to look up types of caches. Go to the geocaching store webpage and look at the cache containers. That will take you MILES in terms of what to look for.

And FTR, our first two caches were DNFs, I have looked multiple times since then for both, and we still can't find them. :-/

Just passing through to say hey! I'm fairly new too, joined ages ago but only started searching this year. Loving caching & really appreciating all the tips from more experienced cachers. I'm on my way to the UK 31 in 31 challenge (find 31 caches in the 31 days of August), not putting pressure on myself as a newb but I'll see how I get on for the rest of the month.