Okay to log attended by event owner?

It's not complicated. :rolleyes:

If your event stats exceeds the actual number of event caches you've been to, you're lying. Eye-roll that

Different stats. Hosted and Attended. What if you could not attend one of the events you hosted? Would you delete that event from your hosted stats? If you don't, then by your reasoning you are lying.

Do you add your hides to your finds and use that number as your caches? Sounds the same as adding hosted events to attended events to get your number of events...

Not to mention that if souvenirs are important to you not logging that you've attended means you don't get a souvenir for a special event that you've hosted.

I wonder how many souvenirs have been awarded to people that created events solely so that people (and of course the host of the event) could get an August souvenir.

I know of two groups nearby that are hosting at least one event a day for the entire month. Another group has an event every day during the M-F work week. Most are very short.

I log Attended on my events and will continue to do so because I attended it.

People don't "find" Webcam caches either, at least not in the literal sense. But not many Webcam cache owners log a "Webcam Photo Taken" on their own caches. My guess is that most of them easily could do so, but they'd consider it to be in "bad form." I'm not sure how the idea of claiming a smiley on your own event became such a widespread practice.

People don't "find" Webcam caches either, at least not in the literal sense. But not many Webcam cache owners log a "Webcam Photo Taken" on their own caches. My guess is that most of them easily could do so, but they'd consider it to be in "bad form." I'm not sure how the idea of claiming a smiley on your own event became such a widespread practice.

Imo, webcams seem more like traditionals in that you have to arrive to ground zero and then look for the camera itself. I've been to a couple where it took a bit of looking around to spot. Of course, the owner knows right where to look and smile.

Imo, webcams seem more like traditionals in that you have to arrive to ground zero and then look for the camera itself. I've been to a couple where it took a bit of looking around to spot. Of course, the owner knows right where to look and smile.

My point is that if you're going to justify logging a smiley for your own event because you "attended" it, then you could just as easily justify logging a smiley for your own Webcam cache because there was a "Webcam Photo Taken." But I have yet to see anyone claim a smiley for their own Webcam.

My point is that if you're going to justify logging a smiley for your own event because you "attended" it, then you could just as easily justify logging a smiley for your own Webcam cache because there was a "Webcam Photo Taken." But I have yet to see anyone claim a smiley for their own Webcam.

Actually,, there are differences in the way both of these are displayed at the top of their respective pages.

ec930a33-abec-44f2-a9ec-dd3f3011b94d.jpg

But really, i could care less if or how a person logs an event. We both have different opinions on this but the bottom line is that it really doesnt matter.

I wouldn't have a problem if someone logged a find on their own webcam, provided they took the photo. Also wouldn't have a problem with people logging their own challenges if they completed the requirements.

I see no troubles marking my hosted events as attended. These are differents jobs at all. Being a long-term organizer of CITO events in my region (though most of them haven't been published at gc.com) I know for sure what is the difference. I announce a CITO event and organize it: call local authorities to inform about our plans, take care about plastic bags for garbage, prepare souvenirs for participants, regularly publish news about what's going on, answer questions, etc. Most of my fellow geocachers don't do anything of this. It's an organizational role. When it comes to cleaning the park we all come and work. This is the different job/role. I do both I definitely can say that I'm the host and I also attended this event.

So, though the event is the same there are different roles. "Finding" my own geocache has nothing with it. It is still the same role - owners maintenance, not a find.

Edited by -CJ-

I have. When I started caching in Germany, it was the norm for owners to attend their own caches. We've attended events in over a dozen different caching communities around Germany and the US, and as far as I can tell it's been the norm at every event we've attended so far. If I hadn't logged our 10 Years! event, I wouldn't have gotten to one, as I had other obligations that weekend. I was there, I logged my attendance. Simple.

We've hosted a total of 9 events so far over the last six years, so this breaks out to less than 0.2% of our find count. If I start hosting multiple events every day, you can start questioning my motives.