my cache page

sasqwatches

ok a little preface

when at home i go to my owned geocache page and click on my cache my navigation menus are spit into two groups view, watch, bookmark, and ignore then there is another box with all the admin tools.

now when at work all those menus are in on box and titled navigation

what is the deal with that??? is there a setting somewhere in GC or is it a server thing and my workplace?

All of those tools have always been in one "Navigation" box for me. I use Firefox on both PC and Mac, and that's how it shows up on both. I looked at it on IE on my PC and it's still just one box.

So I'm not sure why it's split into two boxes for you, unless it's maybe the width/height ratio of your browser screen that makes it do it? Hmmm...

Yes! I see it, too!

jrwspw.jpg

There are nicely formatted, fancy Navigation boxes for cache pages, if I'm viewing them in the Google Chrome browser (Windows only, not the Android one). They're ordinary in IE and FF. I'm guessing the OP uses Chrome at home, and a different one at work.

Compare the browsers you're using: http://www.browserreport.com/

The one on my PC is "Chrome 28.0.1500.72" (PC is Windows 7). I don't see any "Geocaching" helper plugins in my report, but I have Java, Flash, Silverlight, everything that a browser typically wants me to install.

Geocaching.com is seeing "Chrome 28.0.1500.72", and serving the page just for that version of Chrome. Or the tags are there in the code for just the right version to use. Whatever, it only works in some versions of particular web browsers. Maybe there's a selection in Chrome and other browsers to switch Fancy Menu on and off, but I don't see how.

While running Chrome, go here: chrome://chrome/

It's the menu item "About Google Chrome". That shows the version and whether it's up to date.

Edited by kunarion

my home browser is up to date im sure my work browser is as well (have to wait till monday to look)we hire a IT comp. to make sure all work stations are running top notch and with that they make sure all systems are up to date every week BUT you never know it may be something with the work server or the IT dept we hire.

also on a side note since i do use chrome and have a google acct i am logged in to my google account at home and at work

Edited by sasqwatches

I've just now noticed that Chrome on my Win 8 laptop also does NOT have Fancy Menu. Chrome on Win 7 does. So I did a Browser Report for both. Java is different, and I may not be able to make them the same (guessing it's Java that causes the difference). There are a couple of other different plugins between the two systems.

Here's my info for Chrome in Win 7, the browser that shows the new Fancy Menu:

Shockwave Flash Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800

Chrome Remote Desktop Viewer This plugin allows you to securely access other computers that have been shared with you. To use this plugin you must first install the Chrome Remote Desktop webapp.

Native Client

Chrome PDF Viewer

QuickTime Plug-in 7.7.4 The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.

DivX VOD Helper Plug-in DivX VOD Helper Plug-in

DivX Plus Web Player DivX Plus Web Player version 2.2.0.52

Garmin Communicator Plug-In Garmin Communicator Plug-In 4.0.1.0

Google Earth Plugin GEPlugin

Google Update Google Update

Motive Plugin Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers

Wacom Dynamic Link Library Wacom Dynamic Link Library

Windows Live Photo Gallery NPWLPG

Hulu Desktop The Hulu Desktop Plugin allows Hulu.com to integrate with the Hulu Desktop application.

Shockwave Flash Shockwave Flash 11.7 r700

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.90.5 NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java Deploy

Shockwave for Director Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.6.1.629

Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.20513.0

Here's my info for Chrome in Win 8, the browser that doesn't have Fancy Menu:

Shockwave Flash Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800

Chrome Remote Desktop Viewer This plugin allows you to securely access other computers that have been shared with you. To use this plugin you must first install the Chrome Remote Desktop webapp.

Native Client

Chrome PDF Viewer

Adobe Acrobat Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.7

Garmin Communicator Plug-In Garmin Communicator Plug-In 4.0.4.0

Google Earth Plugin GEPlugin

Google Update Google Update

Intel® Identity Protection Technology Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology

Java Platform SE 7 U21 Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.21.2 for Mozilla browsers

VLC Web Plugin VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.6

Photo Gallery NPWLPG

npAPI Plugin npAPI Plugin

npAPI Ghost Plugin npAPI Ghost Plugin

Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.20513.0

Edited by kunarion

You're seeing the new page design that GS is letting some random users try out. It's been talked about in the release notes.

You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page design; sorry, no spoiler pics in these release notes. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

It seems that some computers will link to the new page, and some the old style.

Edited by Kacher82

I see the 'double-layered' 'menu' using Firefox 22 on WIN7.

Also, I noticed there was an unannounced site outage yesterday afternoon when I went to log my finds for the day.

Afterwards I immediately noticed the new style had been applied.

I've updated FF to version 22 on my Win 7 PC, and it was still the same old menu. So I installed the "Java Update" that FF recommended (popped up while I was running the Browser Report page). Still no difference. I can't figure out what causes the menu to go fancy, have run out of ideas, and have completely lost interest in the issue. :anicute:

You're seeing the new page design that GS is letting some random users try out.

You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

I am seeing a totally alien look for all cache pages. Have I now become a victim of the new look? Has anyone "reacted favorably"? I hate everything about it. Where do I begin?

I had to delete a Background Image URL because the images went wild and covered over all the logs.

The logs are squeezed over to the right half of the screen. It's hard to tell where one log starts and where the next one stops, or who wrote what log. And what are they going to do with all that white space on the left side? More paid advertisements?

The space to enter a PQ name has shrunk, so it's harder to read a long PQ name. What did that accomplish?

The space to write a message to a fellow cacher has shrunk. It's now very narrow and only three lines are visible at a time. This is looking like another untested nightmare. Hooray for better mistakes.

Edited by Cardinal Red

I am seeing a totally alien look for all cache pages. Have I now become a victim of the new look? Has anyone "reacted favorably"? I hate everything about it. Where do I begin?

I had to delete a Background Image URL because the images went wild and covered over all the logs.

The logs are squeezed over to the right half of the screen. It's hard to tell where one log starts and where the next one stops, or who wrote what log. And what are they going to do with all that white space on the left side? More paid advertisements?

The space to enter a PQ name has shrunk, so it's harder to read a long PQ name. What did that accomplish?

The space to write a message to a fellow cacher has shrunk. It's now very narrow and only three lines are visible at a time. This is looking like another untested nightmare. Hooray for better mistakes.

The new look has a nice organized style. If things are all over the place, clear your browser cache and try again. And compare it in another web browser.

Edited by kunarion

The new look has a nice organized style. If things are all over the place, clear your browser cache and try again. And compare it in another web browser.

Just a follow up FYI. I didn't do anything except live with the previously partially described nightmare. Then the August update rolled out. Seems pretty much back to normal again. Lets not go so far as to praise it as organized. Just call it what it is. Normal.