iPhone 5 with Commander Compass Lite vs Garmin

I'm new to the geocaching thing, but thought I'd give it a try over the weekend. I had some success using my iPhone 5 with this free app called Commander Compass Lite. I had a lot of fun and am thinking of getting a dedicated handheld unit, like a Garmin. However, I'm just not really sure it's worth it. A middle-of-the-road Garmin is pretty pricey and then after all that, from what I read, the basic map sucks. Also, recharging AA batteries all the time seems like a pain.

On the other hand, my iPhone has many maps, including really nice satellite imagery (which of course is extra on the Garmin), it has a great touch screen, the Commander app has a 3-axis compass, and accuracy seems fine (although I'm not out in the middle of nowhere). It's very easy to charge and there's no fooling around with batteries. There are a few downsides, such as battery life, but otherwise, it works like a charm. Now, if only I could make it repel mosquitoes!

So, am I missing something? My iPhone was free from work, the app is free, and even if I decide to buy the official geocaching app, I'm only out 10 bucks. It seems really hard to justify the cost of a Garmin + maps + batteries + all the other extras.

Depends on where you go. I am sometimes hiking or biking for 6+ hours. Cell batteries don't last that long. Also if you drop it on the trail how rugged is it? Sometimes I am in a no cell zone which means if I haven't downloaded the caches and maps I am out of luck.

There are a pretty good amount of people who are phone only. I know a couple TeamBNE who are in the thousands using a pair of iPhones.

I also have a problem seeing the screen when I have sunglasses on and they are terrible to see when the sun is on the screen.

If it works for you then you don't need a handheld.

'Tis a hard decision... really, it can be.

Something to keep in mind though -- GPSr units are far more robust than a phones (I hear-tell there is a new one that supposedly tougher than nails and a bit more water resistant). Hand-held GPSr units will bounce and come back again for another toss. Some have been recovered from underwater a year later and still function. Not so with cell phones and in-car satnav units.

Batteries, eh? I think you have it backwards. It is far easier and economical to carry a couple of AA batteries for a switch-out. Most GPSr units use all AAs (rechargeable, lithium, standard). Do you carry spare (charged) phone batteries? You'd better 'cuz sooner or later you will be out in da middle of nowheresville when your battery pukes. Whatchagonnadothen, when you have been studying the unit and not the trail(s) to get out of there? It happens, and it happens with regularity. It is really difficult to charge your phone at the vehicle when you cannot find the vehicle. When your battery dies you have no compass, maps or even the ability to call S&R.

It seems that you are locked into rechargeable batteries for some reason:

Also, recharging AA batteries all the time seems like a pain.

Take note that 1] there are free maps available for download; 2] Delorme (not Garmin) includes perhaps the best route-able Topo maps available with their unit (the PN-60) and it includes Canada and Mexico.

Ya know, if you really wanna enjoy something, you really should stop thinking in terms of "free". If you really want to enjoy geocaching at its fullest, then you probably would want to also purchase a Premium Membership.

I like "free" too, but "free" always has limits. As long as you apparently have lots of "free", why not splurge?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Depends on where you go. I am sometimes hiking or biking for 6+ hours. Cell batteries don't last that long. Also if you drop it on the trail how rugged is it? Sometimes I am in a no cell zone which means if I haven't downloaded the caches and maps I am out of luck.

There are a pretty good amount of people who are phone only. I know a couple TeamBNE who are in the thousands using a pair of iPhones.

I also have a problem seeing the screen when I have sunglasses on and they are terrible to see when the sun is on the screen.

If it works for you then you don't need a handheld.

That makes sense. I agree with all the disadvantages of using a cell.

'Tis a hard decision... really, it can be.

Something to keep in mind though -- GPSr units are far more robust than a phones (I hear-tell there is a new one that supposedly tougher than nails and a bit more water resistant). Hand-held GPSr units will bounce and come back again for another toss. Some have been recovered from underwater a year later and still function. Not so with cell phones and in-car satnav units.

Batteries, eh? I think you have it backwards. It is far easier and economical to carry a couple of AA batteries for a switch-out. Most GPSr units use all AAs (rechargeable, lithium, standard). Do you carry spare (charged) phone batteries? You'd better 'cuz sooner or later you will be out in da middle of nowheresville when your battery pukes. Whatchagonnadothen, when you have been studying the unit and not the trail(s) to get out of there? It happens, and it happens with regularity. It is really difficult to charge your phone at the vehicle when you cannot find the vehicle. When your battery dies you have no compass, maps or even the ability to call S&R.

It seems that you are locked into rechargeable batteries for some reason:

Also, recharging AA batteries all the time seems like a pain.

Take note that 1] there are free maps available for download; 2] Delorme (not Garmin) includes perhaps the best route-able Topo maps available with their unit (the PN-60) and it includes Canada and Mexico.

Ya know, if you really wanna enjoy something, you really should stop thinking in terms of "free". If you really want to enjoy geocaching at its fullest, then you probably would want to also purchase a Premium Membership.

I like "free" too, but "free" always has limits. As long as you apparently have lots of "free", why not splurge?

From digital cameras, to phones, to my cheap bike GPS, I'm just used to charging. I see your points about batteries, though. I guess a lot depends on where I plan on going. I've been to a few cache sites in local parks, and also some urban ones, but I don't plan on heading doing any remote wilderness stuff any time soon. Basically, I'm not going any where that I'd be lost if my battery died.

Are there free satellite maps for the Garmin, too? I don't mind paying for stuff, but it's got to be worth my money. When I have a beautifully detailed satellite imagery map on my phone, that's 3D to boot, I'm not going to sign up for a subscription service with Garmin.

Edited by TombRaid3r

If you're not sure....then continue to go geocaching with the iphone.

Nothing wrong with the iphone.

Sooner or later - if you get more involved with this hobby, you will see the limitations of the phone and you'll crave the need for a GPS. You'll know when its time for a handheld.

But I will say this...once you switch over to a handheld, you won't want to geocache with the phone after that (unless you need to).

Well, I bought the official geocaching app for the iPhone, and I must say it's pretty slick. Commander Lite was nice, but I was entering coordinates manually, and then would have to browse the web if wanted to read descriptions. With the new app, it's one stop shopping. It's got compass and map mode, descriptions, hints, etc. Also, I can log finds in real time. I have a choice of a few maps, but have been using the Apple street & satellite maps, which are very decent. Made a few finds this evening, and accuracy seems sufficient. I may outgrow this app at some point, but I'm very happy with it now. I've been browsing through this thread and reading about the newer Garmin Oregon 600, and it seems like some people aren't thrilled with it. At this point, I can't justify spending $400+ for a fancy handheld. Most of the Garmins don't even have newer tech like GLONASS capabililty, which the iPhone has had since 4S. I've never been an Apple guy, but this thing sure is handy! B)

Well, I bought the official geocaching app for the iPhone, and I must say it's pretty slick. Commander Lite was nice, but I was entering coordinates manually, and then would have to browse the web if wanted to read descriptions. With the new app, it's one stop shopping. It's got compass and map mode, descriptions, hints, etc. Also, I can log finds in real time. I have a choice of a few maps, but have been using the Apple street & satellite maps, which are very decent. Made a few finds this evening, and accuracy seems sufficient. I may outgrow this app at some point, but I'm very happy with it now. I've been browsing through this thread and reading about the newer Garmin Oregon 600, and it seems like some people aren't thrilled with it. At this point, I can't justify spending $400+ for a fancy handheld. Most of the Garmins don't even have newer tech like GLONASS capabililty, which the iPhone has had since 4S. I've never been an Apple guy, but this thing sure is handy! B)

You should be able to have a lot of fun caching with the app. Some people are perfectly happy caching with a smartphone and have found thousands of caches that way, never felt the need for a dedicated handheld.

Once you get a little experience you will figure out what your needs/wants are based on your particular caching style, then you can decide if you want or need a handheld. You will also have a better idea of what features you want so you can make an informed decision instead of just buying the newest shiny thing.

You should be able to have a lot of fun caching with the app. Some people are perfectly happy caching with a smartphone and have found thousands of caches that way, never felt the need for a dedicated handheld.

Once you get a little experience you will figure out what your needs/wants are based on your particular caching style, then you can decide if you want or need a handheld. You will also have a better idea of what features you want so you can make an informed decision instead of just buying the newest shiny thing.

Thanks. Yeah, I can see it would be really dependent on the individual's style and what areas they choose to cache (deep woods far away from civilization vs more populated areas). I'll see how it goes with the phone for a while, but if I find a gps unit I really like, who knows? I am a fan of fancy, new tech. The biggest problem I've found so far with the iPhone is battery life.

Edited by TombRaid3r

One more quick question....forget about all the other features, let's talk about accuracy. Between the iPhone 5S and a good Garmin, say an Oregon 400 or 600 series, which will get me closer to GZ? Is there any handheld that will consistently put me within 1-3 meters, or will they still put me in the general vicinity, just like the iPhone?

Your expectation of 3-10 feet is way more accurate than the system is. Anything under 20 feet is considered good. Even if your device is accurate to 3 feet if the placers isn't then you will be off by his EPE.

Thanks, so it sounds like I should just stick with the iPhone for now? The only reason I'd buy a dedicated unit at this point is for better accuracy. The phone will get me under 20ft, typically.

I see your point about the placer. I could have the best GPS in the whole world with cm accuracy, but if the original coordinates are a little off, it doesn't matter.

Edited by TombRaid3r

If you're not sure....then continue to go geocaching with the iphone.

Nothing wrong with the iphone.

Sooner or later - if you get more involved with this hobby, you will see the limitations of the phone and you'll crave the need for a GPS. You'll know when its time for a handheld.

But I will say this...once you switch over to a handheld, you won't want to geocache with the phone after that (unless you need to).

Or, like me, you will rarely pick up the gpsr. I use the iphone (Geosphere) to map and filter pocket queries, save solved puzzles or completed challengrs, route me to the cache with lots of different map options (offline or online), show me a beautifully displayed description with graphics, and log my finds after I take some pictures using Hipstamatic or any number of photo apps. I can do wherigos. I have tools for field puzzles. A sturdy case. Another case that gives me extra battery life should I plan a long trip. And even in the woods it has gotten me where I need to go