Vegas cachers? Halp!

cruelkitti

I'll be visiting Vegas (road-tripping there from Ohio) in a couple weeks to visit my family. Both sides of my family live there, including my parents, whom I haven't seen in 15+ years. I will only be there for 12 days, and will be spending all of my time with family, however, we have planned to spend one day, kid-free, to be tourists and explore. I've been to Vegas many times, but my fiance hasn't left the East side of the U.S and has never seen a real mountain, the desert or anything like it at all. I've researched some caches hidden in nearby Mountains (we'll be staying on E. Tropicana Ave)and would LOVE to hike up to a few. They all look so amazing, but we'll only have time for a few at most, if they're close enough together. Any suggestions? Keep in mind that I'm a photographer as well and would find as much value in the scenery and surroundings as I would the cache itself. I don't really want to do Mt. Charleston because I've been there a few times and want something brand-new to discover. Plus...I hear there's a raging fire going on there now. =( I realize this is a long shot, but any help would be incredibly appreciated.

ps, we do plan to visit Death Valley and some caches there as well, so you can exclude that from any suggestions. =)

I been there as a cacher...

Here is what I like...

http://coord.info/GCQ596 One of the kind cache, you will never see another one like this. Period.

http://coord.info/GC18FMD A very nice earthcache. I really love the area.

And any of MR57 caches. :)

When I was there, it was during the summer and Mt. Charleston is the best place to go in my opinion. Its nice and cool there.

Sugar Dugar

is one of my favorites in Red Rocks Canyon Conservation Area. It is a loop drive that costs $7 but you will be glad you did it. Scenery that will look like an alien planet to someone from the east and plenty of great caches...

I go to LV every couple of years for a poker tournamentprofessional conference and always leave at least a day for caching. Over the years the area has become littered with pointless micros but there is a lot of space out there and still a lot of nice caches, you just have to be more selective.

Be aware that some of the caches in Red Rocks rated T2 would be 4's back here in Long Island! :) Some tough hombres out there in them hills! Then again, I would see grade school classes on the switchbacks above me as I was gasping for breath climbing over a rock. email me if you would like a few more ideas!

(I wish this hadn't gotten buried in the S/SW forum. This is certainly a topic of general interest!)

Thank you! I didn't think about Mt. Charleston being cooler. That might actually be one for us to do with the kids as well as the ones in the city-limits, I'm definitely putting all of these caches in my offline list. Hukilaulau, I responded to your email. Thanks so much for your help!

I've been eyeballin' a few but I noticed that none outside of city limits have been found since May, most certainly because of the harsh heat...but I'd kill to get some of these views!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC42EB

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCDF30

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGAV4

Sugar Dugar

is one of my favorites in Red Rocks Canyon Conservation Area. It is a loop drive that costs $7 but you will be glad you did it. Scenery that will look like an alien planet to someone from the east and plenty of great caches...

I go to LV every couple of years for a poker tournamentprofessional conference and always leave at least a day for caching. Over the years the area has become littered with pointless micros but there is a lot of space out there and still a lot of nice caches, you just have to be more selective.

Be aware that some of the caches in Red Rocks rated T2 would be 4's back here in Long Island! :) Some tough hombres out there in them hills! Then again, I would see grade school classes on the switchbacks above me as I was gasping for breath climbing over a rock. email me if you would like a few more ideas!

(I wish this hadn't gotten buried in the S/SW forum. This is certainly a topic of general interest!)

Thats why they do alot of alien planet movies shot there.

1. The fires are all out at Mt. Charleston so if that's on your agenda don't change your plans.

2. on 14 Jul you said you'd be here in a few weeks... the weather for the first week of Aug is calling for 102° everyday in the Valley. Pretty nice (:0), but maybe still a little warm for traipsing around too far unless you can drive to 5,000' or more first.

3. If you don't mind the heat and want some shorter walks, I second the Red Rock loop idea. Everything from traditional, to earth caches in there. Every parking area has short and long walks from it, and all walks have caches. A great walk is from the parking/picnic are near this cache: http://coord.info/GC2JE25. Park there and walk up towards La Madre Spring and the couple of caches in there. If it isn't too hot, continue up the hill past the springs and look for The Miner's Shack cache. (Be aware this is ALL up hill walking!!)

4. Your ideas are great too! Get south of town and check out some desert caches. Read descriptions closely, some require a bunch of desert/dirt road driving.

5. Finally, how about Death Valley??? If your fiance has never seen a desert I'll bet she's never seen 120° either!! Ok, actually they're calling for only 1112° all week next week. That's a good temperature for a visit (but not a hike!). At 110+ you can really feel the heat and imagine what it was like living here many years ago, without the fear of dying if your car breaks down. Also, I suspect it's the only place in the country where you can find a cache BELOW sea level.

6. Ok, almost done. :) Around town, look for virtuals. We have plenty and it's a good excuse to cruise the strip or visit a local park.