The cache hunt that turned into an Archaelogical lesson...

MAntunes

"Once upon a time" a Portuguese geocacher placed a cache in a hill that has a cave with a beatifull view and has an interesting terrain formation known as columnar jointing.

The cache was visited several times until I decided that my turn has just arrived.

When I get to the place I was surprised with about 20 persons with hammers, ropes, plastic bags, numbered stones, etc... Some were digging, others, writing labels on litle bags, others analizing things, etc... That was an Archaelogical team on work!

When I decided to visit the cache, I suspected that some signs of archaelogical work should be in the place, but... not that batalion of Archaelogists! That's because between previous visit and mine, some human bones were found just below the cache and the place was re-classified as Archaelogical relevant.

I was not aloud to get to the exact place of the cache. They retrieved it for me and asked if I wish to log my visit. Said no - I didn't found the cache by myself...

After the explanations they gave about the re-classification of the place, they were so kind that teached a live lesson to my son and my nephews. The kids apreciated it very much.

When I returned home, I e-mailed the cache owner suggesting him to archive the cache. He did it several days after in order to preserve the Archaelogists work.

( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=10527 )

Manuel Antunes

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer & Dean:

That is awesome! I'd love to have the opportunity to see an archeological dig in -Jennifer

Come on out to El Paso. I have a 5000 year old indian village ruin just 4 blocks from my home. It is called the Keystone site, and has been featured on National Geographic. We also have a mueseum devoted to archiology on the east side of the Franklin Mountains. Lots of dige in this part of the country.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I mean it, and am looking forward to a trip your direction soon actually. My parental units are moving this January to Las Cruces, and we are currently planning a visit for when they are settled. I printed your log so we'd know where to go. Thanks for the heads up on a really neat trip we will have to make....WE LOVE MUSEUMS almost as much as geocaching!

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

quote:

I mean it, and am looking forward to a trip your direction soon actually. My parental units are moving this January to Las Cruces, and we are currently planning a visit for when they are settled. I printed your log so we'd know where to go. Thanks for the heads up on a really neat trip we will have to make....WE LOVE MUSEUMS almost as much as geocaching!

-Jennifer

Lets see....

Hueco Tanks State Park: Indian pictographs and Butterfield Stage Coach station.

Franklin Mountains State Park: Hiking-biking-equestrian-GEOCACHING (37 Sq Miles) inside the city.

El Paso Archiological Museum.

Border Patrol Museum.

Ft. Bliss Air Defense Museum.

Biggs Airfield Museup of the NCO.

Ft. Bliss Replica Museum (Old Ft. Bliss).

Keystone Site: 5000 y/o indian village.

Mt Cristo Rey: Geologically significant volcanic mountain.

Kilbournes Hole: Geologically significant volcanic gas bubble.

I could go on. If I get your address, I will mail you some data. Come on out for a visit!

BTW, weather is a significant factor out here. When were you planning to come? I can predict what you will have.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

This cache is within a few hundred feet of this archaeological dig. I'm an avocational archaeologist who works at this site and I placed the cache so as to introduce the site to more people. I also thought it would be fun to watch geocachers hunt for the cache while I was out in the field.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

quote:

I mean it, and am looking forward to a trip your direction soon actually. My parental units are moving this January to Las Cruces, and we are currently planning a visit for when they are settled.

Hmmm, I've got friend's that grew up in Las Cruces, he makes it seem like nobody actually moves TO there, only away! LOL

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Lots of places seem that way. Las Cruces seems like a nice little town, another friend just moved there recently. It may be that the base there is really pulling people into it, but the locals don't stay.

Unfortunately, a lot of small towns Montana and the Dakotas actually HAVE the negative population increases that happen when the locals move out. It is really weird to drive through an area the size of some Eastern states and NOT encounter anyone for 150 miles.

I grew up in VA and it takes longer to cross MT from Lolo to North Dakota than it would take to go from DC to New York. That is kinda weird. Not to mention that those mile have ALOT fewer caches to find.

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

I sent you a packet of information I have gathered about outdoor stuff in the area. Hope you enjoy it. This is really one of the better places in the country to live. We are in the top 5 safest cities, and although it was 30 F this morning, it will be over 60 before sunset. If you can learn to love the desert, you will love it here. If there is one problem, it is the job market. But I guess that is everywhere right now too.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!!!

El Paso, Texas.

Years ago, before I got involved in geocaching, I went on a trip to California. My wife and I took a drive looking for a nice place to watch the sunset over the ocean. Well, were weren't finding it and the sun was getting closer to the horizon. Finally, at the last moment, we found a spot near Malibu, jumped out of the car and ran up the hill. We went past a sign saying that it was an archeological site and not to disturb anything. We were just going to sit on a rock and watch the sunset so we went on ahead.

Just as the sun kissed the horizon, there was a silouette of an island out there. My first thought was, "all this way to watch a sunset over the ocean and there's a dadgum island in the way." But I looked around and saw the stone chips.

Here was a place where an ancient tool maker chipped stone tools and, just at sunset, he would look up and see an island that was invisible in the light of day. A magic island.

It was a powerful connection with history.

So, when you are out in the wilderness and choose a cache location because of a beautiful view, look around. Someone might have beaten you to it by a thousand years.

Similar to Kordite's experience, at the excavation I work on (see above), we found evidence of a hearth (fire pit) overlooking a river. Next to the hearth we unearthed a large amount of flint and argelite chips, the remanants of someone working stone. In the hearth iteself, were several partially finished, but broken projectile points.

The evidence evokes a picture of a man, some 6 thousand years ago, spending an afternoon in front of a fire, overlooking the river, making spear points. Every once in a while, he'd mess up, say "dadgum" (or what ever word they used) and toss the broken point in the the fire.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln