NY North Country Cachers wanted

ubaphygg

:D

North Country Cachers you are invited

to attend the Star of the North Meet and Greet

:lol:

It is a simple coffee clache cache. Come for breakfast before you start your day.

I've been caching here for about 3 years and haven't heard of a get together that was closer than 2 hrs away, so here it is!

It's called Star of the North because that's where it is.

Come and say hello. :unsure: Are there cachers in the North Counry? :unsure:

I'd like to know if there is any interest in creating a NC Cachers group.

I apologize for the short notice,

uba phygg

Edited by ubaphygg

It is a simple coffee clache cache. Come for breakfast before you start your day.

I've been caching here for about 3 years and haven't heard of a get together that was closer than 2 hrs away, so here it is!

uba phygg

I will reply before it gets moved to the Mid-Atlantic forum, where no one will ever see it. :ph34r:

There have been, to my knowledge, two defunct North Country NY Geocaching organizations. The first one was so old (founded 2004ish) that I can't even remember the name of it. The 2nd one, bluelinegeocachers.org is a dead link (expired domain). I would contact a big name in North Country Geocaching who ran the 2nd one, GeoLobo. Maybe he knows if there's a replacement on Facebook (which I don't do), or perhaps give advice and/or his blessing on a 3rd try. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I will reply before it gets moved to the Mid-Atlantic forum, where no one will ever see it. :ph34r:

There have been, to my knowledge, two defunct North Country NY Geocaching organizations. The first one was so old (founded 2004ish) that I can't even remember the name of it. The 2nd one, bluelinegeocachers.org is a dead link (expired domain). I would contact a big name in North Country Geocaching who ran the 2nd one, GeoLobo. Maybe he knows if there's a replacement on Facebook (which I don't do), or perhaps give advice and/or his blessing on a 3rd try. :lol:

Thanks! - I wasn't sure of where to post this. I know about the blueline geocachers, but they are 2 hours from here in Long Lake or Blue Mountain Lake.

I thought something closer would be good.

I'll contact him to get his ideas.

uba phygg

Be careful about using abbreviations (NC) and regional names is this globally read forum. I live in NY and am not exactly sure where the North Country is located. Would the Potsdam/Canton area qualify because I'm considering about going up for the weekend when the Cornell Hockey team (I'm a season ticket holder) plays St. Lawrence and Clarkson this winter and attending a geocaching event for breakfast sounds like a nice addition to the trip.

Be careful about using abbreviations (NC) and regional names is this globally read forum. I live in NY and am not exactly sure where the North Country is located. Would the Potsdam/Canton area qualify because I'm considering about going up for the weekend when the Cornell Hockey team (I'm a season ticket holder) plays St. Lawrence and Clarkson this winter and attending a geocaching event for breakfast sounds like a nice addition to the trip.

Good point.

I'd say Potsdam definitely qualifies as North Country. About 30-40 minutes away.

I don't think the North country is defined; other than anything north of the southern boundary of the Adirondack Park. It's open to interpretation.

When I tell my friends in NJ that I live in upstate NY, they say "Westchester?" um, no. <g>

Good point.

I'd say Potsdam definitely qualifies as North Country. About 30-40 minutes away.

I don't think the North country is defined; other than anything north of the southern boundary of the Adirondack Park. It's open to interpretation.

When I tell my friends in NJ that I live in upstate NY, they say "Westchester?" um, no. <g>

I feel you're pain. I live in Ithaca, NY. It's not in "Central New York". Central New York usually refers to Albany, Schenectady, Rome, and sometimes even Syracuse. It's not Western New York. That's mostly Buffalo, Chautauqua, and even Rochester. It's not "Upstate NY" since as you suggest that's often a synonym for Westchester county. It's not even in the Southern Tier, though there are towns about 30 miles to the south that are considered to be in the southern tier. The best description is that it's in the Finger Lakes area, a geographically non-specific description.

Good point.

I feel you're pain. I live in Ithaca, NY. It's not in "Central New York". Central New York usually refers to Albany, Schenectady, Rome, and sometimes even Syracuse. It's not Western New York. That's mostly Buffalo, Chautauqua, and even Rochester. It's not "Upstate NY" since as you suggest that's often a synonym for Westchester county. It's not even in the Southern Tier, though there are towns about 30 miles to the south that are considered to be in the southern tier. The best description is that it's in the Finger Lakes area, a geographically non-specific description.

Would that be the foothills of the southern tier? :blink:

Oh even all the Watertown TV stations refer to themselves as being in "The North Country". I'd say draw a straight line from Oswego until you hit Vermont, and you're good. :laughing:

That would just about do it.

Now I hear a new term for the area - The Roof Top of NY. I guess that's Ogdensburg to Plattsburgh?

For a few years, I lived north of Plattsburgh. Anything from Rouses Point to Watertown was considered the North Country as far as I know. I used to pass through Malone on my way from Rouses Point (or Champlain) to Buffalo where my family lived. We will be up in the Adirondacks in August and again in September. Unfortunately, I will not be available for your event at the end of this month. Good luck with it!