Controlling the info available in your public profile

foam follower

I'd like the option/ability to suppress just about everything on the "public profile" page up to and including the total found count. I saw an old discussion about this which went back to 2009. That was only about total found count suppression (which is a good start), but I see no switch for that yet so I'm guessing the effort was unsuccessful.

Thanks for listening.

I'd like the option/ability to suppress just about everything on the "public profile" page up to and including the total found count. I saw an old discussion about this which went back to 2009. That was only about total found count suppression (which is a good start), but I see no switch for that yet so I'm guessing the effort was unsuccessful.

Thanks for listening.

You do have the option of not having anything show. Step one, don't log anything on your account. Step 2; that's it. If you don't want people to see something on the internet, don't put it there.

Many discussions about this for various reasons over recent years, and the answer is the same.

If you don't want people to know what you are doing, don't post it on the internet.

Now that I've looked at your profile, I can surmise you probably live somewhere near Hamilton, Ontario.

The silent black helicopters are on the way. :ph34r:

Various ideas have been proposed to give users more control of what is displayed. There are often responses about about not posting things on the net that you don't want people to see. Some of the things in the profile (such as the find count) have been part of the game since I started and I made my choice to participate. Souvenirs were added to the game and forced upon me. So there is, perhaps, a difference. But in general I would give more control to users to designate items as private or available only to friends.

Edited by geodarts

Given Groundspeaks software expertise the last organization I would want protecting my privacy is Groundspeak. Over all it is a bad idea. By the way, how does this integrate with the oft expressed need to have every find blasted over facebook and twitter 2.5 microseconds after you post the found log?

I'm fairly sure that somewhere in the fine print in the TOUs that I accepted when I signed up, I gave Groundspeak permission to use the information I provide when I log a cache. Actually it probably wasn't in the fine print of the TOUs when I signed up, but there was a clause saying that Groundspeak reserved the right to make changes. The latest version says that other than changes made for legal or administrative reasons or to correct and inaccuracy they will provide notice of the changes. That's new (and no I didn't get notice of that change, probably because it was legal; i.e., their lawyers told them to say that).

In addition Groundspeak has privacy policy that pretty much says they are going to share the data provided in logging caches. They make a reasonable assumption that the information you provide in a log is information you expect to be available to everyone and that you have accepted the TOUs which gave them permission to use this information. (Much like having adequate permission to place a cache).

When Groundspeak added statistics there was enough of an uproar that they did decide to provide some user settings. Most are there to customize thing like which maps you display or provide override for milestones if you logged caches out of order. But they did seem to acknowledge there might be a problem listing caches you found vs. distance from home. While they claim that by not listing the closest cache and furthest cache by name there was little chance that someone could figure out where you live. However they do provide the distances to the closest and furthest caches and for some people it would not be too difficult to go through their finds and figure out what these cache are and then triangulate their home position. However, one can opt out of displaying the section of the statistics that shows this information. So there is some precedent here for making a case to Groundspeak to provide additional options to opt out of some information appearing in one's public profile.

Here's the section from the TOUs

By submitting content to our services, you grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully transferable and sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content in any media now known or created in the future

And here's the privacy policy

Other Users. We may disclose personal information to other people who use our services if you choose to include personal information, such as your email address, photo or other details, in your public profile. Your username and location and any other information or content you post publicly will be shared with others when you use the public features of our services, such as logging a geocache or participating in the discussion forums.
Edited by tozainamboku

Thanks for listening.

I could see why GS would balk at implementing something like this. In order to suppress specific information in a user profile they'd have to persist the choice for every item for every user. The data store which holds user preferences would grow significantly.

Various ideas have been proposed to give users more control of what is displayed. There are often responses about about not posting things on the net that you don't want people to see. Some of the things in the profile (such as the find count) have been part of the game since I started and I made my choice to participate. Souvenirs were added to the game and forced upon me. So there is, perhaps, a difference. But in general I would give more control to users to designate items as private or available only to friends.

I agree. And the "don't post anything on the internet" argument is almost impossible these days. Cyber communication probably outweighs any other form of communication.

Edited by Löne R

Thanks for listening.

You do have the option of not having anything show. Step one, don't log anything on your account. Step 2; that's it. If you don't want people to see something on the internet, don't put it there.

oh my god you're so funny!

was this the right place to even post this? or is there a "tell Groundspeak what you think" link somewhere that i should have posted this on?

This is about the best place for posting this since what you're suggesting is essentially a new feature request....that said, often discussions about feature suggestion tend to drift off topic and Groundspeak won't participate in the discussion. As you'll also discover, very rarely do any of the features suggested here ever get implemented. In other words, while this might be the best place to post this suggestion, don't expect much from it.

was this the right place to even post this? or is there a "tell Groundspeak what you think" link somewhere that i should have posted this on?

It's the right place, but making a suggestion doesn't mean other people will agree with your suggestion. If everybody agrees with your suggestion you can be fairly confident Groundspeak will ignore it anyway.

It's the right place, but making a suggestion doesn't mean other people will agree with your suggestion. If everybody agrees with your suggestion you can be fairly confident Groundspeak will ignore it anyway.

Yes, it's unlikely that Groundspeak will act on the suggestion. You will have to come up with work-arounds.

Yes, it's unlikely that Groundspeak will act on the suggestion. You will have to come up with work-arounds.

you just did tell Groundspeak...as Jeremy says, it's all of us :P

Edited by suchanana

Thanks for listening.

Hi foam follower! Could you elaborate on why you think found count should be suppressible? Saying you found x caches doesn't violate your privacy and I see no other valid reason to not show it. Secondly, why do you feel the need to put your logs on the internet and at the same time not show the statistics associated with those logs? I just don't get what the big deal here is and I really want to understand.

About the distance of your finds from home. There's a simple workaround, don't list your exact home coordinates, but some general nearby location.

Secondly, why do you feel the need to put your logs on the internet and at the same time not show the statistics associated with those logs? I just don't get what the big deal here is and I really want to understand.

I can't speak for the OP, but to me it's a simple issue. I post logs on the site because that type of communication is important to the way that the game is played. I post photos because it is a way to share my experiences. I opt out of statistics because it is really no one's business but my own to know how long of a caching streak I have had, what is my longest slump, or what months I am most active.

The find count would be a closer issue with me, but if given the option I would probably chose to keep it private

Edited by geodarts

Secondly, why do you feel the need to put your logs on the internet and at the same time not show the statistics associated with those logs? I just don't get what the big deal here is and I really want to understand.

I can't speak for the OP, but to me it's a simple issue. I post logs on the site because that type of communication is important to the way that the game is played. I post photos because it is a way to share my experiences. I opt out of statistics because it is really no one's business but my own to know how long of a caching streak I have had, what is my longest slump, or what months I am most active.

The find count would be a closer issue with me, but if given the option I would probably chose to keep it private

But you can already choose to (not) show your statistics. Just go to Your Account Details, in the right column you can find the Statistics which you can modify to what you (do not) want to show on your profile.

I think showing the amount of finds useful by the way. Because when I receive a log that has something strangely described, I can see by the amount of finds if it is a beginner cacher or not. This might affect whether I react on a log or not. Just an example: when someone mentions something about a trackable but not using the word TB or coin, I can get triggered that this might be a cacher who doesn't know yet how the logging of trackables works and I will send him an e-mail to explain (if I can see he only has a few finds). Another example: someone posts a photo that is a bit of a spoiler. I often don't mind, but when it is a cacher who has only a few finds I will send him an e-mail explaining that in this situation it's fine, but he should be careful with posting photos that show info about waypoints etc.

That's how I feel too.

The numbers game bugged me when it started and it's getting worse with statistics, power trails and challenge caches. Now Groundspeak is encouraging caching streaks for souvenirs.

I'm being forced to participate in that part of the game -- my numbers are available to be compared to others. I would keep my finds private as a matter of principle.

Groundspeak provides an easy-access complete list of where someone's been. Where foam follower was in June 2010 is no one's right to know.

The statistics tab was forced on us but quickly became an option when there was enough of an outcry. Maybe, the same can happen with the public profile.

That's how I feel too.

The numbers game bugged me when it started and it's getting worse with statistics, power trails and challenge caches. Now Groundspeak is encouraging caching streaks for souvenirs.

I'm being forced to participate in that part of the game -- my numbers are available to be compared to others. I would keep my finds private as a matter of principle.

Groundspeak provides an easy-access complete list of where someone's been. Where foam follower was in June 2010 is no one's right to know.

The statistics tab was forced on us but quickly became an option when there was enough of an outcry. Maybe, the same can happen with the public profile.

Of course the flip side is to ask who really cares where foam follower was in June 2010. If you're concerned about being stalked or something I'd have thought your most recent finds say far more than where you were three years ago. If it's known you live in Boston and you suddenly start finding caches in Arizona it's pretty clear you're not home, which would seem to be of more concern than someone knowing you visited Oregon in 2010.

• Upvote 1

But you can already choose to (not) show your statistics. Just go to Your Account Details, in the right column you can find the Statistics which you can modify to what you (do not) want to show on your profile.

Right. Some people want that option for their profiles.

I think showing the amount of finds useful by the way. Because when I receive a log that has something strangely described, I can see by the amount of finds if it is a beginner cacher or not. This might affect whether I react on a log or not.

Someone's numbers doesn't affect whether I'm going to check our caches or not. First I read what they've said. Second it depends if the cache is tricky to find, I might wait for a 2nd DNF. If it sounds like they were looking in the correct spot I'll go check. The number of finds they have has little effect on whether I'll check our cache.

However, for those who like to judge a cacher by the number of finds I think a ball-park-figure should suffice on the profile page:

≤100

≥101

• Upvote 1

That's how I feel too.

If you're concerned about being stalked

Personally, I have no stalking issue. I just think it's no one's business where FF has been.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for listening.

Hi foam follower! Could you elaborate on why you think found count should be suppressible? Saying you found x caches doesn't violate your privacy and I see no other valid reason to not show it. Secondly, why do you feel the need to put your logs on the internet and at the same time not show the statistics associated with those logs? I just don't get what the big deal here is and I really want to understand.

About the distance of your finds from home. There's a simple workaround, don't list your exact home coordinates, but some general nearby location.

I very specifically avoided the use of the word privacy in my post. I certainly didn't say my privacy was being violated because that's a matter of legality and I don't read the TOUs anymore than most. TOU's are usually "do it our way or don't play" so why read them if you want to play. Lone R has summed up many of my issues quite nicely. Groundspeak has decided it is everyone's business where I've been. Groundspeak has decided it's everyone's business how many finds I've gotten. Groundspeak decided to plop up a big ol' statistics page - then Groundspeak decided I would be given the option of suppressing it (which I did). Now I'm wondering whether they could extend the same logic (whatever it was) which got them to that conclusion (ie. statistics were something I could decide to share or not) to other statistics (like how many caches I've found and a complete and concise dated history of my entire caching experience).

As to CO's feeling differently about my DNF's over other DNF's solely because of how they rate my caching abilities by using my found count, I agree it's a positive for them and perhaps for others. Beyond that, the found count is just another statistic. It has no other benefit other than ranking. So maybe allow me the option of putting that number out there or not.

Privacy is a hot issue of late. There are a lot of people vehemently arguing both sides of a word whose definition is amorphous at best. I prefer to present it this way - it would be a nice courtesy if Groundspeak allowed me to make some more decisions in regards to the information which i provided them in the course of playing this game. It's probably not my information anymore, but I did provide it - extend a courtesy - that's all.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

That's how I feel too.

If you're concerned about being stalked

Personally, I have no stalking issue. I just think it's no one's business where FF has been.

I figure if someone's life is empty enough that they care where I was geocaching three years ago they're more deserving of pity than anything else. It's not as if very many people online even know who I am, so what difference does it make if someone (or one or more members of a group) going by the name "team tisri" found a cache in Dorking in June 2013?

If someone logs something on a cache page, Google will find it.

Sure people google, but that form of access requires more work, which most won't bother doing.

Do people feel it's important to the game that you have a chronological list of where Foam has been? And if so, why?

If Foam followed the advice of some, that s/he should stop logging finds then I, as a CO would have missed out on some nice online comments (example: "definitely wins the mad inventor award"). As a CO I would much prefer getting the online comments, then have people encourage finders not to log their finds. the communication via the individual cache pages is important to the game.

Here's a work-around idea with regards to googling. Make access more difficult - if you're a PM, make all your cache hides PMO.

Sure people google, but that form of access requires more work, which most won't bother doing.

Do people feel it's important to the game that you have a chronological list of where Foam has been? And if so, why?

If Foam followed the advice of some, that s/he should stop logging finds then I, as a CO would have missed out on some nice online comments (example: "definitely wins the mad inventor award"). As a CO I would much prefer getting the online comments, then have people encourage finders not to log their finds. the communication via the individual cache pages is important to the game.

Here's a work-around idea with regards to googling. Make access more difficult - if you're a PM, make all your cache hides PMO.

I don't care where Foam has been. I just don't see why it's so important to hide the logs. If it's such a big deal it's easy enough to change the profile page so that the "all geocache finds" link is removed and the individual cache types become plain text rather than links.

I guess it depends what kind of user you're looking to hide your activity from. If you're worried about the casual user I'd have to ask why you care if someone can see what caches you've found, and if you're worried about a more serious stalker the best solution is not to post stuff online at all.

I don't care where Foam has been. I just don't see why it's so important to hide the logs. If it's such a big deal it's easy enough to change the profile page so that the "all geocache finds" link is removed and the individual cache types become plain text rather than links.

That's what I'd like to see happen. I personally don't want a handy-dandy chronological list of where I've been handed out to anybody who's curious. With smartphones and instant logging it's easy to track someone in real-time.

Edited by Löne R

I think showing the amount of finds useful by the way. Because when I receive a log that has something strangely described, I can see by the amount of finds if it is a beginner cacher or not. This might affect whether I react on a log or not.

I find it less useful these days with the rise of repetitive caching - a thousand finds tells me little about the cacher's experience or ability. I primarily rely on a log's content, but if experience is a factor then perhaps noting how long the game has been played might be as useful as how many finds a person has to their name. Still, I have no problem with the find count being displayed on a log -- perhaps because that has been part of the game from the time that I started.

Determining what should be on a profile is a different issue. When souvenirs were added and people began to collect geocoin icons, I told my daughter that I cannot imagine anyone looking through my profile to see either one. Still, if I could, I would remove souvenirs because I have no interest in Groundspeak's awards. Whether I have cached on a particular day or visited a particular country or state is my business alone. If you want to see my real souvenirs, look at my photo gallery.

So if I were designing the profile, I would try to separate what might be useful to the community as part of this game from things that are personal to the user. That may be a difficult balance. I do not know anybody that needs to see a list of every cache I have found, but listing logs from the last 30 days (whether finds or dnfs) could help CO's who want to determine if a cacher was armchairing a large number of finds from all over the world or otherwise finding most of the caches that they have actually sought..

I do not expect Groundspeak will do anything more than give people the opportunity to opt our of statistics. I think they have determined that caching is about the numbers and that they know best about what we might want on our profile.

That's what I'd like to see happen. I personally don't want a handy-dandy chronological list of where I've been handed out to anybody who's curious. With smartphones and instant logging it's easy to track someone in real-time.

Since it's unlikely GS will actually implement anything even if it is a 5-minute job the obvious solution is not to log in real time.

Which rather blows away the benefits of caching with a smartphone, but I guess that's the way they want the game to be. Makes me glad I'm an old fashioned cacher who uses a GPS and logs finds when I get around to it.

I guess it depends what kind of user you're looking to hide your activity from. If you're worried about the casual user I'd have to ask why you care if someone can see what caches you've found, and if you're worried about a more serious stalker the best solution is not to post stuff online at all.

This is what I was leading up to.

Hiding your activity on Geocaching.com will only hide your activity from the casual observer who might simply like to see your well-written logs and perhaps decide to hunt those same caches you enjoyed.

A person with malicious intent will only be slowed down. Perhaps not even very much.

They will find your logs and do whatever they were going to do with the information.