Any snake experts?

I was out caching in Carroll Canyon near San Diego (CA) yesterday, and came across this snake which I hope someone can identify for me. It was about 3-4 feet long and was quite thin, had no rattle (otherwise I wouldn't have got so close!), and slid off into the grass shortly after I took these pictures.

• head47b3dd22b3127cce94a8d8bd5a720000004611

• pattern on the back47b3dd22b3127cce94a8d9789b1f0000003610

• most of the head and body47b3dd22b3127cce94a8d8b0db4f0000003610

It didn't look threatening, but I'd quite like to know if it's poisonous, for future reference ;-)

These are not poisonous, and usually quite harmless. Usually as in when you haven't stepped on it, grabbed it, or otherwise annoyed it.

Like any snake, the bite is prone to infection and they can carry salmonella.

If found young they can make very good pets. Older specimens don't take well to being handled. They can grow up to 5 to 6 feet in length, but do not have an especially heavy body, so may only weigh 1.5 to 2 kilograms as an adult.

In California you need a minimum of a fishing license to collect snakes from the wild (I know, it is not a fish, but those are the regs....). Other collection permits may be required also. Collection is not allowed in many areas, so check with the local office of Fish and Game and the property managers of parks or other public lands before doing so. Also remember that keeping snakes requires exotic pet permits in many California cities.

Great photos, by the way!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

I'm no expert, but it looks like a bull snake. At first glance they look like rattle snakes, but aren't poisonous. I've heard they eat rattle snakes. Years ago I attended a grade school by South Mountain near Phx., Az. Someone found one in the school yard. A teacher went out there to catch it and was bitten. We all thought the bite marks were "cool".

Yes, it is definitely a Gopher Snake. They are one of the most common snakes in the San Diego area. I have caught (so the kids and wife could take a close look at them) and released many of them. They are not poisonous, but they will try to bite you, so you have to be quick to grab them.

RM

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Jeff:

Well, there you go. If I come across anything that slithers out here in the Arizona desert, I normally just shoot it.

Ugh... me expect-em white-man kill snake, not injun! Snake GOOD!!!!!

Most snakes are not evil, REALLY! They are as afraid of you as you are of them. They want to be left alone. They will not fight or bite unless provoked. If it looks like one is being evil, it is usually because you cannot see what it is protecting, like its young.

Venomous snakes do not want to bite you either. As often as not, or maybe more often, a venomous snake doesn't inject poison in the bite. But do you want to take the chance? The venom is used to kill food. If the snake wastes that venom on you, but cannot eat you, it may go hungry that day.

Bottom line, if you leave most snakes alone, they will leave you alone. If you do meet one of the few truly EVIL snakes that chases you, RUN!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Jeff:

Well, there you go. If I come across anything that slithers out here in the Arizona desert, I normally just shoot it.

Ugh... me expect-em white-man kill snake, not injun! Snake GOOD!!!!!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Maybe Jeff was talking about the polititions?

... not known to eat other snakes, but GREAT mousers. as previously stated definately NOT poisonous, however,... they can do a GREAT imitation of a rattler. when threatened they can vibrate their tails, and in dry leaves they sound exactly like the buzz of a rattler. good photos for identification, thanks for sharing. Riverranger

having to do what the voices in my GPSr tell me to do...

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Bottom line, if you leave most snakes alone, they will leave you alone. If you do meet one of the few truly EVIL snakes that chases you, _RUN!_

I expect they aren't a problem in El Paso but here in Central Texas we've got cottonmouths in nearly every stream. They are agressive. They will cross a creek to chase you as has happened several times to us. I normally don't bother snakes as they don't bother me. In fact I like rattlers, they eat rats and such. Rattlers I leave alone. But when we're down playing near our creek and see a water-moc I shoot it. I keep a 12ga in the truck for this sole purpose. I don't like doing it but I don't need my son to get bitten.

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News