Fix cache problems or not

I see different references to in topics about finding caches with problems and what the finder should do.

Examples..

PT where they are widening the road and it will remove 20 to 30 out of 80

Logs are mush

Logs are very wet but may dry and be usable

Container sun rotted or cracked

Log full, otherwise fine.

Cache is tossed on the ground several feet away from post or tree where it probably was set and in a area where the county mows the grass

I started 3 yrs ago doing only hiking stuff, quit for a couple years and back doing whatever I see on the map. I was told when I started to try to help keep the stuff you find in good condition so they are there for the next GC'r. Replace bad logs, containers if you have the right one Etc.

See post saying you shouldn't touch anything, just put a need maintenance.

What's the best thing?

There really isn't a 'best' thing, overall, as each of us view these things in a different light.

We know that even the best cache can fail, and fixing them is a topic which comes up fairly often.

For me, I will go miles out of my way, and spend a bunch of $$$, fixing what I perceive to be a quality cache.

I do this because I value the existence of such a cache, and want to see it remain in play.

But I will not walk five feet, or spend five cents, to fix a crappy cache.

Someone who hides crappy caches needs to learn that their containers suck.

If I fix them, they'll never learn that valuable lesson.

You have to make up your own mind on what you're going to do.

The way I made my decision was by asking, "do I know the CO?". If I do, are they an ethical geocacher? If yes, then I perform maint on their cache and note exactly what I did in my online log. Down the road, if given the chance, they'll return the favor.

If I don't know them, or know them to be a shady or low-info cacher and the maint is more than a quick fix, then I'll just mention the needed maint in my log. I'll never look back or check to see if they did the maint. That's the CO's problem.

There really isn't an answer. If the cache container is broken with soaked log and the CO appears to be inactive I'd take it and log a NA. If the co is active I'd log NM. I know the CO-I'd tell them directly what the problem is.

Wet log-I'd replace it(if I have one with me) and if I know the CO I'd take the old one and give it to them.

Your road construction example? again if I knew the CO I'd grab it, take it home and log a note, and contact the CO. I find it while caching away from home(and it's not a pill bottle or something like that)? Rehide it nearby, only if it's in immediate danger, and make a note and maybe a NM log on the cache page with present co-ords.

It all depends-do you know the CO? Are you able to do anything? Is the CO active? What's the problem?

It comes down to this-if unsure, just log a note/NM/NA as appropriate.

If it's an old cache in really bad shape, with inactive CO, it's probably best not to fix it up.

8578460830_92f6122cc7.jpg

This cache has an active owner. There have been years of reports of the terrible condition of the cache but only 1 NM. The owner does nothing. Then along comes a finder and leaves a fresh logsheet in a baggie. Why would the owner do anything now? He knows there's a fresh logsheet. When I found it I added the 2nd NM and included the above photo, despite the fresh logsheet. I personally think the person who put in the logsheet enabled this cache owner to continue to disregard maintenance on his caches (of which he has placed 100s). As Clan Riffster says "Don't be a crappy cache enabler." Check the COs modus operandi - if they take care of their caches and respond in a timely fashion then certainly, help with some assistance and let them know what maintenance you provided. If it's a full logbook, perhaps add enough paper to allow the cache owner a month to get to the cache.

If there's a problem with the container let the owner know. Seriously, let the owner know (maybe include a photo of the contents). There have been times that I've visited one of my caches only to find a problem and no one said anything.

I always try and do some temporary repair if I can, not altering any part of the cache that isn't necessary and only holding it over until the CO does their own work on it. Then in my log I'll put a Needs Maintenance to let the CO know I did some temp work but they'll need to repair the rest to make it usable in the game.

I see different references to in topics about finding caches with problems and what the finder should do.

Examples..

PT where they are widening the road and it will remove 20 to 30 out of 80

Logs are mush

Logs are very wet but may dry and be usable

Container sun rotted or cracked

Log full, otherwise fine.

Cache is tossed on the ground several feet away from post or tree where it probably was set and in a area where the county mows the grass

I started 3 yrs ago doing only hiking stuff, quit for a couple years and back doing whatever I see on the map. I was told when I started to try to help keep the stuff you find in good condition so they are there for the next GC'r. Replace bad logs, containers if you have the right one Etc.

See post saying you shouldn't touch anything, just put a need maintenance.

What's the best thing?

"PT where they are widening the road and it will remove 20 to 30 out of 80" Post NM and email the CO.

"Logs are mush" Post NM and add new log sheet if the rest of the cache is OK then email the CO.

"Logs are very wet but may dry and be usable" add log sheet.

"Container sun rotted or cracked" Post NM and email the CO.

"Log full, otherwise fine." Replace Log and email CO.

"Cache is tossed on the ground several feet away from post or tree where it probably was set and in a area where the county mows the grass" Replace cache where it probably was and email the CO

I add log sheets if it's full or wet (beyond being able to write on the with w/o tearing) and have started to place micro log sheets in small ziploc bags to keep them dry if they are in a crappy container.

Recently I lost the cap of a film canister cache when tracking back to the car 30 feet, looked around and couldn't find it. I happened to have a TON of camo bill bottles with me so just swapped out that cache container. Beyond that I wouldn't change the cache, I'd just post a NM.

Posting an NM automatically sends an email to the CO. You don't have to do it twice.

In my NM I would state what the problems are, in the email I would depending on the situation or location whatever, offer to help out with the maintenance to be done or in a couple of cases offer to adopt the cache. In the case where the cache was moved back to where most likely belongs, I would include a good discription of where it was moved.

I should have added that I don't always follow up with an email.

You have to make up your own mind on what you're going to do.

The way I made my decision was by asking, "do I know the CO?". If I do, are they an ethical geocacher? If yes, then I perform maint on their cache and note exactly what I did in my online log. Down the road, if given the chance, they'll return the favor.

If I don't know them, or know them to be a shady or low-info cacher and the maint is more than a quick fix, then I'll just mention the needed maint in my log. I'll never look back or check to see if they did the maint. That's the CO's problem.

Actually, I think it is all of our problem. New cachers see this and think that it is the standard. They then hide the same thing and have the same attitude about maintenance.

I help when reasonably able. I carry some temp logs and I have only really needed to replace a few. But I'm new. I'm still excited to play and help when able. A couple of times I've seen some caches in dire need of repair. One time I offered the CO help and did the maintenance for him. But I will log a NM with the support as mentioned.

Is there anybody out there that even bothers to filer out NM tagged caches? NM is becoming more meaningless and increasingly worthless every day. And the joke of tagging a cache with NM on a cache that was abandoned 5 years ago. Who are they informing exactly? Then a "good Samaritan" might come along and fix the problem, but the NM lives on for the life of the cache. What is the stupid thing accomplishing? It does make it a little easier to identify problem abandoned caches so they can be tagged for archival.

If I am able to dump some sand or leaves out, add a new log sheet, put something in a baggie, or replace a broken container, I will. I leave caches "as found or better". It doesn't matter if I know the CO, if s/he is ethical or shady, active or lazy, or needs to be taught a lesson. I think it is the right thing to do to leave things nicer for the next cacher. You do what you think is right.

Is there anybody out there that even bothers to filer out NM tagged caches? NM is becoming more meaningless and increasingly worthless every day. And the joke of tagging a cache with NM on a cache that was abandoned 5 years ago. Who are they informing exactly? Then a "good Samaritan" might come along and fix the problem, but the NM lives on for the life of the cache. What is the stupid thing accomplishing? It does make it a little easier to identify problem abandoned caches so they can be tagged for archival.

I guess a few NM logs make it clear to a reviewer that an NA log isn't an act of spite but a followup to a succession of NM logs that have gone ignored.

If I am able to dump some sand or leaves out, add a new log sheet, put something in a baggie, or replace a broken container, I will. I leave caches "as found or better". It doesn't matter if I know the CO, if s/he is ethical or shady, active or lazy, or needs to be taught a lesson. I think it is the right thing to do to leave things nicer for the next cacher. You do what you think is right.

Something simple like emptying out water or sand seem pretty basic. My concern is that doing much routine maintenance over and above the very basics, for a cacher who routinely places caches and then fails to maintain them, is that it can easily teach new cachers that they don't need to bother with maintenance because someone else will do it for them.

If a CO normally does maintain their caches but I find one of theirs that needs a little TLC I don't have a problem with fixing it up if I've got what is needed. If a CO routinely doesn't maintain caches I'm more likely to just leave NM and put it on my watch list with a view to posting NA later if they still don't bother. No point keeping zombie caches alive when you could clear the area for someone to place a cache they'll maintain.

If a CO normally does maintain their caches but I find one of theirs that needs a little TLC I don't have a problem with fixing it up if I've got what is needed. If a CO routinely doesn't maintain caches I'm more likely to just leave NM and put it on my watch list with a view to posting NA later if they still don't bother. No point keeping zombie caches alive when you could clear the area for someone to place a cache they'll maintain.

I like that. It should be added to the Geocaching Lexicon. Might even use it in some subsequent NA's.